Eibach spring question - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2016, 06:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Default Eibach spring question

Now usually Im dealing with coilovers but i have a theory..

Now someone chime in and tell me if this will or will not work.

My 13 Camry is on Eibach's (pro-kit) which is supposed to be progressive.

Now the pro-kit isnt low enough and eibach doesnt make sportlines for my model. I was just thinking if this might work..

Take a few washers (1/4" thick") and put them between the top-hat and top-hat nut that compresses the whole spring strut assembly. Im thinking this should compress the springs a little more AND lower the car 1/4" to 1/2" more.
Now just the opposite thoery:
Now, since the strut assembly compresses when letting the car off the jack/lift/stands, the spring will compress and the car will continue to be the same height, but spring will be more in the progressive area.

Before I try this, Id just like to get someone who might tell me to do it or not to do it..

Coilovers are only 640 shipped, but $$ is tight right now.

Eibach fender gap

OEM 4x4 gap

People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2016, 08:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

I would say option 2. While you are compressing the spring you are just pushing the top of it down ... while still maintaining the length and mounting height via the washers. Any height you would have lost by getting extra compression on the spring is most likely taken up by the washers. You'd probably get a bit stiffer ride from it just because of the preload (I'm not sure how much). But I think the only way you are going to lower the car with a setup like that is to move the spring perch lower on the strut.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2016, 08:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Anything you can do to move the top and bottom spring perches closer together will lower the car.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelEspinoza View Post
Anything you can do to move the top and bottom spring perches closer together will lower the car.
See, this is what I thought..

Auto-X theres struts on all 4 corners.. cant move any perches. I wish it were coilovers.

I didnt think I would be this unhappy with springs on a family sedan or I wouldve just gotten coilovers.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelEspinoza View Post
But wouldn't the washers keep the car at the same height?

I think about it like this. If you have a spring compressed between two things that are held 5" apart (for example). Then you stick a 1" spacer on top of the spring ... the spring will become more compressed, but the things will still remain 5" apart.

I think the washers would only affect the preload.

Ninja Edit: I think we might be saying the same thing in different ways.

What about the set up don't you like, the way it rides ... or does it just not go low enough? I think it's plenty low ... but that's purely subjective. If they're riding a little soft for you I think your washer trick would work to increase the preload and thus (potentially) reduce body roll.

In any case ... there's really no reason not to try it. If it works, you've saved yourself the price of some coilovers. If it doesn't, it hasn't cost you anything but time and you got to wrench on your car ... which is always fun.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2016, 01:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Well the bottom part of the strut doesnt move. putting the top hat on compresses the spring with the nut.

putting washers between the top hat and the nut will compress the springs more thus pushing down the top-hat. Now the top hat screws to the shock tower. So Im thinking it should lower the car more and get a touch stiffer.

Also..

OEM "SE" spring rates are 180
Eibach are progressive 170 to 210 as they cover the LE, SE, and XLE.

The SE OEM springs are suposed to be "sport tuned" which they were stiff, but these eibachs are too soft for my liking.

Also the fender gap changes. sometimes its a 2 finger gap, other times its a 4 finger gap. Id like no gap to a 2 finger.

Its just a pain in the ass as I have to drive to buddies shop, dis-assemble everyting, and give it a go.

This is a pic when the springs were installed.

Last edited by Esotericimage; 09-15-2016 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 10 v4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Maybe a stupid question, but when adding washers why wouldn't the spring just extend the strut out slightly further to achieve its uncompressed length as allowed by the strut assembly?
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2016, 09:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Uhhh because im not looking for un-compressed length.

Old 09-17-2016, 11:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

adding the washers might change static preload and OAL, but once the cars weight is on the suspension the only change would be where the piston is located in the shock tube.

per Lee Grimes who just left here 20 minutes ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2016, 06:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

^ Yeppers.

snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2016, 08:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Ahhh

See, i was thinking that same thing as well. Once the cars sits down on the struts, the springs will be compressed anyways. This is where the confusion was.

thx Bone

Saved me from ripping everything apart.

Old 09-18-2016, 04:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Play with RC cars, helps visual understand things

Sag/Droop for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2017, 03:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Bringing this up from the dead..

Heres pics from Eibach's site:

Now as you see from my pics, AFTER the springs are on, My ride looks like the before pic..

I tried contacting Eibach many times with no reply.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in