Please help me determine the best course forward with my wheels and brakes - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Which option is the best option in your opinion?
Si wheels & high end wheel locks 5 71.43%
ARP extended studs, Timkin bearings, and a fat wheel spacer 1 14.29%
Those silly wheel spacers with another set of wheel studs built in. 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2016, 09:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Rep Power: 4 hondur is learning the way of the Dhondur is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Question Please help me determine the best course forward with my wheels and brakes

I bought some 15" GM steel wheels, hoping they would clear my new integra type r brake calipers. They do not, I had to put my lug nuts on before the wheel in order for it to clear the caliper. The offset is that terrible on these pieces of shit. But, I would prefer steel wheels.

I can either buy Si (or whatever) wheels and some high end locking lug nuts, or press the hub off the spindle, hammer the old studs out, install ARP extended wheel studs, Timkin bearings and a huge (aprox. 2 centimeter) wheel spacer, or buy a pair of those two inch wheel spacers that have another set of wheel studs built into them. I like the steel wheels better, no one would steal them unlike Si wheels. They're cheaper to replace, easier to find, etc. But, I'm not about to double the budget for this to keep steel wheels.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by hondur; 08-23-2016 at 09:32 PM.
hondur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2016, 10:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series SoCal Division

Rep Power: 16 AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!
AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

ITR brake calipers with 11.1" rotors will clear gsr wheels no problem. With that being said, I'm assuming the si and gsr have reletively the same wheel dimensions.

I'm 99% sure the si wheels fit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1993 civic dx hatch
jdm d15b vtec obd1
web level 1 cam
15g turbo 13 psi
STOLEN!
AJAY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2016, 10:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

i voted for si wheels and locking lug nuts, however you can make stock lug nuts locking by welding one of them to the stud. Impossible to remove unless you break the stud off.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 12:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervan View Post
i voted for si wheels and locking lug nuts, however you can make stock lug nuts locking by welding one of them to the stud. Impossible to remove unless you break the stud off.
So, when you get a flat or time for new tires?
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2016, 12:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 4 hondur is learning the way of the Dhondur is learning the way of the D

Does anyone happen to know if 15" 7th gen. civic steel wheels have the necessary clearance for integra type r brake calipers?
Old 08-24-2016, 02:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

DIY: The No BS Bolt on Big brakes for RS/GS/LS/GSR - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

to see what wheels will clear.
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2016, 04:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
Excellent! I searched for a while and only found a similar resource on honda tech, and it sucked in comparison. It made absolutely no mention of steel wheels, and this version is the thread I actually wanted too. I remember it because I did use TSX pads. I ordered the dorman oem equivalent to carefully test fit it before traveling all the way to a junkyard or wasting my time trying to find one of the three legitimate people out of fifty thousand on Honda Game.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowFlyin' View Post
So, when you get a flat or time for new tires?
If all you have to do is break the stud off to change the tire, drive to the nearest repair shop and install a new stud then sure, atleast your 800$ rims are still attached to your car at the end of the day.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2016, 11:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 12 Faztec1 will become famous soon enoughFaztec1 will become famous soon enoughFaztec1 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Quote:
If all you have to do is break the stud off to change the tire, drive to the nearest repair shop and install a new stud then sure, atleast your 800$ rims are still attached to your car at the end of the day.
Or the thief breaks the studs for you and you have no wheels AND broken studs to replace!
Faztec1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2016, 10:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

Or, for a cheaper price than what it will cost to have a repair shop change a stud on a spindle that doesn't have a relief to change studs without hub removal, you could simply buy some nice lock lug nuts.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

$25 for gorilla locks is a no brainer and the first thing on every car I own. Serialized key and spinning collar. Stupid easy protection.

Last edited by Chrisfrom1986; 08-30-2016 at 02:41 AM.
Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2016, 03:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
You do know that you have to press the hub out of the front knuckle to install a new stud, right?

...and when you press out the hub you compromise the bearing, so there's that expense, too.

Nevermind, it's a good idea. You should continue to use this method.
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2016, 12:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

robgoof Still a JDM Star....robgoof Still a JDM Star....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowFlyin' View Post
You do know that you have to press the hub out of the front knuckle to install a new stud, right?

haha ,my brother didn;t ..but.that kid aint right .
robgoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2016, 09:09 AM   #14 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

DOwngrade brake calipers, upgrade brake pads, and use Hawk HP+ pads. I will never look back again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2016, 10:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerD View Post
DOwngrade brake calipers, upgrade brake pads, and use Hawk HP+ pads. I will never look back again.
What calipers do you think he should be using?

I like that 11" mini rotor, ITR/Accord caliper, and TSX pad setup though. Next time I need new brakes I might go that way.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

I am using stock Civic calipers with 9.whatever" discs.

Can lock em up at any time if I want to. I had never run hawk race pads before, only various other "performance" pads and the usual over the counter crap.

Now that I have tried these pads, I can say the dust and noise is a bit of a joke, but the performance is absolutely GREAT! I never thought stock brakes could work so good.

So now that the car stops, the benefits of the lighter discs and calipers means I have a faster car that handles better.
Quote:
Old 09-04-2016, 08:18 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano

Quote:

Can lock em up at any time if I want to. I had never run hawk race pads before, only various other "performance" pads and the usual over the counter crap.

Now that I have tried these pads, I can say the dust and noise is a bit of a joke, but the performance is absolutely GREAT! I never thought stock brakes could work so good.

So now that the car stops, the benefits of the lighter discs and calipers means I have a faster car that handles better.
Usually larger brakes are for heat and fade resistance, not because you cant lock up the brakes.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:42 AM   #18 (permalink)
Classic Man

Those are both benefits, sorry I didnt write them out for you!
Quote:
Old 09-04-2016, 12:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
You recommended smaller brakes, because:

Quote:

Can lock em up at any time if I want to.
Any factory car can lock up the brakes, bigger brakes are not to help you lock them up, it is to help you brake repeatedly without fade or damage.

Telling people to downgrade their brakes because factory sized ones can lock the tires is like saying: "Hey guys, I pulled the turbo off my honda and it runs and gets good gas mileage! So you should all get rid of your turbos too!"
Old 09-04-2016, 03:30 PM   #20 (permalink)
Classic Man

Well joel, since you are perfect, I guess I didnt write my post out properly the first time.

Sorry it wasn't done perfectly for you. I didnt realise my wording had to be up to your spec. You could just shut the fuck up, though. That might be the ticket.
Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in