how stiff a spring for street driving? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2016, 07:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 10 v4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default how stiff a spring for street driving?

assuming a well matched shock how stiff are the springs you guys are using?
I am on eibach pro kits and they are too soft for me, too much body roll even with ST sway bars.
i see a lot of really stiff springs on coilovers going as high as 9 kg/mm in front an 6kg/mm in the rear, concerned that much spring is going to be very harsh and choppy on a CRX on city streets, I want firmer and better...but thats a lot more than i have ever done.
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2016, 07:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

The damper makes all the difference. A good damper will make stiff springs ride very nicely.

That said there are still trade offs. How much money are you willing to spend?

A lot of people here swear by the Koni/GC combo which is supposed to be very capable in track settings and ride all right.

I ran PIC selects 12kf/10kr and I didn't mind it too much. It was a little harsh for long drives and if I had it do do over again I'd probably go 10kf/8kr. But if 9/6 is too soft for you, might want to step it up a bit.

I believe PIC will do custom rates if you contact them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<--- Stolen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2016, 08:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 10 v4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to all

in the past i had an accord wagon with neuspeed konis and neuspeed race springs, worked pretty well, but the longer car makes a smoother ride no matter what. my h22 94 hatch had tokico illuminas with generic coilover sleeves with the 350lb in in the rear and 250 in front.

right now the eibachs pro kits i have are on gr-2's which i dont think is a good match, but they came off another car i flipped and were in better shape than the stockers. I commute 2 times a week for work about 200 miles on Houston hell roads. some level of comfort is a must.

where can PIC coilovers be purchased? I have seen the name around before but mostly the images just looked like every other East Asian import coilovers and just figured they were another player trying to make their place...I am not sure about price, I know from past experience that having lots of adjustability is not an important factor to me, good match between shock and spring is worth so much more. long term durability is number two. The way I see it the more moving parts the more places the stuff can fail, so I tend to shy away from stuff with a ton of adjustment that is very much race oriented. I have considered koni yellows again, but definitely want stiffer springs.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

oh yeah odds of me hitting a track...almost none. I think about doing an autocross from time to time, but my time is taken up more in working on my home, shooting or family time.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Why can't you us normal numbers instead of the ricer numbers?

Neuspeed RACE springs on Koni yellows with GC hats in the front, fun for autcross and some tracking, OK on smooth drives, but rough on my local roadways, was also beating the CRX apart at the seams.

Wanna buy them????

People have ran stiffer, but why? Better dampers would have helped, but Motons would have been more than the car is worth and only really needed for SCCA racing.

250-400VR in the front, 150-300VR in the rear, on Koni Yellows, or using a dual spring setup which would not be cheap, but as suggested while brainstorming with CRX Lee Grimes @ KONI NA, a customer of mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2016, 11:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Are you referring to metri metri measures as ricer? Kind of lost me on that. I guess if metric is rice tha makes sense since damn near everything on the car is measured Abe spec'd metric...

So you recommend as heavy as 400inlb front and 350 rear...and then try and sell me 575 front with 540 rear? ( in rice measure thats 10.2 and 9.6 kg/mm).
Old 06-26-2016, 11:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

PICs can be had at PICperformance.com ... since you aren't planning on ever hitting the track you may not need the selects as the adjustable damping may be next to useless for you.

Hmmm. Just looked at their website and they don't appear to have the non-adjustable ones available online. You might try contacting them to see if those are still a thing since that would save you a little bit of coin.

Or grab the ones Bone posted up. He's had plenty of experience on different set ups and different types of racing. If he says it's good, I'd be inclined to take his word for it.

Also the progressive rates (I assume VR is variable rate) on that set up will make for a nice mild commute, that will still perform when you decide to get after some twisties or and AutoX event.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2016, 04:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by v4lu3s View Post
Are you referring to metri metri measures as ricer? Kind of lost me on that. I guess if metric is rice tha makes sense since damn near everything on the car is measured Abe spec'd metric...

So you recommend as heavy as 400inlb front and 350 rear...and then try and sell me 575 front with 540 rear? ( in rice measure thats 10.2 and 9.6 kg/mm).
Mine were rated 460F/370R, or was it 470F/360R? Being single rate they were too stiff for me. When your body becomes a damper, something is wrong.

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

If ur not tracking, the hr touring cup kit has sport springs that are progressive and custom valved yellows and it rides like a dream, rotates nicely though corners and is definitely a nicer ride than worn but functional stock stuff.

If u were inclined that direction I'd encourage you, it's an awesome street biased setup, and the front has 2 height mounting provisions so u can adjust the attitude at which ur car sits to an extent.

200% would purchase again....but I'm a noob, might be better stuff out there for the price ($650+tax)

Last edited by evotec1; 06-28-2016 at 02:23 PM.
evotec1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2016, 03:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

koni oranges and a set of 300F/200R springs from a decent brand would be a great combo for the street without tearing your spine apart.

bone's setup would do well for you, his crx is super lightweight and very easy to get thrown around.

if you have a full interior and its not an HF, you might enjoy bones setup quite a lot

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2016, 05:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
Neuspeed RACE springs on Koni yellows with GC hats in the front...
Bone Neuspeed race springs are yellow with red writing. You've got H&R race springs on those Koni yellow.

H&R Race
94-01 Integra Race spring – 460F/360R
92-95 Civic Race spring – 490F/400R

Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2016, 08:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

so I get the names mixed up, they are for a CRX anyways.

Koni just announced a shock/spring package using Eibach springs.

Quote:
Old 06-29-2016, 01:13 AM   #13 (permalink)
lex
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 lex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
Koni just announced a shock/spring package using Eibach springs.
Which is why they were selling the old stock Sport kits with "Koni" springs at an very affordable pricing (<$500). I got one kit for my MB1 Civic and I'm extremely happy with it.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Koni has had a running 20% off sale for some time. Usually ends Memorial Day but the favorable exchange rate has allowed it to run longer.

Oh yeah, Lee @ Koni wants some transmission changes

Quote:
Old 06-29-2016, 02:11 AM   #15 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

Still can't find any place to beat raceconsultingagency.com on Koni yellow price. I guess I should order them.

Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2016, 06:41 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

If you are looking to curb body roll and still want a somewhat civilized ride on city streets, you are asking about the wrong components.

Stiffen the sway (anti-roll) bars.
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2016, 10:43 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

a full set of bushings would help a lot as well.

but you dont want to put big swaybars with soft oem springs.

Build what you have!

Old 06-30-2016, 09:45 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowFlyin' View Post
If you are looking to curb body roll and still want a somewhat civilized ride on city streets, you are asking about the wrong components.

Stiffen the sway (anti-roll) bars.
I am using ST Sway bars, 15/16" front bar and 3/4" rear bar. They were originally on my buddy's 1990 Integra, and significantly thicker than the stock bars, I did say I had bars in the first post too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
a full set of bushings would help a lot as well.

but you dont want to put big swaybars with soft oem springs.
I have replaced all bushings on the car. poly RTA bushings, TruHart rear LCAs (hardrace bushings), new oem style rear upper control arms, new oem style front lower control arms, Poly radius rod bushings, and the bushings at the top of my struts are made of delrin. The Pro Kits are stiffer than the oem springs that were there, but I still have more body roll than I like. Sway bars helped, but stiffer springs do as well.....
Old 06-30-2016, 11:31 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by v4lu3s View Post
I am using ST Sway bars, 15/16" front bar and 3/4" rear bar. They were originally on my buddy's 1990 Integra, and significantly thicker than the stock bars, I did say I had bars in the first post too...
Are you actually getting body roll or is it just perceived body roll? At what ride height (measured from the jack points) is the car sitting?
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2016, 02:46 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series G0D

I do not see how you have bodyroll with the parts youy say you have.

Are you 100% positive your tires are not rolling over the sidewall?

that makes the car feel like it has bad bodyroll

Build what you have!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in