Help me diagnose clunk, tons of new parts already dammit - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2016, 08:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Help me diagnose clunk, tons of new parts already dammit

Ok so ever since I've been driving it, there's like major clunkage EVERY TIME I hit the tiniest imperfection in the road.

Cracks, tar, manholes little stuff.

Big bumps? Dips? Going round corners? Nope. Potholes? Nope.

But every minor thing u can barely see.

Changed lower ball joint, and they said don't bother changing bushings on LCA they are OK, not brilliant but fine (had parts off,took em in)

New axles, new manual rack, new shocks and springs, still clunked

Verified compliance bushing torque and condition still clunks

New UCA and lo and behold it had a broken ball joint (which was a new issue) still clunks.

Drove that 130 miles and now

Busted tie rod end.

Now I don't recall it looking bad any of the 5 times it's been apart lately, and the alignment guy didn't say it was bad

Tire is wearing on inside edge oddly and I've yet to correct the caster issue on that side but it was driven w that caster issue for years so I see that as a separate issue.

Now was this tie rod noisy all the time and just not visibly broken yet or is this a symptom of a different problem. Don't remember the upper all joint being garbage when I bolted in the new dampers and springs so it seems like stuff just keeps breaking?

Can't find any places it's obvious metal is hitting metal, no obvious scuffs or clues of any kind. Put 6foot bar under wheel and I can't get it to clunk working it around.

Have some play in the hub but no more than silent other side, no bearing noise, drives way better than before work but still clunks.

Sounds like it's coming from compliance bushing area when your driving, passenger foot well area.

Time to take it to a pro? I don't know.
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2016, 11:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 9 LAMER is almost a somebodyLAMER is almost a somebodyLAMER is almost a somebodyLAMER is almost a somebody

Sounds like a worn out caliper pins/sliders to me. When it starts doing the noise again, slightly press the brake pedal. If the clunking goes away - there is your problem.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 25 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

The problem with ball joints is they can seem fine but may be loose under load or at a particular angle. You'd have to compress the suspension (remove springs, jack tires) to simulate the bump.

Also, is it a de-powered steering rack? If so, the design allows for clunking when you do a PS-delete.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 09:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough

Nah no depowered stupidness, proper swap. Both upper and lower ball joints are new, ordered OEM tie rod end today that's the last ball joint left right?

I'm gonna try that brake thing, I really don't think the tie rod end is gonna fix anything

Last edited by evotec1; 06-24-2016 at 08:06 AM.
evotec1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2016, 04:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

when you did struts and springs, did they come with new upper spring mounts with the 2 studs for mounting to strut tower top?

the doughnut bushings are likely shot

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2016, 01:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Well I'll put it on the list to check, the front has to come out to get put in the lower ride height position when I install the back anyway. I can check and or replace then, in the meantime I'm gonna fix this tie rod end today and deliver this y8 shortblock I sold this morning. I've just been waiting to do the back til I find the clunk....ironic

So do I just need a cheap strut mounting kit like this kyb item at parts geek to replace that if it looks gnarly?

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...ad=47433967692

Last edited by evotec1; 06-26-2016 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMER View Post
Sounds like a worn out caliper pins/sliders to me. When it starts doing the noise again, slightly press the brake pedal. If the clunking goes away - there is your problem.
I'm having a similar issue as the op, thanks for this idea maybe it will solve my issue.
_supaman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2016, 07:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Caliper pins for the win. Dragging the brake even slightly stopped it cold! Rep for you sir

Edit: i can't seem to rep (or I might just be dumb) but someone cool here give dude some dap he effing nailed it from a description alone

Last edited by evotec1; 07-13-2016 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Except I can't rep?? Or I'm retarded.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 20 the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!
the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!

Rep for LAMER and for you sir. glad you got it figured out

92 teg ( new project)
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys with d series motors under the hood.

R.I.P Pat PRIMMER! You will be missed.

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.
the hoove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in