Bad wheel hop ej9 - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2016, 01:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Bad wheel hop ej9

Hi.

the problem is a bad wheel hop at launch
the first launch i try was from 2.5k rpm and it launch very good with no wheel hop but..... when i try again i get very bad wheel hop so i try launched from 3k,3.5k,4k rpm and still get bad wheel hop.

Its a civic ej9 M/T with:
Z6 Intake manifold.
Y8 TB.
Short ram air & K&N filter.
DNA 4-1 exhaust manifold.
Straight pipe with remus exhaust.
MSD 6al-2.

i see stiff motor mount can fix that so I can get innovative 85a D/T/R mounts and 75a lower torque mounts from torque solution.

this motor mounts setup can fix the wheel hop?
the lower torque mounts get fast wear because they 75a and not 85a like the other?

the car is not a daily drive.
ej-9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2016, 01:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Infamous Kanjozoku hatch

Rep Power: 34 dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dougshatch

No Traction bar?.....that would help with your wheel hops.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My kanjozoku project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

dougshatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2016, 01:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

I wouldnt bother buying a traction bar until you verify the new mounts dont solve it.

suspension bushings can also take a chunk out of wheel hop.

traction bars should be the last thing to buy, as a good one is 300+

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 05:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!

What clutch are you using?

Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2016, 05:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Compliance Bushing Slop,
FLCA Movement
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2016, 09:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

I use oem clutch.
all the bushing under the car , axles , Tie Rods , front lower control arms , something like one year on the car.
the suspension bushing and motor mounts i never replace...
the car run very smooth so i don't think something bad with them until i launch the car.

i think something goes bad after the first launch because the first launch was good and the 3-4 after that i get wheel hop in the same place.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

oem clutch and what sounds like oem mounts.

do the mounts.

why you expect a stock clutch and mounts to take abuse, I do not know.

Build what you have!

Old 03-20-2016, 10:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
oem clutch and what sounds like oem mounts.

do the mounts.

why you expect a stock clutch and mounts to take abuse, I do not know.
You're right.

I'm still working on the car...
When I have to replace the clutch i want to put fidanza 3kg flywheel and some good clutch.

about the mounts , the upper 3 mounts ar innovative 85a and the 2 lower mounts ar torque solution 75a so i want to know if the 2 lower 75a mounts get fast wear because they softer?
Old 03-20-2016, 11:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

not at any rate you or I can assume.

different mounting location, different stress level, regardless of stiffness

I think you will be happy with the enw mounts.

you get additional vibration in the car, but who cares? you get the power to the ground faster and in more controll.

for many people, mounts solved the issues.

adjusting tire pressure can also be a thing.

Build what you have!

Old 03-22-2016, 10:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Ok thanks mattliston.

about the tire pressure you mean lower the front?
Old 03-22-2016, 10:52 AM   #11 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

ES mount inserts. use ONLY the rear mount.

3-4 washers in the middle of the RF sway bar link.

Poly compliance bushings...

Slicks, 7500 rpm launches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2016, 02:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

^poly compliance bushings make a HUGE difference to me.

OP, compliance bushes are the big ones on the rear of the lower fornt arm.

ES kit can make it happen. 16-3114 I believe is part number

Build what you have!

Old 03-22-2016, 10:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

I used to get wheel hop really bad in my crx until i welded my rear engine mount solid.

No issues after that.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2016, 10:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 25 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
ES mount inserts. use ONLY the rear mount.

3-4 washers in the middle of the RF sway bar link.

Poly compliance bushings...

Slicks, 7500 rpm launches...
I can vouch for inserts & poly compliance bushings too. My EF had inserts & poly suspension - zero hop. My EG & Integra had inserts & OEM bushings - almost no hop on the street but quite a bit of hop on the track.

First time I've heard of pre-loading using the sway bar tho, interesting.

I think people go overboard with poly motor mounts, then act surprised when their teeth rattle out and the problems come back (the poly ovals out after a few months).

HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2016, 10:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Preloading the sway bar, a thing I might have learned from racing RC cars and corner weighting in general.

13.27 on OEM diff,...

If you wheel hop, push in the clutch and coast...a customer/friend (375 whp on street tires) didn't listen when I suggested upgrades and tire choices....

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
n00b

When the mounts arrived we see if it help and if not......
i try the poly compliance bushings.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:23 AM   #17 (permalink)
n00b

finally all the mounts arrive
i work on it on sunday and update.

Innovative + Torque solution

Last edited by ej-9; 04-15-2016 at 04:35 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:53 AM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

hi.
finally I installed the engine mounts and the results:
1. in the first start i fill the ignition in my spine.
2. on idle i fill a little vibration.
3. the vibrations Increasing from 1k - 3.5k rpm (all the dashboard making noises) but after 3.5k rpm the vibrations are reduced (still have hard vibrations but the dashboard stop making noise).
4. gear shifting very sharp.
5. launch from two different rpm and no wheel hop so far

Just two question.
1. there is such a thing as too hard engine mounts?
i mean too hard mounts could cause engine damage or its only comfort thing?
2. there are some maintenance because this kind of engine mounts?
Old 04-21-2016, 03:16 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series G0D

we have small engines. solid mounting them would be fine.

to reduce vibration, brace the chassis more. it will transfer more at idle, but smooth out faster as rpms climb.

a 3 point front strut bar, bottom H brace, and perhaps a traction bar up front without the control arm links would significantly stiffen the front of the car, and provide much better overall experience

Build what you have!

Old 04-21-2016, 05:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

H bar and upper bar will do nothing for wheel hop/launch issue.

The lower H bar is more of a PITA than anything. Esp. since it will now be the lowest point on the chassis.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in