Ride height went through the ROOF. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2016, 08:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Ride height went through the ROOF.

Was reading original post on shock replacements and didnt wanna hijack the thread so here we are.

I inherited this neglected car w a strong stock JDM d15b and after manual swapping it, manual rack replacing it, AC deleting it and lightly weight reducing the front end it now sits like I'm hauling a** when I'm sitting still.

Rear ride height is about the same. Here's my only pic. (phone is full)

So.... I was gonna use OE sport h & r springs, but they are advertised as an even .75 inch drop all around.

Thoughts?

Some refer to the h&r sport springs as "slammed on nutz" and say the ride "isn't too bad" and even I remember a friend's car that ran them and they weren't TOOOO bad.

But they'd drop the front more than the back, problem solved.

Then I come across this h t thread

Bilstein HD with H&R OE Sport Springs - Honda-Tech

Do bilsteins really let you adjust an extra 3/8th inch out of the ride height? Or is that an adjustment for length if ur running really low and need a shortened damper?

I had a brief desire for reds, but my bilstien monotube experiences have been great in other applications so I'm totally down for some good german nonadjustable dampening. I just need to figure out my best spring bet so I can put on these rims I got a deal on off a totalled ek : )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_20160308_205632.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	754.6 KB
ID:	104009   Click image for larger version

Name:	_20160308_211121.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	104017  

Last edited by evotec1; 03-09-2016 at 07:12 AM.
evotec1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2016, 10:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough

Also considering h & r touring kit, but don't know much about their dampers. The great ride of the bilstien dampers and their reputation for quality are attractive.

Really no thoughts here?.... Lol I guess I only gave it like an hour
Old 03-09-2016, 07:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

H&R OE sports will lower it about and inch or just under, good for older civics . I have some Eibach Sportlines on my 2005 civic. They sit fairly low and ride decent but my shocks are blown. These are more aggressive at 1.5 inch or more of drop. Just remember not to judge your springs right after installing them, they will set down more after a few days. My civic for reference. Don't forget to order rear adjustable UCA's when you get springs so you don't butterfly the rear wheels.

EDIT: I don't know where you are from but most of the users here are based in the US and are usually not online at midnight. Like I said most.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 Toyota Matrix XR (1ZZFE 6spd)
2005 Pontiac Vibe GT (2ZZGE 6spd)
1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Last edited by BeerDrinkin; 03-09-2016 at 07:36 AM.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 07:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

After my experience w hr springs I'm pretty sold on them I'm more tryna figure out if the bilsteins really have an adjustable perch. I don't really know what I'm looking at in the pics of the bilstien shocks near the bottom of the HT post.

If indeed they allow a bit of extra drop like koni yellows they are the perfect solution for the pothole ridden and cobblestone streets of my neighborhood in Tacoma.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Also quite concerned it will continue to sit in a tail dragging manner if I do a straight .75 or 1.5 inch drop. Anyone ever have a similar issue after power steering / AC delete?

It currently looks like I'm pulling a trailer thats got too much tongue weight for my truck.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

I have never seen an adjustable perch on a strut before that wasn't a coilover... If you want something like that then get a set of Ground Control coil overs and run the shocks/struts you like.

EDIT: Almost all civics lowered or not sit up higher in the front.

1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

Old 03-09-2016, 09:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

I think that it has a second groove machined into the body for the front perches to be installed at different heights. I have read that even without these, you can have a new groove machined onto the body after the fact, but I don't want to do that if I can avoid it.

I wasn't talking like a threaded adjustment like on a coil over.

Lacking info on the h&r touring cup kit, I might just go w the bilsteins and the lower h&r sport springs which should level it out. I don't really want that much drop though.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Anyone have experience w running the touring cup kit or any experience with h&r shocks?
Old 03-09-2016, 10:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

I highly doubt an OTS drop-spring from a reputable company like H&R is going to provide too harsh a ride. In the case that it does, it is more likely to be under dampened or the OE shock is too tall and the shock is actually bottoming out.

If you are trying to even the car out, why are you trying to do it by using static springs?

Get a set of adjustable coilover sleeves and adjust the height until you are satisfied.
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD

Last edited by LowFlyin'; 03-09-2016 at 10:47 AM.
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2016, 11:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowFlyin' View Post
If you are trying to even the car out, why are you trying to do it by using static springs?

Get a set of adjustable coilover sleeves and adjust the height until you are satisfied.
Exactly!

Ground Control coil overs are very good for a cheap alternative. Choose a spring rate and set of shocks and go from there.

1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

Old 03-09-2016, 12:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

So is that also partial votes for the hr cup touring kit then since it's matched and height adjustable? Idk enough about springs and rates and FWD handling to be deciding rates on my own.

In terms of leveling it out, it's OK if it's close, I just don't wanna spend 600$ for something that leaves it the same stance, an inch lower. Height adjustable and convenience might win out here

Comfort is a priority, hence my original plan for h r OE sports.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

You can get some 350-380 rate springs and they would be decent, a little stiffer than stock but not by much. If you get some linear springs like how the Eibachs are then it won't get a lot stiffer until it compresses the spring more. I am not sure about H&R but I would assume they are linear as well.

1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

Old 03-09-2016, 01:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

I'm waiting for a response from bilstein USA about their take on lowering springs like the h r sports and their b6 HD shock. According to my research the stock length shocks are good to 40mm drop which is right near the 1.5" and 1.8" drop of the sports.

I'm not tryna go coil over though, I want the engineering done by professionals. Preferably German ones. If i am stuck w dual tube shock design I will go w the matched height adjustable kit.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series lover

The h r sports are progressive and within 30% of stock, but actual rates are hard to find.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

AMORTYZATORY BILSTEIN HONDA CIVIC 92-95 - Sprzedajemy.pl

Height adjustable bilsteins....sports?
Old 03-09-2016, 02:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Springs are springs... the ride quality is going to come from the damper, mostly.

With the weight of an EG coupe, I would suggest something around 350-400 front and rear if you are wanting a little performance or 350-400f/250-300r if you are wanting it to be lower, but still a decent ride.

The harshness in ride comes from an oversprung or underdampened rear axle most of the time.
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2016, 03:03 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series lover

See I've run progressives before and combined with a modest dampening increase they really ride as well or better than stock, one reason I have so much faith in h & r as a product.

Same goes for the monotube bilsteins. In a newer focus it made the car feel like it was way nicer than it was. If they can take the ride height of the sport springs I can't imagine I would be disappointed.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

Pretty sure I ran across rates for the sport springs and they were in that decent ride range specified above.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:22 PM   #19 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Koni and Eibach are German companies, just like Thyruss-Krupp Bilstien, but also have US production locations.

Bilstein = Fairfield, OH. 5.5 miles away
KoniNA = Hebron, KY, across the river and through the woods
Eibach = Cincinnati customer relocated to Cali, not sure his job title.

Now most likely when you installed the new springs, you did the finally torquing without the cars weight on the suspension, thus binding the bushings and not letting it settle properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2016, 06:54 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series lover

Oh I haven't installed springs. Just did the swap/delete work and BOOM. Instant nosebleeds. Totally made note to do that though, but figured I'd rip rubber if I torqued it down in the air. Didn't even think it'd change the ride height, but I bet it would huh.

I'm just tryna figure out where to go to get it sitting right. Bout to forget the bilsteins if they don't get back at me tomorrow and just buy the touring cup kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in