Play in the Wheel - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2016, 05:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Default Play in the Wheel

So I got a lil bit of play in my steering wheel.

I replace the wheel bearing a few weeks ago, done correctly and no play there.

Check upper and lower ball joints. Cant find any play there.

Tie rods inner and outer where replaced about a year ago. There still tight gave them a good shake and they dont move.

The problem is only on the driver side.
If i sit with the car off and shake the steering wheel i can feel a little play and hear a small clicking sound.

I jack it up and shook the rim. I get a very small in and out play somewhere at the rack.

But the tie rods arent moving. everything is tight.
When i lower the car and have someone shake the steering wheel, i can see the rack and pinon area move a bit up and down. Kinda like a twisting motion.

Now i done a lil research and people are saying rack end bushing.
Well i check the hondapartsonline and i can not find this part.

98 civic ex+P.S.+GEAR+BOX

My next thought was the rack needed adjustment. I tighten it up some with the 40mm and 14mm bolt on the back. That didnt fit this problem.

Then i thought maybe the rack is just messed up and is bad. but wouldnt that effect both driver and pass side?

Well if anyone has any idea what to check or what might be going on, let me know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. RIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2016, 07:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

check rack bushings? and there could be play inside the rack
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2016, 07:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
check rack bushings? and there could be play inside the rack
Which bushing are those?

I check the diagram for the end bushing but couldnt fine them.
And yea im thinking it might be in the rack but when i look at diagrams it shows 1 bar. So i figure of one side has play the other should too right?

. RIP

Old 02-02-2016, 07:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

the bushings that hold the rack to the chassis. I have a power steering rack that the pump decided to shit the bed on, there is a good amount of play in the wheel before it "grabs" inside the rack....if that makes sense. also, this may or may not be useful

https://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-f...teezz-way.html
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
the bushings that hold the rack to the chassis. I have a power steering rack that the pump decided to shit the bed on, there is a good amount of play in the wheel before it "grabs" inside the rack....if that makes sense. also, this may or may not be useful

Thanx i check the video.
and it seems like the play that mines has.
The video seems to say its the Left ,Right selector pin.
So it might need a rebuild or replacement one. Ill check mines out today when i get some time.

. RIP

Old 02-02-2016, 09:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

glad I could help
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 8 honduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

My 4 door has play it the rack. It first started leaking and then month or two later I heard a clunk while shifting in 2nd sometimes, figured it was a tie rod or ball joint but no such luck. I plan to replace the entire rack this summer. My girlfriends civic needs a rack too so maybe I'll make a how to thread when I do one of them.
honduh666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2016, 04:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Thread revisted

I got another rack. Was easier to put in then i thought.

Ended up having to get another ps line tho as my nut round off while trying to remove and had to cut if to get it out.
Then the new rack had 2 cross threads. So the new line didnt go back on.
Had to remove it again and swap that cap with my old rack.

Got everything back together and got the front end alined.
And so far it seems good. No play that i can feel.

Im not sure what was wrong with the other rack.
The shaft seemed ok.
The part that connects to the wheel might of had a bad bearing.

I just know the old one had play at the gear.

. RIP

Old 05-16-2016, 05:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Quote:

This should only affect the eg style racks BTW.

If you have an EK rack, you're using the integra style ones which is a whole different setup.

Your steering rack pilot bearing could have been shot. It holds the nose of the steering gear and is very small. (Think of the input shaft pilot bearing). That's if the rack part is moving up and down even after tightening.

If the gear itself wiggles, it could be the 2 bearings for the steering gear.

If the rack seals leaked, it could have washed out all the grease. That or it could have been contaminated due to broken boots...

|

#

!
Quote:
Start there, if you still cant figure it out, you are not going to.
How
to act on this forum...
Mr.Fodo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2016, 06:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 Abide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Abide

the rack end bushing would have been play on the other end, just did mine last week. It was either that bearing or the little bushings held up against the rack with the spring.
Abide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2016, 06:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abide View Post
the rack end bushing would have been play on the other end, just did mine last week. It was either that bearing or the little bushings held up against the rack with the spring.
X2 ,
That's the purpose of the spring / adjustment to fine tune the gear engagement while still having ease of motion.
Too tight , won't steer or will be difficult
too loose you'll have play and maybe a tiny dead-space in you wheel where it does nothing. ( till the teeth engage )

I drove a work van that was basically like steering a single tire with a pool cue
haha .. the van was basically driving itself , the driver "bumped" to correct.
and if you overcorrected , you had to rush to turn the wheel 20% before it started steering in the other direction .. lol .. surely was illegal as a work van.
JeffWilliamsUSA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in