Front Wheel bearing.. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2016, 09:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Default Front Wheel bearing..

So my front driver side wheel bearing has gotten some play in it. I plan on replacing it. I was going to just pay someone to do it since its been cold out but everyone wants $380 to $500 for one side.

SO look up a diy and seems pretty straight forward.
The problem is i dont have a press. I found a few different threads and all where different.

Some say get a 20 ton press or the job wont be done.
Some say 12 ton is good enough.
Some say a BFH and it will be beaten out and back in.
Other say a harbor freight wheel bearing kit will work.

So i am probably going to end up buying some tools and doing it myself since its cheaper and i dont truly truth anyone with my car anyways.

SO will this kit work for a 98 honda civic ex?

19pc Master Set Front Wheel Hub Drive Bearing Removal Install Service Tool Kit | eBay

And one have any good tips on this.

I saw a youtube video (wasnt a honda tho) but the guy left the spindle on the car and used a wheel bearing tool and got everything done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. RIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2016, 09:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

robgoof Still a JDM Star....robgoof Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

I've only done it on a press ...60ton

but I have done it with a 12 ton but almost didn't ...

BFH yeah right but maybe...
robgoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2016, 10:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

If you have another vehicle, you could just remove the knuckle, buy your own bearing and bring it to a shop, I would call around and see how much they would charge just to press the bearing.

Sorry for not being of much help with the tool reviews, I've always done em at the shop with a press, 20 ton iirc
theotherchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 11:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 grayzee is almost a somebodygrayzee is almost a somebodygrayzee is almost a somebodygrayzee is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I have a Princess Auto press (Canadian version or Harbor Freight) It will work, no freaking problem. I like to use a heavy slide hammer to get the hub off before removing the spindle.

automatic Crx [email protected]
grayzee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2016, 12:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 14 HondaSteve smells like BoratHondaSteve smells like BoratHondaSteve smells like BoratHondaSteve smells like BoratHondaSteve smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

I just had my bearing replaced this week. I brought the knuckle and a new bearing to a shop and they only charged $30 for the labor.

00 ex coupe; 346whp/271wtq @21psi
HondaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2016, 12:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 21 robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!
robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

^^this. might as well check the lbj while the knuckle is out
robscrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2016, 01:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Yea i thought about bring the whole thing to someone.
But dont got another car so gotta find someone that isnt working or doing other stuff to take me.

Ill check into the price of a 20 ton press lol.
I rather put that $40 towards a new tool.
But i also bet it will cost more then $40 around here

. RIP

Old 01-12-2016, 03:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Well damn it.
Pick up a 20 ton press from harbor freight.

Found that coupon which makes the press $170 after tax
I call one place and they told me $80 to press the bearing. I figure id check harbor freight for some deals and justput that towards my own press.

I doing the left side friday, then down the road ill do the right.

Does anyone know what size tubes/sockets are needed for pressing this out?

I remember reading someone 1 3/4 for the hub.

. RIP

Old 01-12-2016, 04:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

you can rent the tools from autozone

http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-an...?checkfit=true
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2016, 04:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
you can rent the tools from autozone

http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-an...?checkfit=true
Yea i check there rent a tool and they dont rent out a wheel bearing tool.
Only gear/bearing puller for transmissions or pumps.

. RIP

Old 01-12-2016, 04:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Drive your car to a shop, take the knuckle off in the parking lot, pay them to press the new bearing in, and pop the knuckle back into place.

Bring a mallet, 10/12/14mm sockets and a wrench, a prybar, a bungee cord to hang the caliper.

Prybar (or large flathead screwdriver) to pop flat C clip from brake line bracket.

If they have beef with you working in the larking lot, or not enough room, find a nearby parking lot.

Did this once or twice before.

Double check tools needed, going from memory.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2016, 05:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 8 honduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

^that wouldn't fly at my work. If someone started pulling their car apart in our lot we'd tell him to get lost.
honduh666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2016, 06:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

what, because they want to save some money?

We would allow it at our shop, it saves a bay from being taken up.

We are always ordering parts, so if we had a 10 minute gap in waiting on parts, we can still be productive.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2016, 06:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 grayzee is almost a somebodygrayzee is almost a somebodygrayzee is almost a somebodygrayzee is almost a somebody

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
what, because they want to save some money?
Maybe they don't wanna get sued by a dumbass that fails to use a jackstand and has a car fall on them... on their property?
Old 01-12-2016, 06:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Out of curiosity, what is the common labor rate in texas?
theotherchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2016, 07:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 5 jetrinka is starting to learn the ropesjetrinka is starting to learn the ropesjetrinka is starting to learn the ropesjetrinka is starting to learn the ropesjetrinka is starting to learn the ropesjetrinka is starting to learn the ropesjetrinka is starting to learn the ropes

I've got the Harbor Freight 20 ton press and while I have jigged it up to do Civic wheel bearings, it wasn't easy. The arbor isn't wide enough to accept the hub through it when pressing it out of the center of the bearing. I had to find some flat steel stock to space things up for it to work. After that it was smooth sailing. Seemed to have plenty of oomph to press things in and out. However I am blessed to live in a state that isn't plagued by rust so take that into consideration.
jetrinka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2016, 12:50 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by neubie View Post
Out of curiosity, what is the common labor rate in texas?
Make them up prices.

I really dont know but thats how shops do it. Its why i do my own wirk.

I went to get a new tire last month. 5 shops 5 different prices that where made up on the spot. I understand different tires different prices, but i called one the day gefore and got a lot lower price then when i went. And the others wherr just way to high.
And thats how it is around herr.
My sister in law when to get and oil change and they told her, her belt was messed up and she needs to change it asap. And it would be $50 for the belt (part really cost like $20) and then $100 labor.
Its a damn trailblazer essy as hell to do, takes like 5mins
Long story short. Her belt was fine and didnt need to be replaced.
And this was a name brand place.

Also call the same shop twice and i know your get too different prices.

The only thing that has flat rates around here is brakes, oil changes, and tire packes. Other then thats its what they feel like.

And to the person that said work on it in the parking lot, lol. Then once i bring it to them therr say that'll be $150 to press. Cause they know you can go home till its done.

. RIP

Old 01-13-2016, 03:56 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetrinka View Post
I've got the Harbor Freight 20 ton press and while I have jigged it up to do Civic wheel bearings, it wasn't easy. The arbor isn't wide enough to accept the hub through it when pressing it out of the center of the bearing.
Before you remove the spindle from the car, take a slide hammer and pound the hub off. Make sure you've removed the axle nut first! LOL

Or you can pound it out in a vise like this guy does...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEDrioMDe1k

automatic Crx [email protected]
Old 01-13-2016, 04:23 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

just grab a knuckle from a junkyard and put it on the car for the time being. then install a new bearing in the other one and swap it out or just keep it on hand. whole thing couldnt be more than 20-30$
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2016, 06:22 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 jabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatness

I use a bigass bolt, nut, some washers. Like $10 total at tractor supply in materials to make the tool. The tough part is getting all the old bearing parts off the knuckle and especially the hub. Once you do that it takes about 10 minutes to put it all back together.

It looks to me like in the EricTheCarGuy video posted above he trashes the bearing when he pounds the hub in. Looks like the inside part isn't supported and it bounces up on the rebound of the hammer blows. Maybe i'm wrong it just looks that way in the video

Last edited by jabberwock; 01-13-2016 at 06:26 AM.
jabberwock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in