Del Sol Spring Rate Suggestions - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2015, 01:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Rep Power: 7 Animag771 will become famous soon enoughAnimag771 will become famous soon enoughAnimag771 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Del Sol Spring Rate Suggestions

So I have a 94 Del Sol Si and I have decided to order Koni Sports (yellows) and Ground Control Coilover kit, with eBay extended top hats. The car is a daily driver that will see occasional track use. I am only going to be lowering the car 1.5", so I'm not worried about camber kits. I'm looking for a sporty ride with at least some degree of comfort, but can't have it rattle my teeth out because it will be driven frequently and in all weather conditions on varying road surfaces so safety first.

I'm looking at custom spring rates because I feel the off the shelf GC rates will be too soft if I ever plan to be very competitive. I was thinking 450F/350R which I know will end up giving some understeer, but in the future I can (hopefully) tune towards oversteer with a bigger sway bar and stiffen up the shocks in the rear. If all else fails I could swap the front and rear for track days.

Does anybody have experience or opinions with these rates as far as comfort level? I would hate to spend all of that money and hate it.
Animag771 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2015, 02:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 Chinewalker will become famous soon enoughChinewalker will become famous soon enoughChinewalker will become famous soon enough

500lb/9k ground controls, koni yellows front and back ,full damping rear 4/5 front. on acura el, stock way bars front and back. Firm ride but it not enough to bother me. It over steers, can swing it right out in the rain. Good fun.

Last edited by Chinewalker; 12-09-2015 at 02:34 PM.
Chinewalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2015, 04:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 7 Animag771 will become famous soon enoughAnimag771 will become famous soon enoughAnimag771 will become famous soon enough

So you're running 500lb in the front and rear?

Old 12-09-2015, 05:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 Chinewalker will become famous soon enoughChinewalker will become famous soon enoughChinewalker will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animag771 View Post
So you're running 500lb in the front and rear?

Correct 500lb front and back
Old 12-09-2015, 06:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

460/370 on Yellows on my CRX HF, they are not fun on the street. Highway is fine if the expansion gaps aren't too big.

They will be coming off soon.

Koni's are on sale right now, 25% off IIRC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2015, 07:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
460/370 on Yellows on my CRX HF, they are not fun on the street. Highway is fine if the expansion gaps aren't too big.

They will be coming off soon.

Koni's are on sale right now, 25% off IIRC.
Your CRX-HF is about 400lbs lighter than a Del Sol Si, so that could make a big difference. How is it "not fun"? Is it bouncy, too stiff, scary handling, traction issues?
Old 12-09-2015, 07:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 jpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinewalker View Post
500lb/9k ground controls, koni yellows front and back ,full damping rear 4/5 front
lol, do you ever suffer from bruised kidneys?

A setup like that is awesome for 60 second autocross runs, but IMO is torture when used for daily transportation. Regular "off the shelf" rates are not soft, Animag. They're considerably more stiff than stock springs and are exactly what you say you want: "sporty ride with at least some degree of comfort".
jpciii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2015, 09:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Your CRX-HF is about 400lbs lighter than a Del Sol Si, so that could make a big difference. How is it "not fun"? Is it bouncy, too stiff, scary handling, traction issues?
try about 550-600 lbs lighter. Bouncy to the fact it is stiff enough that I'm a shock absorber, it gets tiring on local roads. Flat smooth highway is not an issue. With the ST sway bars, it is possible to not be able to get into driveways even with a Quaife. One front wheel and one rear wheel barely touching.

Handling in the dry is amazing, so was a RHD del Sol Transtop I drove with even stiffer suspension. But you're not driving a race car every day.

Having the rebound too soft on the rear Koni's will induce motion sickness from the pogo effect. I think I'm at 3/4 from soft out of two full turns. They are NOT threaded adjustment sleeves either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

I had a combo set of Tein S front springs and Ebaich Pro rear springs in my old 93 del sol

I forget the numbers, but it was responsive, a tiny bit tiring on crappy roads, but still very fun overall.

If I had to ahzard a guess, that would be 350 fronts and 200 rears.

stock is somewhere around 130 front and 100 rear I believe, so 250 front and 200 rear would provide near neutral handling without testing the work of your dentist.

new rubber bushings everywhere would behave FAR better with stock suspension and an integra GSR rear swaybar installed.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2015, 10:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Having the rebound too soft on the rear Koni's will induce motion sickness from the pogo effect.
Anything less the max dampening with the 500lb springs is horribly bouncy. I dont think normally valved koni yellows can handle any more.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinewalker View Post
Anything less the max dampening with the 500lb springs is horribly bouncy. I dont think normally valved koni yellows can handle any more.
You clearly don't understand dampening settings and capabilities. Lee tried to explain it to me once, I'll let him deal with the shocks, I'll play with the trannys.

Quote:
Old 12-10-2015, 04:44 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
If I had to ahzard a guess, that would be 350 fronts and 200 rears.

stock is somewhere around 130 front and 100 rear I believe, so 250 front and 200 rear would provide near neutral handling without testing the work of your dentist.

new rubber bushings everywhere would behave FAR better with stock suspension and an integra GSR rear swaybar installed.
I thought the stock rates were 165F/80R? As far as the bushings and sway bar go... Pic/Suja1 bushings are the next thing on my list as soon as I can afford to get them and I don't want to add any sway bars until I change out struts, springs and bushings.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:46 AM   #13 (permalink)

Ground Control just got back to me and suggested 400F/350R for my goals. Any opinions on that?
Old 12-10-2015, 08:38 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
I only have 280s on the back of my CRX, but between the short wheelbase and lightweight I have nearly lost control more than once from bouncing in potholes on the freeway around Houston.

Of course the fact that some of those potholes are half the size of my car doesn't help.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
You clearly don't understand dampening settings and capabilities. Lee tried to explain it to me once, I'll let him deal with the shocks, I'll play with the trannys.
Do i need to understand to make an observation?
Old 12-10-2015, 07:37 PM   #16 (permalink)

Looking at buying asap, so I can get them before Christmas. The off the shelf rates for my car are 340F/250R, so would it really be a huge difference to be adding 60F/100R? From what I have read, most people who have gotten the off the shelf rates have regretted not going stiffer.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

so go stiffer. worse to worse you can always sell them and buy off the shelf
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2015, 09:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

340F 250R is actually a really good combo.

people that complain about it not being stiff enough dont have other things properly set up or upgraded, like swaybars and bushings.

those numbers are STIFFER than the Integra Type R and Civic Type R, which in stock form both are extremely capable of handling VERY well.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2015, 07:20 AM   #19 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 19 d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!
d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
340F 250R is actually a really good combo.

https://www.d-series.org/forums/suspe...l-slow-si.html

I'm about an extra 100lbs in front and rear and think the setup has treated me GREAT on both track and street.
d-serious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2015, 08:59 AM   #20 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Quote:
Looking at buying asap, so I can get them before Christmas. The off the shelf rates for my car are 340F/250R, so would it really be a huge difference to be adding 60F/100R? From what I have read, most people who have gotten the off the shelf rates have regretted not going stiffer.
Are the springs the same length? 8" likely. If so upgrading later would be easy if you decide 340/250 isn't stiff enough. Buy a pair of 400's and then move the front 340's to the rear.

Or put 400's on the rear with a small stock sway bar and not have to worry about "rip out" with big bar.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in