OEM shocks - replacement options? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2015, 10:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 8 Safety_Driver  is slowly gaining respectSafety_Driver  is slowly gaining respectSafety_Driver  is slowly gaining respectSafety_Driver  is slowly gaining respectSafety_Driver  is slowly gaining respect
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default OEM shocks - replacement options?

Hello guys,

Long time don't see.
One of my rear shocks is really bad and I'm planning on replacing both of them. What is a good option to consider. Don't want to buy OEM from the dealer, but don't want to buy any crap on the net.

A friend of mine tald me to get either FSR or Monroe strut assebly, hence the shock with the spring on it. I guess he said that, because he will be the person that will help me to install them and everyone knows that taking off and on the old spring is pain in the neck.
I couldn't find FSR shocks on ebay or amazon yet.

Thanks you!
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2015, 11:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

RockAuto Parts Catalog

KYB/AGX

No sense replacing the spring unless your's is collapsed. If you don't have a spring compressor, take the nut off the top while the weight of the car is on the spring then jack it up, swap in, and then use the weight of the car to compress the spring again.
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2015, 11:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 Sac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow up

I have Tokico Illumina(white) adjustables all the way around. That being the only suspension upgrade, I love them, the case handles great.

As for the springs, Autozone Rents a spring compressor that makes it really simple.

Monroe is a good brand.
NAPA has quality OEM replacements for decent prices.
Sac*HXy5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 12:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 8 Safety_Driver  is slowly gaining respectSafety_Driver  is slowly gaining respectSafety_Driver  is slowly gaining respectSafety_Driver  is slowly gaining respectSafety_Driver  is slowly gaining respect

Well, I had on my previous Civic Tokico Blue shock + springs (very satisfied with that set), but for this car I want the cheapest shocks since I'm neither planning to keep it for a long time nor to lower it. I'll check at NAPA and Adv.Auto then.
Thanks guys!
Old 02-21-2016, 10:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Hello guys!
Replaced my shocks with OE Monroe and am pretty happy with them. Got them from rockauto.com. Just regret I didn't buy the full strut assembly which comes with a new spring already on the shock. Rented spring compressors from Adv. Auto but still had a little trouble. The lower control arm bolts came out very difficultly, but it didn't break. However replaced them with new OEM botls. On my previous Civic the bolts broke when I was replacing the rear shocks, though.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 25 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

How do they compare to the Tokico Blue shocks? I know springs will make it harder to judge, but for $15-20 per shock I'm curious.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2016, 11:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

called Quick Struts, fully assembled to just bolt in saving labor time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2016, 07:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 Abide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Abide

i was happy with monroe sensa-tracks but if i was doing OE type nonadjustable replacement these days i would go bilstein HD. one of the few monotubes
Abide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2016, 12:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiProfile View Post
How do they compare to the Tokico Blue shocks? I know springs will make it harder to judge, but for $15-20 per shock I'm curious.
Well they are OEM replacement, so cannot compare with Tokico Blue which are with shorter springs and also stiffer. You get close to stock ride, even better.
I paid for the Monroe $67 each + $50 shipping from England, because placed the order incorrectly, but the shocks feel very well. They are gas shocks and think are made for the EU Civics.

The ones that I didn't get (the Quick Struts) also Monroe are like $60 with the spring already on them and I guess less expensive shipping, because they ship from US.

Last edited by Safety_Driver; 02-22-2016 at 12:16 PM.
Safety_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2016, 01:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

I've used Monroe's plenty of times.. Inexpensive but get the job done. Autozone usually has them on hand also.. So no waiting for them to be shipped good luck on whichever you choose
Old 02-27-2016, 05:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

I absolutely hated the Monroe Sensi-craps (as I called them) on my CRX, with stock springs. I never could recommend them after that experience.

I usually use the KYB Excel-G/GR2 with springs that are not more of a drop than the H&R Sports.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2016, 11:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

Rep Power: 5 BiGrEd1011 is learning the way of the DBiGrEd1011 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Acid_Beaver View Post
I absolutely hated the Monroe Sensi-craps (as I called them) on my CRX, with stock springs. I never could recommend them after that experience.

I usually use the KYB Excel-G/GR2 with springs that are not more of a drop than the H&R Sports.
I was just about to recommend these myself. Granted I have stock shocks for now.....But these I will be getting when I have the spare $200

BiGrEd1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2016, 09:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 25 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety_Driver View Post
Well they are OEM replacement, so cannot compare with Tokico Blue which are with shorter springs and also stiffer. You get close to stock ride, even better.
I paid for the Monroe $67 each + $50 shipping from England
I was asking because 90% of stock cars have worn original OEM or non-OEM replacements, so I was thinking they'd be a good option for people not wanting to go broke on a minor suspension refresh. If they were decent enough on a stock spring, they'd be okay on a minor drop spring.

However if you paid ~$320 ($67x4+$50), they're similar in price to both Tokico Blue's & Koni STR.T (oranges). I know the oranges make new OEM shocks feel like mush in comparison, but soft enough where my last GF still liked the ride. They also offer Koni's lifetime warranty.

Old 02-28-2016, 03:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

Rep Power: 5 BiGrEd1011 is learning the way of the DBiGrEd1011 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiProfile View Post
I was asking because 90% of stock cars have worn original OEM or non-OEM replacements, so I was thinking they'd be a good option for people not wanting to go broke on a minor suspension refresh. If they were decent enough on a stock spring, they'd be okay on a minor drop spring.

However if you paid ~$320 ($67x4+$50), they're similar in price to both Tokico Blue's & Koni STR.T (oranges). I know the oranges make new OEM shocks feel like mush in comparison, but soft enough where my last GF still liked the ride. They also offer Koni's lifetime warranty.
whats the difference between the blues and the KYB Excel-G/GR2? I have been looking at the KYB for when my shocks go...

BiGrEd1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2016, 02:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough

Kyb gr2 are stock replacement equivalent, good ride and quality, not a performance oriented product though.
evotec1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2016, 02:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough

On this subject, I come across FEW who run reds, which at soft ate supposed to be "comfort oriented"

Any comments on these? All I've read is that oranges are stiffer than reds on soft, but others disagree and say reds are just a bit softer than yellows.

I'll be running h&r OE sport springs so minimal increase in dampening is necessary for a car we want to be a comfy dd
Old 03-06-2016, 05:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

reds are obsolete anyway, the STR.Ts replaced them entirely

STR.T=yellow set on full soft
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2016, 03:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Edit: I don't mean to take away from the OP's thread, but I feel the main reason it was made was to provide better replacement options.

Looking at Koni's website & other sources, they're somewhere between full soft & 1 click.

RX8's Koni vs STR.T:
http://www.fatcatmotorsports.com/iga...port_front.JPG

06 Civic STR.T v BuddyClub v KW:
http://www.bestsuspension.com/images...1KoniSTRT.Jpeg

In any case they're much better than OEM replacements. My teg was glued to corners that were asphalt beat to shit from dozens of semi's daily for at least a decade. I'd only recommend Yellows if you 1) shit dollar bills or 2) race competitively.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Koni's (yellows) don't click and only have two turns of adjustment, but always back of 1/8 turn from the end of adjustment range, so 1 3/4 turns of adjustment.

STR.T are valved (using a different manner) to be as close as possible as Streets on full soft, the compression dampening is fixed on the streets as well.

Straight from Lee Grimes at KONI, a trans. customer of mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2016, 08:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series lover

I have some questions on the side here, check it out.

https://www.d-series.org/forums/suspe...ml#post4868593
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
civic, fsr, monroe, oem, suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in