Looking for first hand experience with big brake setups - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org » Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction » Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2015, 06:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Looking for first hand experience with big brake setups

Wanted to get some input from the guys out there with aftermarket big brake setups on EK's. My car is non ABS and I will be keeping it that way but I want way more brakes than it currently has and more even than just a rear disc conversion can provide me. I will be driving the car very hard and I want it to stop as well as it goes. Anyone out there with aftermarket big brake setups chime in with what you're running and how it performs/longevity/issues, etc. For example, stoptech big brake kit up front, integra disc coversion out back, 4 wheel big brake kit, etc. I would like to hear about what masters are being used with the setups, brake lines, prop valves, everything. I will be redoing the brake system entirely from the master all the way to the wheel including the hard lines as they are ready to be replaced so I would like as much input as I can get.
cghorr01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2015, 07:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 stranger  is accepted as part of the communitystranger  is accepted as part of the communitystranger  is accepted as part of the communitystranger  is accepted as part of the community

I went with a wilwood kit from fastbrakes.com & full line setup from finishing lines. Check my build thread for pics of my setup.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
stranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2015, 08:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Thank you, I'll definitely check your build. How do you like the setup? Any issues with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger View Post
I went with a wilwood kit from fastbrakes.com & full line setup from finishing lines. Check my build thread for pics of my setup.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Old 10-28-2015, 10:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

I am using Integra calipers, VW Corrado 11" rotors on a Fastbrakes adaptor. MC is swapped for 15/16 and prop valve is 4040. Love it! Had it on since 2009.

Caliper doesn't hit rim. Just some scratches from changing pads.
rallypoint_1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2015, 11:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Do you race your car? Any issues with heat or fading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypoint_1 View Post
I am using Integra calipers, VW Corrado 11" rotors on a Fastbrakes adaptor. MC is swapped for 15/16 and prop valve is 4040. Love it! Had it on since 2009.

Old 10-31-2015, 09:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

I've gone back and forth from stock 9" to the Type R calipers on 10" rotors.

The resistance to fade is HUGE. I also found the bite on the Type R caliper based brakes was much sharper and more predictable/inspiring.

With that being said I've never done racing with turning, but have done a lot of straight light deceleration with the car doing tuning and it doesnt take long to face the OEM setup. With the upgraded brakes it would take effort to soak them.

Also done my fair share of mountain driving, and the Type R brakes with 10" rotor was MUCH more capable than the OEM 9" garbage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2015, 08:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks for the input but I am looking more along the lines of Wilwood, Brembo, etc. The car will be fast enough and I will drive it hard enough that when I reach for the brakes I don't want to even have the possibility of not having enough. This is something I see a lot of street guys overlook or not give enough weight to. I have always been of the position that my car's suspension and brakes should be 'faster' than my engine. There is nothing more terrifying than a car with a TON of motor that you can't make turn or stop safely lol. I tend to drive the absolute shit out of my 'built' cars so naturally I am hard on things like the brakes. Anyone here ever done a 140+ mph pull in a Civic and then realized you didn't have anywhere near enough brakes to slow you down in a reasonable amount of space? It's not a good feeling! Feeling that pedal go away is not something I want to do ever again.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 Henry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunna

We did the DA swap in our stage car. Gravel rally really hammers brakes, particularly the front due to left foot braking. The stock brakes went away quickly and we were eating pads like skittles (EBC or Hawk race pads). The 10 inch DA stuff really made a huge difference. We get to the end of the stage and can still stop at time control.

The next step is to go to these
Wilwood® - Acura Integra 1991 Forged DynaPro Front Caliper Kit

Might be something for you to think about. 4-pot calipers at a reasonable price.

Last edited by Henry44; 11-01-2015 at 09:36 AM.
Henry44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2015, 11:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

ITR/Wagon brakes will be plenty enough, even with Raybestos pads from NAPA...but they are a bit touchy until they get heat into them and the initial bite is lessened.

Stupid show, but the EG of Todd Reid had the above brakes when I rode in it at Mid Ohio, also go to test drive it on the street. It was before the twin cam swap, aero, and such.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2015, 07:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by cghorr01 View Post
Thanks for the input but I am looking more along the lines of Wilwood, Brembo, etc. The car will be fast enough and I will drive it hard enough that when I reach for the brakes I don't want to even have the possibility of not having enough. This is something I see a lot of street guys overlook or not give enough weight to. I have always been of the position that my car's suspension and brakes should be 'faster' than my engine. There is nothing more terrifying than a car with a TON of motor that you can't make turn or stop safely lol. I tend to drive the absolute shit out of my 'built' cars so naturally I am hard on things like the brakes. Anyone here ever done a 140+ mph pull in a Civic and then realized you didn't have anywhere near enough brakes to slow you down in a reasonable amount of space? It's not a good feeling! Feeling that pedal go away is not something I want to do ever again.
Going insanely large on rotors with big calipers is just for show 99.99% of the time, and wont help you a bit on single use emergency stops.

Unless you have shit pads, for a single stop factory brakes are fine on most hondas until your tires pass your brake friction limit, which takes very sticky tires. In fact, upgrading to larger brakes is likely to increase your stopping distance for a single stop due to more rotating weight and less precise control of the brakes, upgading to manual brakes will mitigate this some.

With good pads and stock brakes you can do quite a bit of street braking on relatively level ground before your pads overheat and begin to fade, but if you hit that point getting larger rotors helps a lot. Going from a 9" rotor to a 10" rotor with everything else the same decreases braking effort by about 10% to achieve the same breaking result. That means you produce about 10% less heat for the same braking, in addition larger rotors usually have more mass and surface area, so they can store and shed more heat.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 25 all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!
all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 19 reviews

I have the wilwood dpha on my civic and really like them. I have centric rotors with stop tech pads on the rear. 92 civic si didn't come with the larger brakes so I had to change the knuckle out.

RIP SFC Dwayne Torres "Brother in arms"
RIP CALI NOOB
all_rice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2015, 07:01 AM   #12 (permalink)

Rep Power: 9 LAMER is almost a somebodyLAMER is almost a somebodyLAMER is almost a somebodyLAMER is almost a somebody

The best brakes IMHO are the smallest possible rotors/calipers that you can not overheat. Especially if you are pushing for a record, you really don't want the extra unsprung rotating mass.

Brake pads - people often assume that all non race/cheap brake pads are the same - not true. Some of the cheapest brake pads are waaay better than some of the expensive(non racing) pads on the market. There are cheap pads, capable of taking so much heat, without fading that you will be surprised. Also there are pads, that would fade easily, just by slowing down from 80 to 40.

How resistant are your brakes to fading only depends on the pads and rotors (if everything else works properly).

Servicing the calipers - people often assume, that the brake swap they bought is in good condition. Coz you know, "it looks ok". Calipers that are not being checked/serviced are considered "not working properly"(unless new)by default. All rubber seals, boots, pistons, sliders must be in perfect condition, so you can use their full potential. In my observation, most of the rear calipers need a lot of attention and it makes a huge difference after that, but fronts need to be checked, as well.

MBC - it's all about the pedal travel and the feeling while braking. My 1' Legend MBC feels awesome, though a 15/16 would do the job just fine. No matter how big - it changes almost nothing if the brakes are fading.

Braided lines - they are good for precise braking (also helpful for corners)

Brake stopper - just like the above. During hard braking, the whole firewall, together with the MBC can easily move 8-12mm. DIY one could be done very cheap

With all that in mind, I am using 262fr / 242rr disks, together with good pads(just 50$ for all 4 corners) on a 1050kg boosted EG. I have done 6 pulls 0-100-0mph in a row, the disks were glowing red - no sign of fading. I could not overheat them on the race track either (corners). Would I benefit bigger/heavier brakes or race pads - I don't think so.

Even though you are asking opinions for aftermarket brakes, this is where I would start. Worst case scenario you would need 2 calipers and 282mm disks/pads for the front.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:12 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

The Tape-R endurance races with DA front rotors and calipers and EP3 rear rotors and calipers. No cooling ducts and good race pads. We race from 14-24 hours at a time with no fade and can usually get about 36-40 hours before the pads are done (still with material on them, though)
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2015, 09:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

SS braid brake lines need replaced every 5 years. I've had two failures on the street.

I replaced them with NAPA OEM style rubber lines, brakes still felt the same.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowFlyin' View Post
The Tape-R endurance races with DA front rotors and calipers and EP3 rear rotors and calipers. No cooling ducts and good race pads. We race from 14-24 hours at a time with no fade and can usually get about 36-40 hours before the pads are done (still with material on them, though)
Hows the balance with the 10.2" EP3 rears? That 20% is a pretty huge jump from the stock 8.4" rear rotors.

And did you use the stock calipers with the EP3 rotors and brackets? And what proportioning valve are you using?
Old 11-02-2015, 05:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
The Great Weldini

Rep Power: 32 remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....
remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 54 reviews
Send a message via AIM to remoer Send a message via MSN to remoer Send a message via Yahoo to remoer

here's my setup: https://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-f...r-upgrade.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypoint_1 View Post

The suspension should always be faster than the engine - BMW

The term stage was created to make mentally slow ppl feel physically fast.

my DOHC ZC - 133.73whp and 108.48wtq (tuned on a Dynojet)
remoer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2015, 06:22 AM   #17 (permalink)

Rep Power: 9 LAMER is almost a somebodyLAMER is almost a somebodyLAMER is almost a somebodyLAMER is almost a somebody

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
SS braid brake lines need replaced every 5 years. I've had two failures on the street.
The SS lines you were using, were they coated like HEL Braided Brake Lines For Honda Civic CRX EG2 1.6 VTi VTEC (1992-1995) | eBay
or plain SS?
Old 11-03-2015, 08:51 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

I am always amazed that I dont see more people removing their brake booster with big brake setups. No booster + 13/16 MC + Larger brakes = win.

Hell I just have EX 10.3" disks up front and the stock Si 8.4 disks rear on my CRX, and my manual brakes are still a little lighter than I would like for my crappy ass 912 ziexs.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:24 AM   #19 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMER View Post
The SS lines you were using, were they coated like HEL Braided Brake Lines For Honda Civic CRX EG2 1.6 VTi VTEC (1992-1995) | eBay
or plain SS?
first one wasn't, second one was, failed in the same manner.

Quote:
Old 11-03-2015, 08:20 PM   #20 (permalink)
Law
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 Law smells like BoratLaw smells like BoratLaw smells like BoratLaw smells like BoratLaw smells like BoratLaw smells like Borat

You guys not have the MB6 over there? 282mm fronts and 262 rears, 1" master cylinder and prop valve come on them. Although they are 114 pcd.
Combined with EBC yellows, the stopping power is great and you get no fade, even on track
Law is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in