Front sway bar choice - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2015, 12:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 10 v4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default Front sway bar choice

I received a set of ST Sway bars from a friend a while back and put them on, they turned out the be DA integra bars, the older gray/silver ones. According to ST they are 24mm front and 19mm rear. I have had them on for some time with KYB Gr2 struts and Pro kits (i have also replaced all bushings and ball joints etc).

I like the improvement in roll control. I am thinking about putting the stock front sway bar back on with new bushings and end links.
Based on my understanding this would lessen understeer at the limit with faster weight transfer in the rear.

Should I leave the matched set of ST bars on there or swap that front one back on?

The ST bars for the CRX are 22mm front and 22mm rear.
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2015, 02:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 14 19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

Bigger rear bar will help oversteer, yes. But it's imo subjective to the way you drive the car and what you want out of it. There are people that do stock front arb and big rear arb and don't necessarily use them or know how to drive with them. Me I have stock front and rear on my cars and with my coilover setups the cars handle very neutral until I push it extremely hard then there is mild understeer.
1991 Honda Civic Hatchback Si
1998 Honda Civic Sedan EX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

19si91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2015, 07:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to xotic_crx

I'd locate an HF front bar, it's smaller than stock DX/Si and pair it with the 22mm ST rear bar. I ran that for a long time and really like it. Ideally, I'd say no front bar if you had the shock to keep up with it. I didn't like no front bar on my Koni's because it was a bit vague on turn in but with the new Bilsteins it's fine and leaves more travel in the front suspension.

< Like us on FB
xotic_crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 08:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

It all depends on you honestly. Throw the stock one back on and see how it feels.

I'm currently running stock (I think 22mm) front sway bar on my 94 sedan, and a stock LS (14mm?) rear bar. I have very little trouble kicking the back end out. I'm also running 12kf/10kr coilovers. I really like this set up, I may try it without the front sway bar next season just to see how it feels.

The best setup is the one you are best able to control.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2015, 10:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 10 v4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to all

I know I need better shocks/springs. The Eibach Prokits and Gr-2s were take offs from a car I flipped, so no cost there. THe long term goal is Progress CS2 OR Koni yellow with a stiffer spring than what I have, not looking for any more low though.

Since I just dropped money on an Mfactory LSD equipped transmission and Crane cam I can't buy other parts just yet, so I have my stock bars and the DA teg bars just trying to maximize what I have right now. I wonder if the teg rear bar is hollow or solid though....or at least how its torsional stiffness compares to the CRX bar...

Currently not racing though I may once my friends GSR is running again, he autocrossed for years and has been wanting to get back in and knows I have a car that could have fun doing it...I guess I will take the time and swap the front bar back to stock and just see.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to xotic_crx

As big of a fan of Koni/Ground Controls as I am, if you save a little more money there's a better option out there. PM me and I'll pass on the contact info for them.

< Like us on FB
xotic_crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2015, 10:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

To compare...my last fun honda was a 1992 honda accord wagon with h22 swap. I had the Neuspeed Koni's, Neuspeed race springs, ST front and rear bars, all urethane bushings, and it handled really well for such a long car. It could be driven hard enough and stuck well enough that a friend with a miata felt it could outcorner his car...
Old 09-29-2015, 12:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

I like the difference in feel with the Hf bar I am running now. There is actually a bit more roll but the car just feels better. This is with a stock Si rear sway bar on very worn rear suspension and very new front suspension and steering.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2015, 01:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Acid_Beaver View Post
I like the difference in feel with the Hf bar I am running now. There is actually a bit more roll but the car just feels better. This is with a stock Si rear sway bar on very worn rear suspension and very new front suspension and steering.
Sounds like the stock Si bar with the 19mm DA teg ST rear bar might be a decent balance. When I swap my transmission, new wideband, and new cam in I will do the bars as well. Worst case I swap them back...or start saving for something else.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

ST tech support concurs as well that th stock bar and the 19mm integra bar is a better balance than the 24mm integra front bar, they recommended going larger in the rear when i can afford it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in