Trying to find a 15/16th civic si master - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2015, 03:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 8 honduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Trying to find a 15/16th civic si master

Ok so I'm trying to finish up this rear disc swap and I'm trying to find a NEW 15/16th 99-00 civic si master. This is on a 97 dx hatch, non abs. Everywhere I look (advanced auto, auto zone, ebay) lists the part as a 7/8 bore. Can someone help me find one that is definitely 15/16th. I'd like to state that I'm not trying to buy one from Majestic because its $166.

After doing some research I've found a few people saying that the 97-00 civic ex master is also a 15/16th bore, not sure if thats true but I'm going to try to make it to the junkyard tomorrow to confirm....(I actually just confirmed this by looking at my girls 99 ex, it does have a 15/16th master). So I could grab one from the junkyard but I'd rather get a new one.

Edit: This is my conclusion

So after walking all around the junkyard this morning and online research here is what I have come to find to be 100% true.
  1. The Si shares the same master cylinder with the EX. However it is 7/8th and NOT 15/16th like a lot of people state online.
  2. The EX with ABS has a 15/16th brake master cylinder.
  3. The non abs ls and dx have a 13/16th master cylinder.

I ended up picking up the cleanest looking 7/8 master I could find today that had the lid on it. It was only $10 so if it ends up being bad i'll just buy a rebuild kit and still be under the cost of buying a new/reman one. I'm also considering going back and getting a 15/16th from a abs ex and trying it out since I couldn't find a definite reason that I can't use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honduh666 View Post

Here's a little up date:

I have about 100 miles on this set up and it feels great. No locking of the rear brakes or anything. Pedal feels a tad more firm than stock, which I like a lot.

Here is my brake set up:

7/8 master from a NON ABS 96-00 ex
STOCK dx proportioning valve
DA integra front brakes on ex knuckles with brembo rotors and hawk hps pads
DA integra rear brakes on stock DX trailing arms with bremho rotors and hawk hps pads
BF Goodrich SS brake lines (I plan to upgrade to stoptech in the future)
DOT 3 fluid

One thing I would like to note - Make sure you get brake hoses that match the calipers you are using, not the car - I found out the hard way

Last edited by slo_eg8; 10-21-2015 at 04:09 PM.
honduh666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2015, 04:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

The 99-00 si isn't the correct donor. Whether you have abs or not is very important and you have provided no information.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Chrisfrom1986; 09-13-2015 at 04:09 PM.
Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2015, 05:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 8 honduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatness

Ah, sorry I guess I just assumed people are reading my build thread LOL. Anyway its a 97 dx hatch without ABS. I did integra front brakes and am doing integra rear brakes as well.

Why is the em1 master not the correct donor, it has the same part number as the non abs ex?

Old 09-13-2015, 05:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

If all you did was a rear disc ocnversion, ANY master cylinder that was in a 4-disc honda (that bolts up) will work.

spend money that you save on new brake rubber lines or brand-name steel braided lines.
EDIT DAMN NINJA!! (or damn me for typing slow lol)

just grab an integra master then. Why do you NEED a civic SI master?

EDIT#2 7/8 bore is perfectly satisfactory for you. the brake boosters are also avasilable in different sizes. if you want a stiffer pedal, going with a smaller booster can help that feeling. BUt not needed.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

Last edited by mattliston; 09-13-2015 at 05:09 PM.
mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2015, 05:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Well I was looking for the SI master because the rear disc how-to sticky at the top of this section says to use the SI master. Also I just replaced my brake lines and I'm not trying to bend the shit out of them to fit an older master or have to reflare to use an integra.

https://www.d-series.org/forums/suspe...rsion-how.html
Old 09-13-2015, 05:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Another question: Why does everyone say you need to swap to a em1 prop valve, but on Majestic the part number between a dx and si are the same 46210-S04-902?
Old 09-13-2015, 05:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 jpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

rockauto.com has 3 left on closeout @ $54.79. found under 1997 Civic

Quote:
RAYBESTOS MC390406 Professional Grade; Bore Size=15/16"
Sedan; EX Model
There are others there for "Non-ABS; Coupe; EX Model" but those don't specify bore size. You could probably find out their bore size by googling the part numbers. That sedan one I pointed out *might* be for ABS??? I have no clue.

Last edited by jpciii; 09-13-2015 at 06:01 PM.
jpciii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2015, 06:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by honduh666 View Post
Another question: Why does everyone say you need to swap to a em1 prop valve, but on Majestic the part number between a dx and si are the same 46210-S04-902?
Cause some people didn't brother to research back in the day and it got wrote in stone you have to swap the prop, but as you found you do not.

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
HondaDNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2015, 07:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpciii View Post
rockauto.com has 3 left on closeout @ $54.79. found under 1997 Civic

There are others there for "Non-ABS; Coupe; EX Model" but those don't specify bore size. You could probably find out their bore size by googling the part numbers. That sedan one I pointed out *might* be for ABS??? I have no clue.
Thanks for finding that for me but sadly they all seem to be 7/8 or for abs. +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaDNA View Post
Cause some people didn't brother to research back in the day and it got wrote in stone you have to swap the prop, but as you found you do not.
Thanks for confirming that for me! Whats your opinion on running the si/5 speed ex master cylinder with integra front/rear disc?
Old 09-13-2015, 07:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

or you could use the 91 si 15/16ths and be good
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2015, 07:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
or you could use the 91 si 15/16ths and be good
Yeah but then I have to swap the booster and bend my hard lines.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

no. its a direct bolt on
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

I don't know what the 96-00 dx master cylinder and brake lines look like so you'll need to research yourself.

The 90-91 ex 15/16ths master cylinder is direct bolt on for 92-95 civic without abs and the same as dc integra RS which did not come with abs.

Last edited by Chrisfrom1986; 09-13-2015 at 07:19 PM.
Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2015, 07:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
no. its a direct bolt on
Are you sure about that?

The ed boosters have a different bolt pattern compared to ej6.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

There are people out there who have started with a DX, and did nothing but the rear integra brakes, and didnt even touch the master or the prop valve and drove just fine.

The availability of interchangeability means you can play around with pedal feel and performance to really get your car's brake balance and comfort just where you want it.

Build what you have!

Old 09-13-2015, 07:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BrakeExpert's Brake Chart Thread - Civic Brake Upgrades for EF, EG, EK and Integras - Honda-Tech

How to put X brakes on your 96-00 EK civic (revised) upgrade chart - Honda-Tech

Build what you have!

Old 09-13-2015, 07:38 PM   #17 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

https://www.d-series.org/forums/suspe...-question.html

another Honda wtf when they changed generations. swap in a 92-95 ex booster and use a 91 si master. or find a 00 si and use its master, but cant promise itll be 15/16ths.
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Well I also have integra front brakes with hps pads, brembro rotors, and stoptech stainless lines all around.

Also in the "how to put x brakes" thread he says to put the 15/16th master on. And his bore sizes seem to be mixed up.

I think I'm going to try to find a non abs master from a ej8 in the junkyard and pick it up for a few bucks and try it out and return with updates when I get the car back on the road in a month or so.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:41 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
https://www.d-series.org/forums/suspe...-question.html

another Honda wtf when they changed generations. swap in a 92-95 ex booster and use a 91 si master. or find a 00 si and use its master, but cant promise itll be 15/16ths.

The si and non abs ex share the same part # according to Majectics database and all the honda made masters have the size cast into the side so I'll know when I see it.

I'm def not swapping boosters if I can do it for less with a 6th gen master.

Edit:

I just skimmed that thread you linked and hes saying that the ex master is a 7/8 but just looked at my girls car which is a 99 ex with abs and its a 15/16 master. I'm going to the junkyard tomorrow for sure now to look for a 5 speed ex and see what size master is on it because this is bugging me now.

Last edited by honduh666; 09-13-2015 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:29 PM   #20 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

7/8 (14/16) is only a 16th from a 15/16, I say stay 7/8 and see how you like the pedal feel. Smaller master will have a softer pedal, but they have higher fluid pressures.

https://youtu.be/H3TU-GRoO2k?list=UU...3dPKz80EPCyIPQ

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
HondaDNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in