Coilovers and factory top mount - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2015, 03:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 xsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Default Coilovers and factory top mount

I installed Skunk2 Pro S2 coilovers on my newer civic and noticed they bounced alot. I hit up the google and saw the bounce was a normal thing. I was disappointed in these coilovers and was going to sell them because they rode so shitty. I was cruising at around 80 and getting thrown out of my seat and into the air. After playing with these things for a while I finally figured out that the rubber inside this thing (shock mount / pillow mount / top hat / I dont know its real name) is designed to be able to move. These coilovers utilize the factory upper shock mount. This mount has a bushing inside of it. As you can see the top part flexes(refer to video 1 below). The problem is the springs are too stiff and this movement doesnt let the shock completely do its job. It will feel as if you are riding on a pogo stick. This is that bouncy feeling that everyone describes. Im sure Skunk2 is aware of this problem by now as they've come out with these coilovers in 2007. Other coilovers dont have it because other coilovers come with a solid mount. After further research, these coilovers have alot of potential. Redshiftperformance tested these specific coilovers and found the springs match the shocks pretty well. Once I tell anyone about the coilover problem im having, all I hear is "theyre bouncy because they dont have a shock adjustment."

So instead of throwing in the towel, I went ahead and polyurethaned the mounts. I wanted to take the play out of the bushing. I used the German version of "window weld." I plan on letting them sit until Saturday. Its been super humid so I hope this helps make them fully cure. After a day the play appears to be gone.

*Fast forward about a week*

My theory was correct but the polyurethane idea didnt hold up for long. It was alright for about a couple of mins then it just let go. Now were back to square one. Im probably just going to wait 5 months until December and I might go home on leave.

You can see whats actually happening in this video here.
SKunk2 pro s2 fix attempt fail - YouTube

Looking for some input. Any ideas? I want to use these things. I dont want to just let them sit in my basement.

Cliff notes
-Watch this SKunk2 pro s2 fix attempt fail - YouTube
-Shock mount isnt strong enough to isolate the top of the shock. It results in the car bouncing
-Cant find anybody that makes these mounts for a reasonable price (Looked under camber mount/pillow mount/top hat/shock mount).
-Stationed overseas and cant find anyone who will weld it. All my welding stuff is at my parents house and I wont be able to visit until possibly Christmas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81ZWK5gGpfL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	92722   Click image for larger version

Name:	11721832_10155892832890515_4894626_n.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	92730   Click image for larger version

Name:	11721770_10155892833560515_1326872622_n.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	92738  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2015, 05:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I dont think that is the problem. That may be where the top of the shock is mounting, but the springs are connecting with the solid surface that is attached to the chassis.

The problem is most likely that the shocks do not have enough rebound to dampen the spring rates. Thats what you get when you choose a spring rate around slamming the car and make them cheap by using an OEM replacement shock inside a pretty threaded sleeve.
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2015, 07:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 xsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eagle

Yeah the spring is attached to the solid part of the mount. The problem is this mount also has a rubber part that is allowing too much play in it and its almost brand new. The shock is unable to do its job. Its clear in the video. You can see the bounces get smaller and smaller. Imagine assembling the shock and spring without tightening the top nut. Thats the result im getting.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 5 Iagreen is starting to learn the ropesIagreen is starting to learn the ropesIagreen is starting to learn the ropesIagreen is starting to learn the ropesIagreen is starting to learn the ropesIagreen is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

The shock was designed with the rubber part for a reason. For one it's called a dual-path coilover which is better for NVH. It also allows misalignment of the shock. It you were to make it solid it will break/bend your shock. There are top hats with sphericals if you want. The spherical allows the required misalignment.

They bounce because that style of spring/shock is for racecars. Then people put them on street cars and don't want to pay the thousands of dollars for a good part so companies make crappy versions and don't spend time to make them tuned right. Or you just set your ride height too low. That how most people run their coilovers.

For what you're trying to do just put in the polyurethane upper shock bushings or get a set from an integra type-r or '07-'08 Acura TL Type-S. They are very stiff but still allow for misalignment. Best you can get with what you paid for.
Iagreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2015, 11:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

^^^Thanks. You put me in the right direction.

What if I welded in this to the stock mount somehow
Race Ready > Fk Spherical Bearing Cups

and then threw in these bearings
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fkb-wssx10t/overview/

or the FKS10
Race Ready > Fks T Heavy Duty Spherical Bearings Alloy Steel

I was going to bottom out the top part of the OE mount and weld it in place but the shock needs to flex. My idea is like a $60-$80 gamble. I assume this C clip will be able to hold it. The second bear can hold 40k but I dont know if thats side to side or up and down.

My other dumb idea was I could cut out the top part and weld in the tophat style thats used in the 92-00 civic. I think that bushing might be enough because its also found in the rear
Old 07-30-2015, 01:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Rep Power: 5 Iagreen is starting to learn the ropesIagreen is starting to learn the ropesIagreen is starting to learn the ropesIagreen is starting to learn the ropesIagreen is starting to learn the ropesIagreen is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

That's a good track for making your own "pillow ball mounts". Bearings are rated radially and the axial is a percentage of the radial. Check out aurora bearing for the engineering info you'll need.
Iagreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in