EJ6 Rear Subframe/Lower Control Arm Bushing? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org » Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction » Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2015, 05:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default EJ6 Rear Subframe/Lower Control Arm Bushing?

Hey guys, been working on my EJ6 and have encountered a problem. Basically, my LCA bolt is jammed at the subframe, however, I'm trying to understand something. There seems to be some sort of bushing between the nut (and whatever piece it's welded to) and the subframe itself.. Anybody willing to explain if I can change it, what it's called? I've tried looking through the FSM and parts catalog but I can't seem to come up with anything. Got one of these ~bushings~ pretty much junk and if I'm to heat up that nut (too late) it'll just get wrecked. Looking on my other side it seemed pretty well held on, unless it's just with time.

I appreciate any info you guys/gals have to bring! I'll try to get a picture when it's light out.
chamag1996 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2015, 06:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

pics so we know what youre talking about?

also, google is a helpful tool. maybe give it a try?

https://imclumzy.wordpress.com/2009/...nsion-install/

jinkies, look what I found^
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.

Last edited by slo_eg8; 06-14-2015 at 06:07 PM.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2015, 06:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

I think that nut is welded to the sub frame. If it's the one I'm thinking about. Never had any problems disconnecting the LCAs from the sub frame. I also have a De Walt heavy duty cordless impact gun ... so there's that. But I'm pretty sure I changed the LCAs once without it.

Why would you want to "unweld" the nut?

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 06:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Post a pic.

I have had the front lca nut that is welded to the frame, pop the weld and spun freely.
Had to cut into the subframe to put a wrench to hold it.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2015, 06:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 29 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by xile6 View Post
Post a pic.

I have had the front lca nut that is welded to the frame, pop the weld and spun freely.
This is probably your solution. Had to do this with my front tow hooks and rear UCA

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2015, 05:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
pics so we know what youre talking about?
Ht

also, google is a helpful tool. maybe give it a try?

https://imclumzy.wordpress.com/2009/...nsion-install/

jinkies, look what I found^
Just because I don't have many posts doesn't mean I can't search, I assure you. However, searching something you can't quite put a name to isn't always so easy, hence the thread.

That blog post doesn't talk about the bushing I'm speaking of tho, nor show it all that well. I'll try and find pics or take some after work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoXCivic View Post
I think that nut is welded to the sub frame. If it's the one I'm thinking about. Never had any problems disconnecting the LCAs from the sub frame. I also have a De Walt heavy duty cordless impact gun ... so there's that. But I'm pretty sure I changed the LCAs once without it.

Why would you want to "unweld" the nut?
The nut isn't really what I'm asking about, and I sure as hell don't want to "unweld" it. I've got one of those cordless impacts and it won't budge, although I try not to hit it too hard and break it right off inside. I'll be giving her heat to help things out, or at least, once I can get info about this bushing :$

Quote:
Post a pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by preludepatrick View Post
This is probably your solution. Had to do this with my front tow hooks and rear UCA
See my response above. Nut is not what I'm worrying about but the sorta bushing behind it.

Subframe seems to be made with three "layers", between which there are components. nut | unknown bushing | LCA | bolt head. It's said unknown bushing I'm trying to (a) identify, (b) find a replacement and (c) find out how to replace. Heat applied to the nut melts that bushing, which is what has me screwed right now.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

never said you couldn't search, I asked for a pic, like I dunno, google the location, find the area youre talking about and circle it. don't get your panties in a wad, I left the ponies out
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

ok post a picture.

If you talking about what i think.
then it will be a rubber protector. It stops water from getting in there and rusting everything in place.

But as said a photo is worth a million words.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2015, 09:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
never said you couldn't search, I asked for a pic, like I dunno, google the location, find the area youre talking about and circle it. don't get your panties in a wad, I left the ponies out
Well now I've got the next best thing, a pic off my own ride. Hopefully it'll help us find out whatever the hell it does. O.o

Quote:
ok post a picture.

If you talking about what i think.
then it will be a rubber protector. It stops water from getting in there and rusting everything in place.

But as said a photo is worth a million words.

Not sure it could really do much as a protector and I doubt they'd use as much material instead of just a thin boot for the same purpose. Upon inspection it seems as though the plate onto which the nut is welded is separate from the subframe itself. Unless it's welded on the back of the plate, but having seen it shift on the heated bushing, it probably isn't. I'm starting to wonder if the rubber's jod is to put tension on the bolt for whatever reason. Why they'd only do this at the subframe and nowhere else is beyond me.

My hope is that I can buy this off of Honda if I can happen to get a part number... Looking through online retailers has yet to yield any results. I'll keep looking tho..

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAG Free1434560208.834132.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	90665

To the right lies our (unharmed) bushing. Subframe > LCA > Subframe > ¿Bushing? > Nut/Plate

Name:	ImageUploadedByAG Free1434560342.684599.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	90673

Here you can see the one I heated by accident. Note the plate onto which the nut is welded, tweaked non-parallel to the subframe.

Note the lack of attachment between the nut plate and the subframe. They really seem independant of one another.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Here is honda's break down of it all.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ej6.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	90681  

2007 Toyota Matrix XR (1ZZFE 6spd)
2005 Pontiac Vibe GT (2ZZGE 6spd)
1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

You will be missed but not forgotten.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2015, 09:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerDrinkin View Post
Here is honda's break down of it all.

I checked on Majestic too but I don't see my bushing in that diagram. :$
Old 06-17-2015, 10:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

first pic looks like number 3
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

definitely looks like the compensator/toe link not the LCA you're talking about

here's a better pic of one
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2015, 12:46 PM   #14 (permalink)

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Those look like normal honda bushings, have a metal sleeve wrapped in rubber bushing inside a metal ring pressed into the arm or what not.

Kind of like these HR ones. the ones down the middle for instance.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2015, 12:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
first pic looks like number 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebox_civic View Post
definitely looks like the compensator/toe link not the LCA you're talking about

here's a better pic of one
I assure you my pictures are of the lower control arm and not the compensator arm. Besides, from what I can see the compensator arm mount doesn't allow for access to the nut on the other side due to it going into the body/frame.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

You can't get that LCA bushing from Honda, you might from NAPA or rock auto but you would be better off with a whole arm, they can be had for the cheap with the bushings.

2007 Toyota Matrix XR (1ZZFE 6spd)
2005 Pontiac Vibe GT (2ZZGE 6spd)
1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Last edited by BeerDrinkin; 06-17-2015 at 01:08 PM.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2015, 01:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoshot View Post
Those look like normal honda bushings, have a metal sleeve wrapped in rubber bushing inside a metal ring pressed into the arm or what not.

Kind of like these HR ones. the ones down the middle for instance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerDrinkin View Post
You can't get that LCA bushing from Honda, you might from NAPA or rock auto but you would be better off with a whole arm, they can be had for the cheap with the bushings.
See the pic below. We aren't talking LCA bushings.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAG Free1434575732.584264.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	90729
Old 06-17-2015, 01:25 PM   #18 (permalink)

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Oh you finally circled the part you were talking about, now we can get some answers.

edit: These are from an integra but from what I read they do the same thing on the ends of the rear subframe mount points.

Looks like those are a bushing to help vibration noise out back, looks like they are part of the mount point under the car. Not sure you can get them, since I don't know the part name, maybe a tech can chime in, DNA, Beer?

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

Last edited by Whoshot; 06-17-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
n00b

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoshot View Post
Oh you finally circled the part you were talking about, now we can get some answers.

edit: These are from an integra but from what I read they do the same thing on the ends of the rear subframe mount points.

Looks like those are a bushing to help vibration noise out back, looks like they are part of the mount point under the car. Not sure you can get them, since I don't know the part name, maybe a tech can chime in, DNA, Beer?
Yeah well judging the responses I can see I wasn't the clearest of OPs, sorry about that. However, that is exactly what I was talking about. If I can't find replacements, do you think just a good washer to distribute the force and nut could do the job? When I get to heating the bolt loose I doubt there'll be much left of that bushing.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:52 PM   #20 (permalink)

Dude found your savior right here.

http://guide.alibaba.com/shop/dorman..._35147727.html

Quote:
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in