1st gen insight rear drums fit 92-95 civic? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2015, 12:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 iidavid123ii is learning the way of the Diidavid123ii is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default 1st gen insight rear drums fit 92-95 civic?

Im wondering if a set of insight aluminum rear brake drums would fit onto a 92-95 civic with the smaller rear drum brakes?
Ive done some searching on the web and theirs not much info on it.
ive found one thread stating they'll swap right over onto a 92-95 but ive also read another thread stating the backing plate wont let it work.
Any help or info would be appreciated thanks.
iidavid123ii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2015, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Why do you need to do this again?

EDIT: If you really want to mess with it than rip the whole assembly out from the junk yard and see what will and won't fit, maybe you can use the backing plate from this one or even the brake setup. I still don't see why this is a good idea. If you are trying to save a few lbs on rotating mass than get a set of HF wheels or miata wheels with the center bored out to fit or an aftermarket wheel under 12lbs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 Toyota Matrix XR (1ZZFE 6spd)
2005 Pontiac Vibe GT (2ZZGE 6spd)
1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Last edited by BeerDrinkin; 05-07-2015 at 12:44 PM.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2015, 12:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 iidavid123ii is learning the way of the Diidavid123ii is learning the way of the D

I have to replace the brake drums on my car and found a set of brand new insight aluminum drums for the same price as oem drums while searching through craigslist so i figured why not see if they'll fit. I've heard of people running these and the hf drums so i just wanted to see if i could upgrade a bit while doing some maintenance. Although if it wont work i wouldn't waste my time or money buying them.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

In that case why even bother, just put the OEM style ones on and then you know they will work. I just don't see it being a big upgrade, the upgrade would be rear discs

1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

Old 05-07-2015, 01:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Ive contemplated the rear disks but ive also read negative things about rear disk conversions on here..
Threads like this have made me think twice https://www.d-series.org/forums/suspe...-wanted-2.html
Old 05-07-2015, 01:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Biggest downfall with the rear disc setup is the parking brake being in the caliper, it's a junk design. Toyota and other makers use a drum in disc setup for rear disc brakes.

1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

Old 05-07-2015, 01:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 10 v4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Drums last longer, weigh less, have a better lockup for parking brake (and burnouts), and are much more a pain to maintain though you rarely have to do it. Only reason i swapped was i got all the parts with brand new cables for less than $100,

are those aluminum drums cheaper than a pair of oem replacements?
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2015, 02:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Well I'm paying $25 for them off Craigslist, and I think I gonna pull the trigger on them and try them with some Porterfield brake shoes.
On eBay they cost $63 shipped their Ikuta OE brake drums for the Honda insight.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by v4lu3s View Post
Drums last longer, weigh less, have a better lockup for parking brake (and burnouts), and are much more a pain to maintain though you rarely have to do it. Only reason i swapped was i got all the parts with brand new cables for less than $100,

are those aluminum drums cheaper than a pair of oem replacements?

drums are HEAVIER

you forget hardware kit, adjuster wheel, wheel cylinder, both shoes, the heavy backing plate, and the drum itself that weighs as much as just the caliper.

it is down to one setup lasting 100k miles, and one setup lasting 50k miles with regular guide pin greasing.

Rear disc is cheaper to maintain and easier.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2015, 04:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Check RockAuto. Centric usually has diagrams with useful dimensions.

Looks like:

Insight - 179mm & 5lbs
92-5 Civic - 200mm & 9lbs
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2015, 04:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Is that drum size for the manual transmission equipped or automatic 92-95 civic? If I'm correct they had two different sizes
Old 05-07-2015, 04:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

Just looked it up for 92-95 the manual transmission is 179mm the automatic is 200mm. So it should work.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by iidavid123ii View Post
Ive contemplated the rear disks but ive also read negative things about rear disk conversions on here..
Threads like this have made me think twice https://www.d-series.org/forums/suspe...-wanted-2.html
Dont listen to the acid beaver about rear drums vs disks, at some point he had a terrible experience with Honda rear disks and now thinks rear disks means you cant have a working parking brake on a Honda. It isnt true, they work just fine if they are put together right and not totally neglected. My CRX has been my daily driver for over 2 years and I have never touched the rear disks and everything works perfectly, I ebrake slide, burn and park all the time without issue.

Personally I hate drums because of their inherent contamination problems and unpredictability that causes, and I hate honda drums even worse because you have to constantly adjust them or else you have a squishy brake pedal. But those are my personal biases.

Last edited by JoelEspinoza; 05-07-2015 at 07:37 PM.
JoelEspinoza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2015, 07:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

age old theory on honda parking brakes and rear discs: USE EM OR LOSE EM

aka rip the e-brake every now and again to keep the darn thing from sezing up and breaking. Corrosion and neglect kill those things.

Build what you have!

Old 05-07-2015, 07:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by iidavid123ii View Post
Just looked it up for 92-95 the manual transmission is 179mm the automatic is 200mm. So it should work.
88-2005 civic rear drums are 200mm except for the extreme fuel economy models like VX, CX, and old HF

weight savings was the idea.

going from memory here.... look at rockauto vehicle compatability charts on some of the part numbers to be sure...

Build what you have!

Old 05-07-2015, 08:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
88-2005 civic rear drums are 200mm except for the extreme fuel economy models like VX, CX, and old HF

weight savings was the idea.

going from memory here.... look at rockauto vehicle compatability charts on some of the part numbers to be sure...
You might wanna check your info....most are 180mm.

1992-1995 are 180mm except 1.5L Sedan A/T, 1.6L model
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	92-95 EG Brakes.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	88185  

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2015, 10:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
You might wanna check your info....most are 180mm.

1992-1995 are 180mm except 1.5L Sedan A/T, 1.6L model
Kinda why I said to be accurate, look up. I have shit for memory these days.

ha, its pretty much all my info nowadyas "I think this, but google that shit for sure..." lol

Build what you have!

Old 05-07-2015, 10:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

I only found out when I had the two EG sedans, one LX and other was DX, both slush boxes.

The rear shoes are wider as well, quite the size difference when looking at them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2015, 06:11 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 10 v4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
drums are HEAVIER

you forget hardware kit, adjuster wheel, wheel cylinder, both shoes, the heavy backing plate, and the drum itself that weighs as much as just the caliper.

it is down to one setup lasting 100k miles, and one setup lasting 50k miles with regular guide pin greasing.

Rear disc is cheaper to maintain and easier.
I guess my scale has been wrong each of the 3 conversions i have done on my own cars. My own eyes look at a typical 3+ lbs a side LIGHTER for drums. I used to believe that nonsense until I did the disc conversion on my 1992 honda accord back in 2002, the scale didnt lie. Then 2 years later i did the conversion for my 1994 civic...and converted back to drums. saw teh saem thing on teh scale 2 years ago when i did the conversion on my 89 crx as well. i dont just "believe" stuff, I test it and often i find that "common knowledge" that is spread on forums is flat out wrong.

Last edited by v4lu3s; 05-08-2015 at 06:33 AM.
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2015, 08:03 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 Abide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Abide

Quote:
Originally Posted by v4lu3s View Post
I guess my scale has been wrong each of the 3 conversions i have done on my own cars. My own eyes look at a typical 3+ lbs a side LIGHTER for drums. I used to believe that nonsense until I did the disc conversion on my 1992 honda accord back in 2002, the scale didnt lie. Then 2 years later i did the conversion for my 1994 civic...and converted back to drums. saw teh saem thing on teh scale 2 years ago when i did the conversion on my 89 crx as well. i dont just "believe" stuff, I test it and often i find that "common knowledge" that is spread on forums is flat out wrong.
better be careful, with that kind of rational thought process you might even find out they brake better too, they just don't handle heat.

nothing wrong with drums, just wouldnt road race on them. I think even the larger 4wd drums still weigh less than crx disk rears and they are oversized a little. For me it's the springs that I never want to deal with.
Abide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in