New brakes - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2015, 12:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic
Question New brakes

Anyone every used/heard of Power Stop? I'm thinking about grabbing their "Street Warrior" pad/rotor combo, and I'm seeing mixed reviews. Everywhere between "hey these are awesome" to some BMW guys saying they managed to warp the rotors in 4 - 10K miles. Just wondering if any DSO guys have any experience with this brand. If they can perform on par with my slottet Brembo Rotor/EBC redstuff combo ... that's be great considering I can find a full kit for about $250.

That being said I'm totally okay spending $500 to redo all four corners if I have to. I've been eyeballin' full EBC kits and they seem to be running in the $300 - $500 range. I really like my current set up but if I can save a few bucks and have similar performance ... I'm all for it.

Any other suggestions? I will say that I've used the Hawk HPS pads on the rotors I have now and was not impressed (so those are out as far as pads are concerned). Car sees primarily DD duty with the occasional AutoX weekend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<--- Stolen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2015, 01:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 khmoe  is accepted as part of the communitykhmoe  is accepted as part of the communitykhmoe  is accepted as part of the communitykhmoe  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

262mm? upgrade to 282mm / EBC D1111 discs with crv/accord/itr caliper and brackets.
ITR Calipers ,Rear Disc, EBC Blue Stuff Pads.
299.2WHP on a Greddy kit

khmoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2015, 05:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 5 jetrinka is starting to learn the ropesjetrinka is starting to learn the ropesjetrinka is starting to learn the ropesjetrinka is starting to learn the ropesjetrinka is starting to learn the ropesjetrinka is starting to learn the ropesjetrinka is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I've got a set of Powerstops "basic" pad on my 02 Grand Cherokee (high performance I know...) and have no complaints. I believe Powerstop is owned by Centric and every car i've put Centric brakes on stopped quite well with little noise. I don't have any experience with the performance stuff but as a brand they seem to be just fine and know what they are doing.
jetrinka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 05:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Just curious did you follow the bed in procedure for the hawks? I loved my hawk hps pads but then again I've only ever ran oem or autozone crap

turbo 99 ex sedan A/C build -

Alicia Aemisegger
Blu3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2015, 06:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

Quote:
Originally Posted by khmoe View Post
262mm? upgrade to 282mm / EBC D1111 discs with crv/accord/itr caliper and brackets.
Not sure I can go bigger with the wheels I have on there now. The calipers barely clear them as it is. At some point I may ditch the 14s and go for some bigger brakes but for now the OEM sizes are going to have to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu3 View Post
Just curious did you follow the bed in procedure for the hawks? I loved my hawk hps pads but then again I've only ever ran oem or autozone crap
To the best of my knowledge I did. Perhaps not it was the first brake pad swap I did. They performed on par with the OEM pads I replaced ... maybe a little better. I just remember not being impressed with them for a performance oriented pad. Of course switching from worn OEM rotors and the Hawk HPS pads to the slotted Brembo rotors and EBC redstuff may have severely clouded my memory.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
Old 04-24-2015, 07:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!

My hawks performed way better than oem on my hx coupe, everyone who drove my car said my brakes were super touchy and stopped Hella good. I have some hawk hps waiting to go on my ex sedan but I'm not sure if I want slotted rotors or oem replacements, really don't want a shit ton more brake dust or have to replace pads more often

turbo 99 ex sedan A/C build -

Alicia Aemisegger
Blu3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2015, 07:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Fuck EBC garbage pads, esp. green and red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2015, 08:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

My experience with them was obviously much different than yours. Three years of daily driving + autocross and they're still doing good. But it's about time to do the rotors.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
Old 04-24-2015, 08:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Greens last two (45 minute?) session at Mid Ohio on a GSR Integra on grippy Toyo's. Pads were GONE, aka no material left although they felt good till the last 10% when heat became an issue. Next event the driver upgraded to Reds...they lasted 4 sessions.

Replaced with Raybestos Gold from NAPA, lasted several events.

EG HB with Accord Wagon brakes and same Ray Gold pads...just stupid grippy until hot and faded slightly.

RU Faster than a redneck, Taylor Swift and the exploding easter egg, Todd Reid's EG HB, which I did some tranny work for when it was still SOHC.

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to xotic_crx

I've never had any issues on Hawks and Advance's stock blanks. The only time I had to make a change was when we finally went to R compounds I guess the HPS's got beyond their effective heat range and were fading pretty bad in 100* temps. I upgraded to the HP+ on the same rotors and never had any more issues.

< Like us on FB
xotic_crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2015, 05:50 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotic_crx View Post
I've never had any issues on Hawks and Advance's stock blanks. The only time I had to make a change was when we finally went to R compounds I guess the HPS's got beyond their effective heat range and were fading pretty bad in 100* temps. I upgraded to the HP+ on the same rotors and never had any more issues.
Well judging by your class champion-ness I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you're a better driver than I am. If that setup is effective for you ... I bet it will be effective for me (as long as I tighten the nut behind the wheel).

What would you think of the HP+ pads on the street? Here in the PNW we don't often get up to 100* so the HPS would probably work out all right, but on the other hand ... my car is significantly heavier than yours (at least I would guess it is).

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
Old 04-25-2015, 10:32 AM   #12 (permalink)

Rep Power: 22 xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoXCivic View Post
Well judging by your class champion-ness I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you're a better driver than I am. If that setup is effective for you ... I bet it will be effective for me (as long as I tighten the nut behind the wheel).

What would you think of the HP+ pads on the street? Here in the PNW we don't often get up to 100* so the HPS would probably work out all right, but on the other hand ... my car is significantly heavier than yours (at least I would guess it is).
My car weighed in at 2103 in race trim without me in it. And don't let my lack of competition fool you into thinking I'm good lol. That said, I daily my car without issue on the HP+, and they come up to temp fairly quickly on course. On the street I don't do enough heavy braking to ever notice them cold, they still feel fine to me.

< Like us on FB
Old 04-25-2015, 10:47 AM   #13 (permalink)

Okay ... so my car only weighs in about 300 lbs heavier. Blanks and HP+ it is ... or something along those lines.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
Old 04-25-2015, 11:22 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoXCivic View Post
Okay ... so my car only weighs in about 300 lbs heavier. Blanks and HP+ it is ... or something along those lines.
Oh, I forgot to mention I run the HPS on the back now with the HP+ up front. What I was getting at originally is I think you'd be ok with HPS on street tires, but the + aren't a bad choice. Mine were noisy for a while, still squeak some when stopping.

< Like us on FB
Old 04-25-2015, 04:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

HPS on my CRX, limited by booster/MC/PP valve sizing issues.

Quote:
Old 04-25-2015, 04:44 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotic_crx View Post
Oh, I forgot to mention I run the HPS on the back now with the HP+ up front. What I was getting at originally is I think you'd be ok with HPS on street tires, but the + aren't a bad choice. Mine were noisy for a while, still squeak some when stopping.
Well I race on slicks. So I might as well just get one set. I'm a lazy racer I don't wanna be changing a bunch of parts the night before ... I don't really have the space right now.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in