Rear LCA with steel spherical bushings - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2015, 06:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 10 v4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default Rear LCA with steel spherical bushings

I did not want to say SKunk2 in the title lol

basically I am curious about people's opinions on the use of a different bushing materials in the rear lcas. Skunk2 has a spherical steel bushing in the connection to teh trailing arm, a delrin bushing at the shock mount and a urethane bushing on the subframe connection.

I know wear on street driven cars is a concern with the steel bushing.
I have a very good opinion of delrin though, and of course the concern on the urethane bushing is typical with skunk2, that its just junk.
Overall i like the idea of this kind of setup, but maybe someone has seen a similar setup or seen this setup in use....basically I am replacing rear LCA's at some point (i have a left rear toe issue, so I am replacing everything except the trailing arm right now).

A dealer who i trust and have used for well over a decade suggested them, and I was skeptical which he understood. I figured there are some smart people here and maybe they have some input or ideas that I am not seeing.
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2015, 06:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

Question ... do you like your kidneys?

Uprating the "hardness" of the bushings will cause more "shock" to be transferred. I noticed the difference swapping from OEM to poly.

If I had it to do over ... I'd probably consider going hard rubber over poly ... but I got the whole LCA w/poly bushings for a good price.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<--- Stolen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2015, 07:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

I have always thoguht poly all around with rubber shock and inner arm bushings were the key to comfort and "tightness"

Im planning to go with full poly kit from ES and go from there. I wont be having stiff coilovers, just mild drop on sporty struts

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 08:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 5 Iagreen is starting to learn the ropesIagreen is starting to learn the ropesIagreen is starting to learn the ropesIagreen is starting to learn the ropesIagreen is starting to learn the ropesIagreen is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Some production cars do use sphericals but they are sealed and more costly. The open style sphericals used in race applications work because of the limited mileage racecars see. The problem is dirt intrusion wearing out the bearing and causing slop. In a racecar application they get replaced every couple seasons but that would be only a couple months of street driving for a regular car.
Iagreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2015, 05:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 10 v4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to all

I have run 100% Prothane bushings on a car before, did not bother me despite feeling more from the road. They went along with Neuspeed Konis and Neuspeed race springs, and with the decent suspension parts it road a LOT better than a civic with ebay coilovers and tokico illuminas.

I found it curious that though the body to lca connection was the urethane where it would offer SOME isolation. Then the outer connection that sees the most load gets a steel spherical bushing. I cannot visibly tell the difference between a sealed or open spherical bushing since I have never even considered it. With a steel bushing I can really see the concern of wear during street use.

I know with Skunk2 there are always quality concerns, I am more interested in the idea of using different materials in each position really.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Never finishes (TWSS)

Rep Power: 18 Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!
Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!

I just ordered 20 heim and spherical bearings for my rear 5 link setup. I like them not to harsh lol. Well i also like solid motor mounts.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

You using open or sealed ?
Old 04-16-2015, 01:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Never finishes (TWSS)

Rep Power: 18 Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!
Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!

Opened ones. I only plan on driving the car on nice days and not very often though. Sealed cost alot more i may switch to them if i run into problems.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

I emailed skunk2 and the impression i got is that they know the open steel bushings wont last long at all on the street with daily driving as they recommended not getting the Alpha or ultra LCAs lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in