Front Wind Splitters - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2015, 11:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 Lyle_57IAL smells like BoratLyle_57IAL smells like BoratLyle_57IAL smells like BoratLyle_57IAL smells like BoratLyle_57IAL smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Lyle_57IAL
Default Front Wind Splitters

Hey guys,

Anyone got photos of a their DIY front wind splitters? Any advice on material (alloy / ply wood), shape, angle etc. Any pros & cons to front support tie rods?
how strong it really needs to be. i.e. being able to stand on it etc

Cheers
Lyle_57IAL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2015, 06:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Special Projects Motorsports

Kiwi

FSAE throws girls in their rear wind splitter to prove strength of their carbon fiber.

If it can not hold the weight of the expected down force, whats the point?
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2015, 06:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

^^

Yup!

http://www.specialprojectsms.com/
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 07:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 14 19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

Topone automotive also makes nice aero
1991 Honda Civic Hatchback Si
1998 Honda Civic Sedan EX

19si91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2015, 09:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 Lyle_57IAL smells like BoratLyle_57IAL smells like BoratLyle_57IAL smells like BoratLyle_57IAL smells like BoratLyle_57IAL smells like Borat
Send a message via MSN to Lyle_57IAL

Sure thing Was thinking of simply making my own. any recommendations on Ply-wood thickness? was going to fabricate up some side winglets with like a progressive ramp on the side out of alloy. thickness on here too?

Maybe like 15mm ply and 6mm alloy?
Lyle_57IAL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2015, 05:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 20 the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!
the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!

If you look at most winglets. They are somewhere between 2-4 mill thickness. As for plywood, start at 1/2 inch. Shouldn't need more than that. Also at least 2 struts sometimes 4 depending on the size of the lip. Also make several copies and different sizes to dial in what will be best. Then you can swap them around depending on what track you are at.

92 teg ( new project)
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys with d series motors under the hood.

R.I.P Pat PRIMMER! You will be missed.

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.
the hoove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2015, 11:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Front Air Dam is off an late-80's, early-90's Camry, the splitter is made from a composite sandwiched between 2 thin sheets of aluminum and the hangers are 1" steel strap (3/16", IIRC)

'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD

Last edited by LowFlyin'; 03-09-2015 at 12:00 PM.
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2015, 01:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

One thing to remember when developing a splitter, it is a disposable item. You do not want is so thick and strong that when, not if, you go off course and damage the splitter it doesn't damage your frame. I believe kiwi's is 3/8" thick, but I'm not sure, research it. Also, there is a great thread on HT about splitters.

Quote:
you will get stuck in the "willfully ignorant" category and I will do what I can to see that you never get an answer to any question you ever ask on this forum again.

BiggieBert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2015, 07:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

90dirtydsi It's a JDM Star Bitches....90dirtydsi It's a JDM Star Bitches....90dirtydsi It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

I made one once. If you try to use plywood, make sure it's water proof and expect to spend about $80 for a sheet big enough to make 2 splitters with.

Also don't install a splitter if the car is street legal and it snows in your area because your truck will break and you'll be forced to drive it through the snow. The snow will fill your engine bay, start overheating and then force snow through the missing upper timing cover until it jumps timing and leaves you stranded in the middle of the road in a white out blizzard. Not that this has ever happened to me or anything.

RIP
90dirtydsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in