Axles spinning in trans case - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2014, 04:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 7 mitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Axles spinning in trans case

The passenger side inner boot is just spinning on the actual axle shaft like it may be popped out from the inside (originally what I thought) and the driver side is just sitting in place nothing spinning at all. I guess ill just get a new axle for the passenger but what about the driver do I need to replace it? the axles look like its lined up all the way to the transmission but I guess it probably isnt. Any tips on getting it in all the way? Their was a little c clip that goes around the inner tip of the axle when I took it out and I made sure to put that back in. What is it for?
mitchwbr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2014, 04:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 29 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Usually what I do is loosen the axle nut, get a steel bar that I have, and gently tap it through the hub. When there is only a thread or two visible through the hub, tighten the nut slightly to pull it back through the hub, then repeat until the axle is seated into the transmission.

Before you do this though, is there a gap between the axle seal and the transmission housing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2014, 05:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

the little c-clip is what holds it in place.

I hate those things, always cause issues.
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 05:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

The C clip locks in the the axles to the trans.

I'm not 100% sure I'm understsnding you...

Does the axle still work? Has grease leaked out yet(slung anywhere)? If not, tighten the metal clips up. All should be well if its not torn/leaking/still functioning.

Scratch that.

I thought you're talking about the boot (long day)

Get the axles support highter (make them straight.) Then hammer them in. Sometimes it feels like too much force. But its ok...

Also greasing the splines makes it easier.

|

#

!
Quote:
Start there, if you still cant figure it out, you are not going to.
How
to act on this forum...

Last edited by Mr.Fodo; 12-23-2014 at 05:07 PM.
Mr.Fodo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2014, 05:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 7 mitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Fodo View Post
The C clip locks in the the axles to the trans.

I'm not 100% sure I'm understsnding you...

Does the axle still work? Has grease leaked out yet(slung anywhere)? If not, tighten the metal clips up. All should be well if its not torn/leaking/still functioning.

Scratch that.

I thought you're talking about the boot (long day)

Get the axles support highter (make them straight.) Then hammer them in. Sometimes it feels like too much force. But its ok...

Also greasing the splines makes it easier.
Problem wass I took off the hub and let it dangle when I was replacing the struts and I think it popped it out of place internally. Took the axle out and it seemed fine sand It popped back into place. put everything back together and it just spinned on the boot.

When i put it back in, it seemed like it clipped in, but I guess not
Old 12-23-2014, 05:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

There should be no gap between the seal and the small lip on the axle. The gap from axle to trans should be just enough for a screw driver to fit.

Lol I knew that I wasn't crazy! Your post was about the boot. But the title/main concern is the trans... small win for me lol.

The inner on both sides have a 3 sided yoke. Were you able to feel it slide into the casing when you popped it in? There should be no clicking here. But when tapping it in. You need to push the axle all way in while holding the outer straight.

|

#

!
Quote:
Start there, if you still cant figure it out, you are not going to.
How
to act on this forum...
Mr.Fodo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2014, 05:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

robgoof Still a JDM Star....robgoof Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

When I put an axle in ,I like to find the meshing grooves then I ram it home in one nice fluid motion ,it makes me feel

is this a car you are putting together or one that stranded itself?

Last edited by robgoof; 12-23-2014 at 05:59 PM. Reason: hi
robgoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2014, 05:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I took it apart myself with axles in great shape before lol I just replaced the struts and now the axle is popped out of the joint.

I took the axle out and popped it back in the way I was feeling was it was gonna go in there nicely I just dont understand why its still spinning internally probably just gonna buy a used axle for 35 and try it
Old 12-25-2014, 05:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by preludepatrick View Post
Usually what I do is loosen the axle nut, get a steel bar that I have, and gently tap it through the hub. When there is only a thread or two visible through the hub, tighten the nut slightly to pull it back through the hub, then repeat until the axle is seated into the transmission.

Before you do this though, is there a gap between the axle seal and the transmission housing?
Any more info on how to do this I cant exactly picture this?
Old 12-26-2014, 05:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

gearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcano

Only time I ever had this issue was when I broke the axle on a launch. Either shattered the tripod or sheared the splines off the shaft.
06 CGP TSX - 6 speed DD
gearhead98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in