E-brake adjustment - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2014, 11:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 98givicex is learning the way of the D98givicex is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default E-brake adjustment

hey, sorry if this has been covered before but I have been searching for about an hour now. I just did a rear disc brake swap to 10.3 inch brakes using integra caliper with rsx caliper brackets. Anyway, I used new 99 civic si ebrake cables and I have them tightened all the way down unde the armrest and the ebrake does not fully engage. My rear calipers are functional(I can tell because all the parts are new and I can see some slight wear on the rear rotors). I did notice that on these ebrake cables there seems to be a nut on them close to where they attach to the rear caliper. Should I be adjusting this as well?

Any ideas would be appreciated. Like I said, I've already fully tightened them from under the arm rest.

Thanks
1998 Honda Civic ex coupe(Workhorse/beater)
98givicex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2014, 07:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	78962check the manual.
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.

Last edited by slo_eg8; 12-21-2014 at 07:26 PM.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2014, 03:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 98givicex is learning the way of the D98givicex is learning the way of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
Attachment 78962check the manual.
ive already done that part, but after doing some more searching last night i found in an integra forum(i searched there as well because they are integra calipers) that i need to loosen the ebrake nute under the armrest completely, turn the car on and then "pump the brakes several times" and then adjust the ebrake nut. The guy that posted it, posted it directly out of the manual so i guess i will give it a try. The idea is that there are some type of "auto adjusters" that need calibrated. If this doesnt work im not sure what to do other than try another reman caliper(ive seen this problem be caused by bad calipers)

Old 12-22-2014, 04:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Just tried what I talked about in the last post and still nothing. I can tell the brakes are biting a little bit, just not enough to stop it on a steep hill.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-22-2014, 05:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 15 SOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

I have this same problem. It bites enough for a small hill but not a large one. I'm adjusted all the way tight. Thinking I may need to disassemble the cable at the armrest and take out the slack.
Hondata S300/P28, Innovate LC1 wideband

SOHC_STUDENT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2014, 07:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHC_STUDENT View Post
I have this same problem. It bites enough for a small hill but not a large one. I'm adjusted all the way tight. Thinking I may need to disassemble the cable at the armrest and take out the slack.

How do you plan on taking out the slack? I just wanna know so I can try lol

Old 12-24-2014, 05:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Does it have to do with using larger rotors? EM1 cables were made for smaller ones.

Maybe you have to play with how it's attached to chassis
HMONGstrong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2014, 08:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 35 Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 17 reviews

I have the same issue with mine although I didn't actually swap anything out. All I did was remove the rear trailing arms completely for maintenance. Upon re-installation/adjustment, All I can get is a slight drag. lol

"I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive."

R.I.P - Pat Primmer

Quote:
Beat them, cheat on them, treat them like shit and you'll get a hot woman that won't ever leave you. Women are a stupid breed that don't use fucking sense.
Black91CRXsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2014, 08:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

To adjust kelsey hayes you need to hold down the brake pedal with your foot, then keep jacking off the ebrake. It will ratchet out the locking mechanism in the caliper so the ebrake will work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2014, 06:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

I set my eBrake to lock about an inch or two from the vertical position.

This allows my hand to accelerate up with the handle farther faster as to provide a quicker locking action, makes sliding fun and easy.
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2014, 11:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

i think i found the problem, for some reason the rear calipers dont seem to be catching at all anymore( i can tell because the rotors still look pretty new) im going to try another set of reman calipers and see if it fixes it.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerD View Post
To adjust kelsey hayes you need to hold down the brake pedal with your foot, then keep jacking off the ebrake. It will ratchet out the locking mechanism in the caliper so the ebrake will work.
to adjust the what?
Old 12-26-2014, 11:12 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black91CRXsi View Post
I have the same issue with mine although I didn't actually swap anything out. All I did was remove the rear trailing arms completely for maintenance. Upon re-installation/adjustment, All I can get is a slight drag. lol
i wonder what the problem could be then. this makes no sense to me.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMONGstrong View Post
Does it have to do with using larger rotors? EM1 cables were made for smaller ones.

Maybe you have to play with how it's attached to chassis
no, because the ebrake mechanism on the caliper is the same. i think maybe i got a bad set of calipers.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

Well, I replaced me calipers and still nothing. It seems the ebrake cable does not have enough tension in it to pull the mechanism. I've tried every weird method out there and nithing. I did not use the stock Clevis pin and I'm thinking maybe that's the issue. I will order some from Honda and see if that fixes it. Also, I did not use those brackets on the calipers that you're supposed to feed the cable through. Is this an issue? I didn't use them because the reman calipers did not come with them.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:26 AM   #16 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Lol yes. Those hold the outer jacket of the cable from moving so the inner cable can do its work.

Post pics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2015, 01:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Lol yes. Those hold the outer jacket of the cable from moving so the inner cable can do its work.

Post pics.

I will post some pics ASAP. Weather has been bad so I haven't gotten the car back up in the air yet.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:23 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:

Post pics.
That's exactly what I was about to say.

What bracket? If you mean #25 then yes. That will affect how they operate.

Also, if you've done a bad job of bleeding, the handbrake wont work properly either. I believe mine and Biggies car did the same on our rear disc swap. Cross bleed it also...

|

#

!
Quote:
Start there, if you still cant figure it out, you are not going to.
How
to act on this forum...

Last edited by Mr.Fodo; 01-05-2015 at 03:27 PM.
Mr.Fodo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2015, 11:50 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Fodo View Post
That's exactly what I was about to say.

What bracket? If you mean #25 then yes. That will affect how they operate.

Also, if you've done a bad job of bleeding, the handbrake wont work properly either. I believe mine and Biggies car did the same on our rear disc swap. Cross bleed it also...
yup number 25 it is, and what exactly do you mean by cross bleed? what i normally do is work from the farthest corner away from the master cylinder to the closest. Example: rear passenger, rear driver, front passenger, front driver.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:40 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!

When you drain it to do a rear brake, there could be air in the prop valve still.

Cross bleeding is suggested in HELMs with rear disks IIRC. So RP, FD, RD, FP.

And yea, the #25 bracket is exactly why it's not doing anything useful lol.

Do you do slow bleeds? You should also do short ones and fast pumping and etc. It's annoying for sure...

It's also easier if you Have clear tubing, did you use that to bleed the brakes?

|

#

!
Quote:
Start there, if you still cant figure it out, you are not going to.
How
to act on this forum...
Mr.Fodo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in