Manual rack compared to a looped P/S rack? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2014, 05:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
LTB
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 10 LTB is learning the way of the DLTB is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default Manual rack compared to a looped P/S rack?

I have a 94 Delsol, and it has a Power Steering Rack and it is leaking a lot of oil. I Looped the lines a few years ago and didn't like it very much, mainly because every bump I hit it would jerk the wheel around. So I went back to the power set up. I was wondering if the true manual racks were like that? Any insight from people that drove both set ups would be appreciated. Thanks.

FVSCC.COM

CWSCC.COM

BEYONDREDLINE.COM
---------------------------------------
LTB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2014, 06:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Mine was leaking as well. I de-powered the rack, used grease on the pinion and put it all back together. Works great so far.

I used this write up

EK steering rack de-power + Integra Pinion - Honda-Tech
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2014, 06:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 grayzee is almost a somebodygrayzee is almost a somebodygrayzee is almost a somebodygrayzee is almost a somebody

A true manual rack should be lighter to steer than a disabled power rack.
grayzee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 09:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

The depowered rack only "jerked" around because there was no pressure in the system anymore. The rack guide was probably way out of adjustment too.

Manual racks will do the same thing if the guide isn't adjusted but they are way tighter and much easier to steer.

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
HondaDNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2014, 11:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

This is true.. Any rut in the road will want the car to wander off, so you need to be attentive when driving.

True manual racks have less turns lock to lock then powered racks. If you want more steering response then a true manual swap should be done. But for simple DD, a de-powered rack has been fine for me.

Old 11-16-2014, 03:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque

Rep Power: 21 Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!
Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 13 reviews

is difficult to switch it but I prefer a manual rack. a looped rack will get some slop from my experiences

ak riding shotgun literally

autox/ touge ej1
Built 12.5 d., ac, pic selects, itr sway, wide wheels, more bracing than a dentist office lol

09 Chevy 3500hd crew cab long bed 4x4 just because I felt like it
Tibby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2014, 04:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 0 p-m-b,95dxcoupe is worse than Satan's assholep-m-b,95dxcoupe is worse than Satan's assholep-m-b,95dxcoupe is worse than Satan's assholep-m-b,95dxcoupe is worse than Satan's assholep-m-b,95dxcoupe is worse than Satan's asshole
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Integra rack vs DX civic..

The only time I prefered the power rack is when I'm trying to do a k turn or something. Road feel wise, my manual rack with bad tie rod ends and needing an alignment feels much better than a rebuilt teg rack. It just feels more direct
p-m-b,95dxcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2014, 04:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I drive both and the manual rack is so much nicer because of the turn ratio. Both my power steering racks feel real nice though... Manual rack hard while drinking coffee in a parking lot, but sooo sweet during spirited driving.
supateg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2014, 04:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

gearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-m-b,95dxcoupe View Post
Integra rack vs DX civic..

The only time I prefered the power rack is when I'm trying to do a k turn or something. Road feel wise, my manual rack with bad tie rod ends and needing an alignment feels much better than a rebuilt teg rack. It just feels more direct
Only applies to Eg's, if you want to do this in an Ek you will need to swap the subframe.

Also you can get a shorter LTL without a manual rack.

Steering Ratio
06 CGP TSX - 6 speed DD

Last edited by gearhead98; 11-16-2014 at 05:01 PM.
gearhead98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2014, 04:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
LTB
D-Series cadet

Well I do enjoy the P/S for auto-X, So I'll Probably just look into swapping an Integra rack in for the shorter lock to lock. Is that a direct bolt in to the delsol?

FVSCC.COM

CWSCC.COM

BEYONDREDLINE.COM
Old 11-17-2014, 10:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Quote:
Originally Posted by supateg View Post
I drive both and the manual rack is so much nicer because of the turn ratio. Both my power steering racks feel real nice though... Manual rack hard while drinking coffee in a parking lot, but sooo sweet during spirited driving.
I cant even drink coffee in my civic with manual rack, B20 torque and useless cup holders.

Coffee is subject to highway use only!

Old 11-17-2014, 10:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esotericimage View Post
cup holders.
what are those?

(not my pic)

koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2014, 10:36 AM   #13 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

For the rest of the useless 96-00 users. Hit the clutch with a touch too much throttle and your drinks are on the floor! Ask me how I know.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:31 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 grayzee is almost a somebodygrayzee is almost a somebodygrayzee is almost a somebodygrayzee is almost a somebody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esotericimage View Post

For the rest of the useless 96-00 users. Hit the clutch with a touch too much throttle and your drinks are on the floor! Ask me how I know.
I have a stock auto DD like that and it's happened to me too.
grayzee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2014, 11:41 AM   #15 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Depowered racks can feel good, but you have to weld the spool in place like this:

Not sure why people are not doing this with Hondas.
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2014, 05:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
LTB
D-Series cadet

It just acts as a bushing then?

FVSCC.COM

CWSCC.COM

BEYONDREDLINE.COM
Old 11-17-2014, 06:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTB View Post
Well I do enjoy the P/S for auto-X, So I'll Probably just look into swapping an Integra rack in for the shorter lock to lock. Is that a direct bolt in to the delsol?
a del sol vtec or 96/97 del sol si rack has the same ratios
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2014, 03:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
LTB
D-Series cadet

My 94 Delsol si has the 3.6 lock to lock, it seems. The integra rack was 3.2 I read. So if I'm gonna replace it anyway, might as get the integra one. Does anyone know if the lines match up or if any changes need to be made?

FVSCC.COM

CWSCC.COM

BEYONDREDLINE.COM
Old 11-18-2014, 03:17 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

gearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcano

There is always the quiafe.
06 CGP TSX - 6 speed DD
gearhead98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2014, 04:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTB View Post
My 94 Delsol si has the 3.6 lock to lock, it seems. The integra rack was 3.2 I read. So if I'm gonna replace it anyway, might as get the integra one. Does anyone know if the lines match up or if any changes need to be made?
Seriously. . All that time work and money for .4 ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in