Which should I invest in? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2014, 09:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Which should I invest in?

So I want to upgrade the suspension more and get better handling around corners but idk which I should spend my money on what do you guys think? H-brace, lca, strut tower bars, sway bars? What would I really feel a difference with?
BoogalooShr1mp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2014, 09:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 32 Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

What have you done already? What condition are your bushings/tie rods/ball joints/bearings/shocks in? Are we to presume this is for a 1996-00 sedan as in your avi pic? Do you know we actively use the noob forum on this site?

Tech threads are for tech....this is not tech

And of the items you list, imo, h-brace and strut tower bars, anything to reinforce the body so it resists torsional stress, would be a good idea. Sway bar opinions vary like other opinions (err'body has one, they're full of shit), you'll have to experiment. I have never understood the purpose of lca's, I get that if you need to replace bushings, it's easier to just rnr the whole arm with bushings pre-installed and they look cool. With oem arms, you would have the same dimensions and specs with less "bling" to attract thieves....because we all know cars never get stolen in Sac, right? lol....I would just put some hardened rubber bushings in the stock arms, or, more to the point, I will be putting hardened rubber in my stock arms, you can do whatever you like with your car and your money lol

Function > Form

RTFM!!!

Last edited by Cali Noob; 10-27-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Cali Noob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2014, 09:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

They're all in good condition they we were all replaced about a year ago. My shocks are old af lol like 2006 but still work pretty good. Was thinking about truhart lowering shocks if I do replace them. And my bad 💁 you can move the post if you want. Pretty new to car forums lol

Old 10-27-2014, 09:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 32 Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

All good, I always try and be polite (at first), if you go to other sites like HT and try to find useful information, you will find that because nobody really monitors content, that they just have all kinds of bullshit all over the place and no real order. We do what we can to keep things organized and use-able here....at the end of the day, it's really up to the mods to move a thread or leave it where it is. I'm not a mod.

Anyways, the only suspension mod I've done so far on my car was I ponied up for some Koni yellows and Ground Control sleeves/springs (in Shingle Springs, only a few miles from you), all bushings/blah blah blah were good, car handles excellent. If everything is in order and you want a mod that will make a night and day difference, that is where you start

** Also, wheels make a major difference too, in terms of unsprung weight and rotating mass. Makes a big difference in how the car feels across the board, goes better, turns better, stops better. Their are lots of wheels out there for under $200 and under 12lbs, pick wisely....grippy tires will make the single biggest difference, but the grippier they are, the faster they are likely to wear, so, again, pick wisely lest you want to buy new tires every other oil change lol

Function > Form

RTFM!!!

Last edited by Cali Noob; 10-27-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
They call me Awesome!

Rep Power: 38 awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

Tires

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Have you checked
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
today?

Don't get your feelings hurt over some idiot's personal opinion, especially MINE!!!
awebb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2014, 12:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Noob View Post
All good, I always try and be polite (at first), if you go to other sites like HT and try to find useful information, you will find that because nobody really monitors content, that they just have all kinds of bullshit all over the place and no real order. We do what we can to keep things organized and use-able here....at the end of the day, it's really up to the mods to move a thread or leave it where it is. I'm not a mod.
As I try to monitor the BS on HT and close/delete/etc, Other mods like to coddle the noobs. So doesnt do much for repeat threads every other week.

So I dont threadjack, OP read this and save your cash for when you can do what you want to do.

https://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-f...car-101-a.html
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2014, 02:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

All that you listed doesnt do anything for turns.

The marriage between the sway bars and coilovers \ springs is what you need to focus on.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esotericimage View Post
All that you listed doesnt do anything for turns.

The marriage between the sway bars and coilovers \ springs is what you need to focus on.
I dunno about "not doing anything". The H-brace functions like a lower subframe brace (at least I would guess so from it's placement). Anything that stiffens the chassis will help or at least make the car more predictable in turns. I added an integra lower subframe brace to my sedan and it made a world of difference (it was a small world ... but still). LCAs can help as well if by doing nothing else other than refreshing your bushings, less suspension deflection is always good. If your LCA bushings are fine ... you can easily put these way at the bottom of your list, unless you need them for the sway bar mounting points. A proper strut tower bar I can't really speak to as far as the difference it makes, my car came with them and I've never removed them. But as stated before bracing the chassis isn't a bad thing ... granted unless you are doing some pretty serious cornering the civic has a decent chassis that doesn't flex much (so these can go low on the list too).

Sway bars can and do make a world (a large one this time) of difference. Adding an LS rear sway bar chaged my handling dramatically, as did removing the front one (which I promptly put back on ... too much oversteer).

Find a spring rate that agrees with your kidneys. Then use sway bars to fine tune your cornering (bigger in the rear = more oversteer, bigger in front = more understeer). Try to make it as neutral/tail happy/pushy as suits your driving style.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2014, 02:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

I assumed op has oem suspension. Hence why I listed his parts as useless.

Personally I went with a 24mm front and back and corner balanced the coilovers. Ive pushed this car to the limits on the streets and it still sticks. Scares alot of passengers too!! Of course track conditions will vary.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esotericimage View Post
I assumed op has oem suspension. Hence why I listed his parts as useless.

Personally I went with a 24mm front and back and corner balanced the coilovers. Ive pushed this car to the limits on the streets and it still sticks. Scares alot of passengers too!! Of course track conditions will vary.
Ah! Comment makes far more sense coming from that angle. You're definitely right, you'll tax the OEM suspension far beyond it's capabilities before you get to a point where those components will make a noticeable difference (other than maybe the sway bars).

A good set of coilovers and refresh of any tired bushings will be the best bang for your buck for suspension. I've got some kidney buster coilovers with OEM LX (22mm or 24mm can't remember) front sway and an LS (14mm) rear. It oversteers, but in a controllable manner.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
Old 10-27-2014, 03:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

I have to say, for my car, doing a good set of coilovers made a huge difference by itself, no sway bars, was originally rolling on 13" steel with economy tires and no body stiffening, I could tell right away it was significantly better when turning and braking. It's a good starting point....

Function > Form

RTFM!!!
Old 10-27-2014, 09:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Ontop of my skunk2 with gr2 shocks I have extended top hats which helps soooo much with the shock travel. I pushed my car a bit today on one of my on ramps that makes a nice big U-turn and I got it up to 65 on the ramp body roll wasn't too bad but could be improved and my tires was screeching a bit so maybe slightly better grip tires and ctr or itr sway bars?
Old 10-28-2014, 05:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
They call me Awesome!

Rep Power: 38 awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by awebb View Post
tires
this guy right here!!!

Have you checked
today?

Don't get your feelings hurt over some idiot's personal opinion, especially MINE!!!
awebb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2014, 07:11 AM   #14 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

^^

Old 10-28-2014, 08:02 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

gearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogalooShr1mp View Post
Ontop of my skunk2 with gr2 shocks I have extended top hats which helps soooo much with the shock travel. I pushed my car a bit today on one of my on ramps that makes a nice big U-turn and I got it up to 65 on the ramp body roll wasn't too bad but could be improved and my tires was screeching a bit so maybe slightly better grip tires and ctr or itr sway bars?
If you plan on doing the rear, either learn to weld so you can reweld the subrframe when it rips in the rear or get a subframe brace.
06 CGP TSX - 6 speed DD
gearhead98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2014, 08:08 AM   #16 (permalink)

Honestly I was thinking about running the ITR rear sway, but depending on your setup you may not need something that big. The 14mm LS rear sway was fine on my Tein Basics and is almost more than I need on my PICs. What spring rates are you running right now? Do you have any plans other than spirited driving? Do you have any desire to upgrade the spring/shocks or move to a full coilover set up?

Also ... tires. Tires are like horsepower for handling.

What size wheels/tires are you running?

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
Old 10-28-2014, 05:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!

You also need more experience with the car specially closer to it's limit...

My best advice:

Upgrade the driver! Then tires...

Put it this way... you might try to make changes now but you might have not even felt the car really "ask for more"... so you could be trying to fix something that is not even there. Get some decent UHP tires..

Cheapest decent tires I've found are Z101, No where near the top at all! But stickier than any random "Azeni" (most people don't even buy the correct performance Azeni). Those are also summer tires, so you have to find out what's best for you (lucky I get to run summer tires year-round).

Then take your butt on some PDXs or Autox's...

Trust me. I bought some bad-ass stiff-ass spring and dampers only to still find understeer mid-corner with the stock rear sway bar. Haven't driven my car in months so idk how the JDM type R sway bar feels yet...

|

#

!
Quote:
Start there, if you still cant figure it out, you are not going to.
How
to act on this forum...
Mr.Fodo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2014, 11:55 PM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

Yea I would like to do autox sometime so I can really have more room to push it. For now I normally just run back and forth on the back roads in the wine country lots of turns and dips. I'm only running on stock 15in si wheels so tired arnt very wide... Maybe wheel spacers? That would help a bit in handling right? And my spring rates are 8k front 10k rear

Last edited by BoogalooShr1mp; 10-29-2014 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:48 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 yabloko smells like Boratyabloko smells like Boratyabloko smells like Boratyabloko smells like Boratyabloko smells like Boratyabloko smells like Borat

H-brace - crap
lca - shit
strut tower bars - kinda crap, you could but not for improving cornering

sway bars - yes

urethane bushings - yes

oh wait forget it do invest in

Quote:
Tires
even on a crappy suspension good tires will give you the most significant laptime improvements

PS
Quote:
and it made a world of difference
I could bet that if I'll remove it some day and you'll go to the track there is no wai you could say if it is still there or not other way than popping the hood and look =\
srsly
yabloko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2014, 04:31 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!

Width is great, but its really more about the compound.

A better tire will kick the ass of a good wider tire.

I run 12K AMRs in the rear, the damper is really stiff even Biggies 10K AMRs in the rear flexs his tire sidewall before the suspension bounces lol.

A suspension can kinda makeup for bad tires... But put some actual heat on them and you can hear the tire laugh at you faster than you can say grip.... So you're not actually able to use your suspension to the fullest because your tires give before the car asks for more.

Wheel spacers won't give you more grip. Not worth it.

|

#

!
Quote:
Start there, if you still cant figure it out, you are not going to.
How
to act on this forum...

Last edited by Mr.Fodo; 10-29-2014 at 04:35 AM.
Mr.Fodo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in