popping and squeaking - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2014, 04:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic
Default popping and squeaking

I've been trying to figure this one out, but it's eluding me. my GFs CRV's front wheel makes a popping noise when cutting the wheel or going over bumps, and you can reproduce it slightly by pushing down on the corner of the car.

now, my first instinct is balljoints, balljoints, balljoints, but I've checked the upper and lower and tie rod end and there's no play in the upper/lower and the tie rod is nice and smooth - what else could this be?
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2014, 05:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

gearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcano

Axles perhaps?
06 CGP TSX - 6 speed DD
gearhead98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2014, 05:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....

no clicking, isn't an axle also accompanied by clicking?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
B-series Destroyer

Rep Power: 22 rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!
rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

sway bar links
You link all the grounds, then wire each solenoid into the spark plug wires, that way they hit sequentially as the engine fires. This creates what I like to call asphalt shattering VTEC.
rico58204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2014, 05:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico58204 View Post
sway bar links
any way to check those without tearing the whole thing apart?

(side note, worth replacing until they've totally failed? I don't fuck around with balljoints, but other stuff?
Old 10-22-2014, 05:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
B-series Destroyer

Rep Power: 22 rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!
rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Turn wheel, stick in pry bar and see if you have "any" movement.
You link all the grounds, then wire each solenoid into the spark plug wires, that way they hit sequentially as the engine fires. This creates what I like to call asphalt shattering VTEC.
rico58204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

dry balljoint....you'll know when it has had enough....

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2014, 06:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
dry balljoint....you'll know when it has had enough....
dry but with no play at all and intact boots?
Old 10-22-2014, 06:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

gearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcano

Is it a serviceable or OE style balljoint? Might have never been greased.
06 CGP TSX - 6 speed DD
Old 10-22-2014, 06:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead98 View Post
Is it a serviceable or OE style balljoint? Might have never been greased.
upper is definitely a replacement, blue boot was a dead giveaway. the lower looks OE style.

I didn't see a zerk on the blue one though
Old 10-22-2014, 06:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebox_civic View Post
upper is definitely a replacement, blue boot was a dead giveaway. the lower looks OE style.

I didn't see a zerk on the blue one though
Double check for the hole, have seen before where the fitting wasn't installed.
06 CGP TSX - 6 speed DD
Old 10-22-2014, 07:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebox_civic View Post
dry but with no play at all and intact boots?
Yep....and when it binds, breaking the balljoint, usually while backing up....but not always

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

yes, I know what happens when a balljoint fails, hence my concern
Old 10-22-2014, 11:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Does Honda use metal or poly ball joints? Something I just learned about. The poly are self lubing so very little is any grease to leak. The creaking sound you hear is when the poly has worn through and you know have metal to metal contact.

Quote:
Old 10-23-2014, 06:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 0 p-m-b,95dxcoupe is worse than Satan's assholep-m-b,95dxcoupe is worse than Satan's assholep-m-b,95dxcoupe is worse than Satan's assholep-m-b,95dxcoupe is worse than Satan's assholep-m-b,95dxcoupe is worse than Satan's asshole
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I just cut a ball joint open to check. There's plenty of grease in there. I cant cut it in half to make a fancy picture like transzex posted right now tho. If I remember I will on Saturday when I sand blast my suspension
p-m-b,95dxcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2014, 08:55 PM   #16 (permalink)

strut mounts?
9threEJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2014, 07:30 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 yabloko smells like Boratyabloko smells like Boratyabloko smells like Boratyabloko smells like Boratyabloko smells like Boratyabloko smells like Borat

lower BJ looks like this and I dont think there is a chance for pin with a ball to exit bj case
if it stuck or grinds hardly, it could brake, but I've seen few cars riding thousands of miles with lower bj axial play about 5-7mm:

see pics if you're intrested

???? ????? ???????? ????? ?????????, ?????????.
yabloko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2015, 05:57 PM   #18 (permalink)

I finally replaced it, looks like despite the intact boot, and presence of some grease, the grease had somehow been contaminated and was really thin and black with suspended metal particles. the chrome plating on the ball had been worn through, I suspect the stiction of the rougher worn ball was causing the popping issues
Old 01-24-2015, 03:07 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 wvince will become famous soon enoughwvince will become famous soon enoughwvince will become famous soon enough

Did you solve the problem? I have a similar issue with my wife's CR-V. I've replaced all ball joints. I think it's in the steering rack. This thing has 392,000km on it and has done it since about 40,000km. Hasn't fallen off yet.

wvince is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2015, 04:58 PM   #20 (permalink)

it came back shortly after, new suspect is sway bay links or possibly compliance bushing.

neither of which I'm replacing because those wont cause the wheel to fall off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in