squeaky sound turning steering wheel to the left ? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2014, 11:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default squeaky sound turning steering wheel to the left ?

my car is a 90 crx si with 250,000 miles on the chassis,

recently it makes a squeaky noise as i am turning the steering wheel towards the left, usually when going slower speeds, such as manoevering around a parking lot and stuff like that, it sounds like its coming from somewhere around the shock/spring assembly & upper control arm area in the wheel well, above the tire,

my friend who is a mechanic was looking at it as i turned the wheel and i did too, and it all looks good ?, and i tried to spray some silicone lube around the area but did'nt get rid of the noise?,

what do you think could cause a squeaky noise like that when turning the wheel to the left ???, bushings ?, damaged spring ? etc . . .

the shocks and springs were installed in 2003, they are kyb-gr2 and H&R softsport OE springs (.75" drop), so they have been used 11 years and probably time to replace with new ones, cause i notice the ride is'nt as good, and the springs look like they got lower over time, from being used, cause now it looks more like the car is dropped 1.5" -2" instead, which i hate, cause it hits stuff more easily going over dips and bumps, and harder getting out of car or harder to bend over doing stuff in the car, etc . . .,

could it be something to do with how the drivers side front takes more use than the others since the weight of the driver is always there and therefore taking more of the brunt than the rest of the corners of the car ?, would'nt that make stuff go bad quicker on that corner of the suspension ? causing squeaking ? or maybe something else ?
your opinions would be appreciated, thanks
jon90ZC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2014, 09:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

I have the same problem and I'm slammed on gr2 and skunk2 coilovers. I was thinking coilbind? Or perhaps the left side is a bit higher so the spring moves around more?
BoogalooShr1mp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2014, 09:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Could be worn out ball joints, bad bushings, worn out tie rod (inner or outer). Could be a bad rack. Could be a lot of things.

Jack the car up and start shaking things looking for parts with play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 03:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 98givicex is learning the way of the D98givicex is learning the way of the D

I had this problem on my old lx and it ended up being the brakes
1998 Honda Civic ex coupe(Workhorse/beater)
98givicex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2014, 09:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Shake down is the win. Helps to have a hand. Jack the car up, grab the wheel and shake it side to side and up and down. Side to side play indicates tie rod issues (this is where it helps to have an extra set of eyes, have someone pull down on the inner and outer tie rod separately and see if the play lessens) and/or ball joint issues in MacPherson style suspensions. Up and down play indicates bearing issues and/or ball join issues (once again, have an extra set of eyes to watch for play in the ball joints). When checking for ball joint issues, it also helps to take a pry bar and wedge it to where the pivot point is slightly outside of the inside edge of the tire, apply so downward force and feel for play/have someone watch the ball joints for movement. Inspect for torn bushings, grease leaking, etc. Is the noise coming from inside the wheel well or more under the hood?
PaddyWhacked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2014, 08:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ferio inspired

Rep Power: 31 NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....
NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

do you have poly or an adj anchor bolt camber kit? on my 4dr i have the adj anchor and the poly bushing in them gets a little noisy when water gets in there.

you can see if it's moving by having someone turn the wheel and see if your bushing is moving.
90 Civic EX 4dr- turbo D15b (sold)
98 Civic EX 4dr- USDM (99 front) (sold)
92 Accord EX 4dr- ricermobile(sold)
NastyHabitzCRX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
shock, sound, springs, squeak, suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in