Dragging brake - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2014, 05:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 10 v4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default Dragging brake

Since I have had my crx i have done a lot of work over time to refurbish it. It sat for about 5 years before i got it.

The brakes at the time were rusted, so just to get it running i replaced pads and rotors. a year later the front right rotor was nearly black colored and warped. I had the rotors replaced under warranty, and rebuilt the calipers. 18 months later the warping was back along with a lot less discoloration. I bought new rotors and new ceramic pads, also replaced the front brake hoses with new aftermarket rubber ones. I also regreased the pins the calipers slide on.

I have noticed more dusting on the front right corner which makes me suspect the pads are still dragging slightly more than they should.

Other things I have done that may make a difference....i replaced both front wheel bearings at some point, did a rear disc conversion and replaced the master cylinder and prop valve (the warping occurred before and after all this). During the rebuild I painted the calipers as well.

The only brake part that has not been touched is the hardlines under the hood.

What else could be a cause? I am a bit baffled, everything did need to be replaced due to age and wear but either something else is left I missed or is it possible a wheel bearing issue on that side?
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2014, 03:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

gearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Its possible that caliper is still having a problem. I went through 2 "rebuilt" calipers on a car before I got one that would no longer seize.

Now this could also possibly be attributed to a blockage in the line that was flushed out when the 3rd caliper was installed but I doubt this highly.
06 CGP TSX - 6 speed DD

Last edited by gearhead98; 10-07-2014 at 06:16 PM.
gearhead98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2014, 05:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 98givicex is learning the way of the D98givicex is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Sounds like something is still wrong with one of the calipers. Have you tried buying new/re manufactured calipers?
1998 Honda Civic ex coupe(Workhorse/beater)
98givicex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 07:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 10 v4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to all

The parts that were not replaced when i rebuilt the calipers were the guide pin boots and the piston itself. Thinking about it when i removed the caliper on the passenger side to replace the pads, hoses and discs last week it was difficult to push the piston back in (with no hose or pressure on it) compared to the driver side. Possibly a piston that is out of spec after 290k miles and 26 years? Either way it was nearly $30 for a new piston, so i went ahead and ordered a reman caliper from Rockauto hopefully this will make me happy, i know it won't cause an immediate problem but i hate re-doing brakes every 12-15 months for something this simple.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 0 p-m-b,95dxcoupe is worse than Satan's assholep-m-b,95dxcoupe is worse than Satan's assholep-m-b,95dxcoupe is worse than Satan's assholep-m-b,95dxcoupe is worse than Satan's assholep-m-b,95dxcoupe is worse than Satan's asshole
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I was gonna say, did you inspect the caliper's bore and piston for damage? Things are fun to rebuild, calipers, axles, etc
p-m-b,95dxcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2014, 09:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

When i rebuilt them there was not any visible scoring or anything that would lead me to suspect a problem, however that was also over a year ago, and the first time in over 10 years that i had rebuilt any brake system parts. I could easily have overlooked slight wear that didn't just jump out at me. It could even be something as stupid as the seal inside the bore being slightly messed up from my re-assembly. I can say there was a lot of crud inside the caliper when i tore them down, reddish black and built up. If I did not drive the car almost every day I would go ahead and tear it apart now to see...but the $28 for a reman caliper is cheap enough i al just going to swap it and take the old one apart when i have more time.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

So Fedex picked up the caliper from Sugarland, TX (on the SW side of houston) and should have been able to ship to Conore, TX (just north of houston) in one day. Only problem is it got sent to Dallas and then to Maryland. Contacted Roackauto and Fedex. Rockauto said it will get there tomorrow, its still in Texas, and they also told me i should have done overnight shipping if I wanted a guarantee...except I just wanted reasonable shipping time since it was only 60 miles away. Fedex said they don't know if they what they are doing. BTW the order was placed Wednesday and was supposed to be delivered yesterday.

Anyway, now tracking says in Maryland for delivery in Conroe next Wednesday. SO I call Fedex and request to reject the shipment and have it returned and I email Rockauto to let them know its going back to them and they owe me a refund of the part AND shipping. Last time I ordered from them their catalog was wrong and they sent a part that would not even fit a Honda....

lets just say I am going to stick with Advance Auto Parts from now on. Rockauto blew me off and thats it for them.

on a side note i took apart the caliper today and found some rough/rusty patches just below the line that shows where the seal sat. lightly sanded the piston and caliper bore and re-assembled...we shall see!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in