full coilover rebuild? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2014, 12:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Default full coilover rebuild?

ok so to start out i own a 99 civic ex sedan, the coilovers are function and form type 2 with 60k+ miles, spring rates are 12kg front and 8kg rear. i emailed function and form about figuring out if my coilovers are blown out and they said that 1. an obvious oil leak from the strut should appear if not then 2. i would hear a clunk in the suspenion or 3. remove suspension and shake it if it rattles its no good

so number 1 i dont see any oil leaks from any of the struts, number 2 i have noticed some noise from at least one coilover but it sounds like a bound up spring popping loose kind of like a boing, i havent noticed it for a while now but these were on my 96 hx when i first noticed it alot, now on my 99 ex i have heard it a few times. number 3 i have not done yet but they told me that with 60k miles that most likely they are blown so this leads me to my question.

i know stock length struts with coil sleeves would benefit from extended top hats but would a shorter bodied strut like a coilover benefit from extended top hats? while looking for replacement parts i found that function and form now makes extended top hats for their eg/ek/dc and s2000 coilovers so im contemplating buying a set, two top hats and 2 brand new spring cost $150.

so to rebuild my function and form type 2 im looking at
1.4x $100 a piece for the struts
2.2x$150 a set of extended tophats and new springs
so it comes out to 700 plus shipping.do i need to run these or would i be better off just rebuilding for 400$ and call it good? im sure someone will tell me to change setups but i would prefer to stay full coilover vs koni/gc style unless i find something cheaper than 700$ for good quality.

my car is dumped as low as it goes on these coilovers (yes i know dso is against slammed cars) and i like how low it is and it rides almost perfect but i think a drop from 12kg 8kg to their ff type 1 spring rates at 10kg 6kg would help a bit with the quality of the daily ride.

here is a picture of someone else swapping to the extended top hats

and a picture of my car just for reference. no i will not raise the car and i understand i must lose some ride quality to be this low.

turbo 99 ex sedan A/C build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Alicia Aemisegger

Last edited by Blu3; 10-06-2014 at 12:28 AM.
Blu3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2014, 05:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 98givicex is learning the way of the D98givicex is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

For what you're saying you want I would rebuild unless you can find a quality set of gently used coils
1998 Honda Civic ex coupe(Workhorse/beater)
98givicex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2014, 03:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

yea i'd rebuild if you love the setup and the current ride quality. or you could look into megan coilovers. not sure if they are any good though.
ek9cusco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 04:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 6 DontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Or buy new ones again and sell yours some stance kid wont care if theyre getting blown coilovers theyll just think that means they are more hellaflush.
DontGrabMeThere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2014, 10:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

No need for extended top hats if you have full body coils. Top hats are only needed when you lower the spring perch (shorting the shock rod), but with full body coils you just lower the shock body into the shock mount (keeping the shock rod length).

Just buy new shock bodies

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
HondaDNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2014, 09:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

700$ Lol i rather buy Gc koni for 800-1200.
like others said sell the FF's on CL to some stance kid (youll make 500-600 easy on CL) and with that 700 u were gonna spend on rebuilding or whatnot w/ the money u made from sellin the ff t2's get real suspension!
KiNGDEE206 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2014, 10:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Im just going to rebuild them with new shock bodies, hondadna gave me the answer I was looking for so now I dont need to waste 300$ on tophats. Besides I dont consider coilover sleeves "real suspension" for me its either drop spring with a tophat and shorter shocks or a full bodied coilover, I just dont like the idea of having a sleeve over my shocks because its an extra part that could fail.

turbo 99 ex sedan A/C build -

Alicia Aemisegger

Last edited by Blu3; 10-24-2014 at 06:18 AM.
Blu3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2014, 06:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!

If you get the correct sleeves (such as koni specific sleeve) it won't "fail" the only disadvantage is if shock is non thread (like the progressive kit) w/o running a helper spring the main spring will be loose and make noise/potentially miss-align. But KW runs in this fashion (w/ helper).

Other "full coilover" kits don't have a threaded body and have little to no advantage over the koni w/appropriate sleeve.

|

#

!
Quote:
Start there, if you still cant figure it out, you are not going to.
How
to act on this forum...
Mr.Fodo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2014, 01:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 WrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatness

A sleeve isn't going to fail. If they can hop curbs on the track like many sets do, they'll do you just fine swerving around potholes. If I were you I'd sell and upgrade to a koni/GC setup. You can make your own extended top hats out of some exhaust tubing.

My sleeves survived a winter of THIS. And that was one of the smoother courses.
Ice Race 03-23-2014 Run 4 - YouTube

Last edited by WrongWheelDrive; 10-27-2014 at 01:45 PM.
WrongWheelDrive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in