Hard vibration then smooths out? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2014, 12:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 Red-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Hard vibration then smooths out?

91 CRX dx
I have a weird vibration at interstate speeds (65+mph)
When I first get on the interstate my front end and steering wheel vibrate like hell, I just had an alignment so the wheel is straight. I don't think it's a caliper sticking as the car isn't pulling in either direction. My wheels and suspension are torqued correctly.

However after a few miles, the vibration dies down and it's fine. Speeds under 60mph are fine. Wheels were balanced before I got them.

Any ideas what would cause the vibration?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2014, 01:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 29 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

What about the ball joints and tie rod ends?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2014, 01:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 Red-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by preludepatrick View Post
What about the ball joints and tie rod ends?

Haven't had a chance to check but that's next on the list.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Ball joints and tie rods shoulda been checked before the alignment.

How are all the motor/trans mounts?
theotherchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2014, 01:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 20 the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!
the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!

If it vibrates at certain speeds the clears up it could be a alignment issue. Worn parts bad bushings etc. I know the wheel is straight but that doesn't mean anything. May need to go through and replace stuff.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 teg ( new project)
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys with d series motors under the hood.

R.I.P Pat PRIMMER! You will be missed.

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.
the hoove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2014, 02:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by neubie View Post
Ball joints and tie rods shoulda been checked before the alignment.

How are all the motor/trans mounts?

Firestone didn't tell me if the ball joints or tie rods were bad, I figured they would to try and get more money out of me.

Motor mounts are a little over a year old OEM replacements
Old 10-04-2014, 02:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by the hoove View Post
If it vibrates at certain speeds the clears up it could be a alignment issue. Worn parts bad bushings etc. I know the wheel is straight but that doesn't mean anything. May need to go through and replace stuff.

That's a good point, but what I don't understand is why the vibration goes away after a few minutes regardless of speed.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Any alignment tech that has his head out of his ass will.check the suspension out....at least the ball joints and tie rods etc...
theotherchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2014, 02:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
B-series Destroyer

Rep Power: 22 rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!
rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

If suspension was checked and good before alignment i would check the axles.
You link all the grounds, then wire each solenoid into the spark plug wires, that way they hit sequentially as the engine fires. This creates what I like to call asphalt shattering VTEC.
rico58204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2014, 03:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

gearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico58204 View Post
If suspension was checked and good before alignment i would check the axles.
He is on the right track. I have had reman axles give me weird vibration issues. Accord/Tsx have a known axle cracking issue that causes a vibration.
06 CGP TSX - 6 speed DD
gearhead98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by neubie View Post
Any alignment tech that has his head out of his ass will.check the suspension out....at least the ball joints and tie rods etc...

Yeah because they told me my tires were on the low side of their tread so they were checking the car over.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

hotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 30 reviews

Also check the rubber "disk" on the axle. Im not 100% sure what its called but you shpould know the one I mean. Make sure its there, intact, ect lol

Quote:
Take it from somebody who has actually done it more then once and not read about it on the internet......
hotrodj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2014, 10:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

I have seen cheap aftermarket axles do this. I started to notice it when cars were on the dyno and I could see the axles moving around like fucking crazy!! Then they balance out and center up....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2014, 10:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerD View Post
I have seen cheap aftermarket axles do this. I started to notice it when cars were on the dyno and I could see the axles moving around like fucking crazy!! Then they balance out and center up....

It wouldn't surprise me if it was the driver side axle, the vibration feels more so from that side, and I've had the axle since I bought the car, 2.5 years ago
Old 10-05-2014, 10:53 AM   #15 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

The best thing you can do is jack up the car, get it on some jack stands, and start shaking and pulling on shit until you find something that moves.

Start with the wheels, in and out, back and forth, up and down, side to side, etc... then check all the suspension parts. Even use a rubber hammer or pry bar to see if still moves a surprisingly large amount, or makes weird noises.
Quote:
Old 10-06-2014, 09:04 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series lover

New symptom, when I brake, I hear/feel a thump on the driver side of the car and floorboard. My vote is now the radius rod bushing.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series lover

I think I figured out my problem
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1412716495.427051.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	73938
Factory radius rod hardware
Notice the cup washer near the front
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1412716528.736203.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	745.1 KB
ID:	73946
My driver side cup washer and nut
My passenger side is flipped the other way.

Damn alignment tech messed up and 23 year old bushings didn't help
Old 10-17-2014, 02:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

Well, I'm still stumped, the cup washer got rid of the thump, but my front end vibration is still there. I rotated my wheels to see if it helped, and it didn't, my money is now on tie rods, I have play at 3 and 9 on the wheel but not 12 and 6, also my car "follows" imperfections in the road.
Any thoughts?
Old 10-18-2014, 10:24 AM   #19 (permalink)
Classic Man

How sure are you your wheels are straight/true and balanced correctly?
Quote:
Old 10-18-2014, 05:13 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerD View Post
How sure are you your wheels are straight/true and balanced correctly?

100% I had them balanced after I bought them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in