Master cylinder gone bad? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2014, 11:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 Red-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Master cylinder gone bad?

Hello DSO
I have a 91 CRX dx, I noticed at stops I had to press the pedal closer to the ground, the longer I sat, so I bled my brakes, in the order stated in the FSM, and my pedal firmness has gone to shit, I had no air coming out before I closed the bleeder. Is my master cylinder gone bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2014, 11:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Bad MC. The fluid bypasses the cup seal slowly.

The harder you press, the less it should fall down.

If you just barely press the pedal, but apply force, it will probably sink faster than pushing hard on the pedal. Very good sign the cup seals are toast in the MC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2014, 12:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 Red-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagleRed-Rocket is fly like an eagle

Fucking lovely, oh well, thanks Danz I just wanted to double check myself before buying a new master cylinder.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

If you are 100% sure about the brakes being bled right, go ahead and buy without fret.
Quote:
Old 09-21-2014, 02:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 Zer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcano
Zer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

It's a good reason to bleed the brake system. Don't forget to bench bleed the new MC

The RAYBESTOS MC39968 (MC39968:P) MC I used was a POS and leaked right away, but the CENTRIC item 13040016 (130-40016) has been great for the last year and a half. Both are the 15/16" master cylinders.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My car hates me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Zer0DazE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2014, 04:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0DazE View Post
It's a good reason to bleed the brake system. Don't forget to bench bleed the new MC

The RAYBESTOS MC39968 (MC39968:P) MC I used was a POS and leaked right away, but the CENTRIC item 13040016 (130-40016) has been great for the last year and a half. Both are the 15/16" master cylinders.

I don't think I need a 15/16" master cylinder with stock dx brakes, and to make matters worse, my driver rear hard line ruptured so I'm waiting on a tow truck
Old 09-21-2014, 07:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

dumb question, when you bench bleed it, you still have to take the fittings off and install the brake lines. don't you defeat your purpose because youre letting air back into the system? isn't it easier to just bleed it all at once?
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2014, 04:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Anybody have experience with brake best and Fenco master cylinders? They're the store brands and I can't wait 3-5 days for a different brand to ship in
Old 09-22-2014, 06:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 HB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like Borat

Bench bleeding makes it much easier!
Did this about 2 months ago, not bench bleeding will give you a lot more air to work out of the whole brake system when bleeding.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

I bench bled the new master, put it on and my new section of line, only problem is I spent an hour bleeding the lines and barely any air came out and brakes are still soft as hell
Old 09-22-2014, 05:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Classic Man

Quite a bit of bubbles should come out. I would go ahead and keep bleeding, making sure to follow the correct bleed sequence for your car. They do have diagonal braking systems so its not furthest from the MC to closest like most old cars.

Make sure to push the pedal down fairly slowly... not slowly, but not quick. If you push too fast/with too much force it can create bubbles in the system. Let up slow as well if you are using a 1 man bleeder kit. Otherwise air can bypass the threads on the bleeder screw and you are back to square one.
Quote:
Old 09-22-2014, 06:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

Default Master cylinder gone bad?

Ok, I'll keep that in mind tomorrow, also on the front calipers when you break the bleeder open, does just the nut turn, or the whole screw?

I tried bleeding it yesterday and I had a few small bubbles in the corner where I replaced the line, but no others corners even moved fluid or air, the level never dropped in the MC.

Last edited by Red-Rocket; 09-23-2014 at 06:36 AM.
Red-Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2014, 04:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

Thanks for the input everyone, I pulled the MC and bench bled it again... Installed it and pumped the pedal slow like Danz recommended and now the CRX can stop again. Thanks guys!
Old 09-27-2014, 08:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 Zer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcano
Zer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
dumb question, when you bench bleed it, you still have to take the fittings off and install the brake lines. don't you defeat your purpose because youre letting air back into the system? isn't it easier to just bleed it all at once?
Bench bleeding clears the air out of the master cylinder not the lines. It ensures that you are pumping fluid and not air into the brake lines.

My car hates me.

Zer0DazE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in