Upgrading Brakes - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2014, 09:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Upgrading Brakes

I have a '95 Del Sol Si that came with front and rear (non ABS)disc brakes. I'm picking up a set of complete DC(non ITR) front spindles Tuesday. Do I need to upgrade my MC/booster for this, or will new pads, rotors and fluid will be enough? The car is currently na and used as a weekend toy. May do some autocross in the future after finding out there are events a hour away.
BCarter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2014, 11:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

i think youll be fine
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2014, 02:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 spAdam smells like BoratspAdam smells like BoratspAdam smells like BoratspAdam smells like BoratspAdam smells like BoratspAdam smells like Borat

If you have a 13/16" master cylinder I would recommend changing to a 15/16" from a 90-91 Civic EX. It will be completely plug and play on your booster/lines.
spAdam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 02:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

From the information that I've seen it should be the baby13/16th one. Lol thanks for the opinion guys.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

Since the 90-91 15/16ths m/c is impossible to find used you can get one from any da Integra as long as you use the da Integra booster with it.

Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2014, 03:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisfrom1986 View Post
Since the 90-91 15/16ths m/c is impossible to find used you can get one from any da Integra as long as you use the da Integra booster with it.
Already sourced a mc locally, and just need to buy a booster. Fairly large import scene here in setx/houston area. Looks like I'll be able to get the front complete spindles, mc and booster for under $150.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Would my brakes lines still line up on a DA setup? Trying to find that information; just in case.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Yes the lines fit no problem. The only thing you have to pay attention to is using the da booster with the da m/c because they are the opposite bolt pattern from the Civic.

I'd post a pic but the photobucket app is a piece of shit. Search my posts and you'll find it.

Last edited by Chrisfrom1986; 09-08-2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Yes the lines fit no problem. The only thing you have to pay attention to is using the da booster with the da m/c because they are the opposite bolt pattern from the Civic.

I'd post a pic but the photobucket app is a piece of shit. Search my posts and you'll find it.
Yeah all b series are opposite from what I've read.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Im almost ready to sell my ITR calipers (shave and ready to use on teg spindles), 1" ITR master and booster, and new(in box) hawk HP+ pads.

Pm me if interested.

Jswap 4dr

Boost 4dr

Twin scrol

F2B
turboprelude95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2014, 02:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Most likely doing Centric Premium rotors; should I get refurbished calipers(Centric), new oem or aftermarket(Wilwood).
Old 09-10-2014, 05:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Asshole

Don't waste your money on wilwood. Do whatever you want as far as just using the calipers as is, rebuilding them yourself or buying remanufactured.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 spAdam smells like BoratspAdam smells like BoratspAdam smells like BoratspAdam smells like BoratspAdam smells like BoratspAdam smells like Borat

Quote:
FWIW,

Cardone Master Cylinder - Remanufactured 11-2517: Shop the best Brake Master Cylinder at Advance Auto Parts

Also, it's really easy to rebuild calipers. The kits are only a few bucks each from the dealer.

Some CTR rears I did recently for the coupe project:

I just got a big box of hardware back from replating that has the parking brake hardware in it, hoping to get some time this weekend to finish putting them together.

Last edited by spAdam; 09-10-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Asshole

$80 for that remanufactured m / c and it doesn't come with the proper larger reservior. I got my da m/c for $ 20 from a kid parting out his da. Just depends if you want to look for a deal or not.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

Fair enough, I'm sure you can find them for half that at rockauto or whatever, that was just the first place I thought to look. Parts stores are getting to be super inflated. I think I paid around $40 for one at Advance back in '07 or so. I'm just not a fan of putting 20+ year old used brake parts on a car, and it's a direct swap so there's no need for a booster.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:11 AM   #16 (permalink)
Asshole

Yes but then you also have to factor in the cost of a new or used reservoir which can be obtained from a Civic or Integra with abs. You wouldn't worry about replacing the 20 year old m/c in your car if you weren't upgrading the brakes, so whats the difference with a used one? Its just personal preference really.

Btw those 9clp14s look great, wish I could find some of those locally for cheap.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:46 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series lover

Thanks man. I got lucky and snapped up a whole ctr rear assembly minus the trailing arms a few years ago. Stored it away knowing I wanted to do five lug eventually. Just got the rest back from powder coat last week too:

Old 09-11-2014, 04:47 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

I appreciate all the input guys. Probably going to pick up some remans due to time restraint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in