Scarebird rear disc brake conversion EK civic - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2014, 10:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 98givicex is learning the way of the D98givicex is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Scarebird rear disc brake conversion EK civic

Hello,

I have started my rear disc brake conversion, but i decided to go a different route than most because after trying to source integra trailing arms, people either wanted way to much for them or the scrap yards were 5,000 miles away.

Today i only have the first step, which is receiving my brackets in the mail. I ordered them straight from their website here: https://scarebird.com/index.php?rout...tegory&path=67.

Here is a picture, they seem to be very sturdy and high quality they are zinc coated but i will probably use some heavy duty paint on them before install. I will update again when i start the install.

1998 Honda Civic ex coupe(Workhorse/beater)
98givicex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2014, 11:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 14 HondaSteve smells like BoratHondaSteve smells like BoratHondaSteve smells like BoratHondaSteve smells like BoratHondaSteve smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

I just got my Scarebird conversion going this week on my 00 EX. I ran into a few issues with clearances on my caliper brackets. I used re manufactured calipers from a 97 Integra and had to have the back side of the brackets shaved about 1mm so that the rotor would actually rotate. Just giving you a heads up. Also, if you are getting re manufactured calipers, you will need the mounting brackets and hardware for the parking brake and banjo bolts for the lines, as they do not come with any of that stuff. I ran into that headache and had to hit up salvage yards and order some parts from Acura.

00 ex coupe; 346whp/271wtq @21psi
HondaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2014, 11:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 25 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

From what I recall, there are 2 different trailing arms that have different clearances. Maybe you got the wrong kit?
HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 11:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 14 HondaSteve smells like BoratHondaSteve smells like BoratHondaSteve smells like BoratHondaSteve smells like BoratHondaSteve smells like Borat

You are correct sir. There are two different spindle types. They specify which brackets to use with the different spindle types. I suppose it is possible that the wrong kit was sent to me, but my kit looks exactly like the one shown in the pictures above. I'm assuming by the name that it is going on a 98 EX?

Old 07-18-2014, 02:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 98givicex is learning the way of the D98givicex is learning the way of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaSteve View Post
I just got my Scarebird conversion going this week on my 00 EX. I ran into a few issues with clearances on my caliper brackets. I used re manufactured calipers from a 97 Integra and had to have the back side of the brackets shaved about 1mm so that the rotor would actually rotate. Just giving you a heads up. Also, if you are getting re manufactured calipers, you will need the mounting brackets and hardware for the parking brake and banjo bolts for the lines, as they do not come with any of that stuff. I ran into that headache and had to hit up salvage yards and order some parts from Acura.
Thanks for the heads up! but i plan on doing the "stage 2" rear conversion from the get go with the rsx caliper brackets and 02-03 civic si rotors. I and going to be getting a cut off wheel and angle grinder this weekend so i shouldnt have a problem if i need to shave anything down *fingers crossed* Also, i plan on getting the SS lines for the rear while im at it and they should come with the new banjo bolts. But what do you mean about the mounting brackets for the parking brake?
Old 07-18-2014, 02:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
You are correct sir. There are two different spindle types. They specify which brackets to use with the different spindle types. I suppose it is possible that the wrong kit was sent to me, but my kit looks exactly like the one shown in the pictures above. I'm assuming by the name that it is going on a 98 EX?
Yes, 98 ex. i believe that it is the "CIV" spindle?
Old 07-18-2014, 03:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98givicex View Post
Thanks for the heads up! but i plan on doing the "stage 2" rear conversion from the get go with the rsx caliper brackets and 02-03 civic si rotors. I and going to be getting a cut off wheel and angle grinder this weekend so i shouldnt have a problem if i need to shave anything down *fingers crossed* Also, i plan on getting the SS lines for the rear while im at it and they should come with the new banjo bolts. But what do you mean about the mounting brackets for the parking brake?
There is a bracket on the caliper that fixes the parking brake cable in place. It is held onto the caliper by 2 bolts and has one retention clip for the cable. The part number is: 43247-SH3-931 and 43267-SH3-931 (#27 and #37 in the attached pic) Some remans come with them and some don't. I had to order mine from Acura since I couldn't find any locally.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13st701_b1910.jpg
Views:	3130
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	69377  

Old 07-19-2014, 06:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSteelBreeze View Post
Arrr Matey!! Here be a thread-jackin', shameless plug!

I have a set of brackets for sale.. I misread their ebay listing once.. realized they don't make a bracket for EGs.. https://www.d-series.org/forums/sale/...-aem-more.html
i cant see that because i dont have enough posts to look at the classifieds yet. i sent you a PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
There is a bracket on the caliper that fixes the parking brake cable in place. It is held onto the caliper by 2 bolts and has one retention clip for the cable. The part number is: 43247-SH3-931 and 43267-SH3-931 (#27 and #37 in the attached pic) Some remans come with them and some don't. I had to order mine from Acura since I couldn't find any locally.
awesome, thanks ill make sure i try to get some remans with thsoe included.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 25 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSteelBreeze View Post
realized they don't make a bracket for EGs..
Unless something changed, they do make them. The problem is EG's use both "CIV" and "HON" style trailing arms depending on the year & model. The "CIV" scalloped spindle used on most EK's would be the first I'd see disappearing, since it needs welding while the "HON" style doesn't. From what I can see in your picture, yours is for most EF & some EG models ("HON" style).

https://scarebird.com/index.php?rout...product_id=116

Look at the last picture, "HON" style with the unwelded plate style:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Civic-...-/371035196207

Last edited by HiProfile; 07-20-2014 at 05:24 AM.
HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2014, 05:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Update, i ended up finding some junkyard integra calipers, but i ended up just getting the whole trailing arm instead to make sure i got everything. Total for both with calipers was only 80 bucks(still saved money over buying remans).

Old 07-25-2014, 06:17 AM   #12 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 20 the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!
the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!

Make sure to change your bushings on those arms. But good find!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 teg ( new project)
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys with d series motors under the hood.

R.I.P Pat PRIMMER! You will be missed.

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.
the hoove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 11:07 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 TheSteelBreeze is a name known to allTheSteelBreeze is a name known to allTheSteelBreeze is a name known to allTheSteelBreeze is a name known to allTheSteelBreeze is a name known to allTheSteelBreeze is a name known to allTheSteelBreeze is a name known to allTheSteelBreeze is a name known to allTheSteelBreeze is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiProfile View Post
Unless something changed, they do make them. The problem is EG's use both "CIV" and "HON" style trailing arms depending on the year & model. The "CIV" scalloped spindle used on most EK's would be the first I'd see disappearing, since it needs welding while the "HON" style doesn't. From what I can see in your picture, yours is for most EF & some EG models ("HON" style).

https://scarebird.com/index.php?rout...product_id=116

Look at the last picture, "HON" style with the unwelded plate style:
Honda Civic CRX SI Del Sol Integra Rear Disc Brake Conversion Brackets | eBay
I tried both of their brackets that they made at the time and neither of them were anywhere close to fitting.. really threw me for a loop because I thought for sure that they made them for my car.. I spent hours with these brackets, researching.. talking to them on the phone.. everything.. the conclusion was that they definitely did not fit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TheSteelBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 05:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series lover

Damn that sucks, I was looking into trying them out too.
shrimp-poboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2014, 10:37 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by the hoove View Post
Make sure to change your bushings on those arms. But good find!
if i use em, i will. for now i plan on using the scarebird brackets and just taking the integra calipers off of the arms. my girl wants a civic now too so maybe ill use the arms on her car when she gets it lol
Old 07-26-2014, 11:01 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 brundell88 is starting to learn the ropesbrundell88 is starting to learn the ropesbrundell88 is starting to learn the ropesbrundell88 is starting to learn the ropesbrundell88 is starting to learn the ropesbrundell88 is starting to learn the ropes

Im happy your posting this up. I was just searching all over earlier for info on using this kit paired with 02-03 si rear rotors.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:19 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by brundell88 View Post
Im happy your posting this up. I was just searching all over earlier for info on using this kit paired with 02-03 si rear rotors.
as soon as tirerack gets on the ball and finally gets me my 02-03 si rear rotors im gonna do a write up on the install lol. but the ones i ordered were on backorder so it might be another week before i get em. if you have any questions when you do your just let me know.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

I used the same brackets and now my calipers rattle like crazy. I bought another set of rear calipers and that didn't work. I do have all anti rattle clips in for the pads and the slide bolts are torqued down. The calipers rattle and the caliper bracket is solid and doe not move. I have no clue why?
(Car is a 00 dx hatch )
'00DX_Hatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2014, 03:08 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by '00DX_Hatch View Post
I used the same brackets and now my calipers rattle like crazy. I bought another set of rear calipers and that didn't work. I do have all anti rattle clips in for the pads and the slide bolts are torqued down. The calipers rattle and the caliper bracket is solid and doe not move. I have no clue why?
(Car is a 00 dx hatch )
if this happens to me i will let you know so that way you know it's not just you lol.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:42 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 cat4lyst is learning the way of the Dcat4lyst is learning the way of the D

while I just went with integra rear caliper and rotors (9.4"), have had the scarebird plates on my 99 civic with no trouble for about 1.5 years now. there was some shaving the caliper to get the bracket the perfect fit, it was minor stuff however. Install was pretty smooth. I have not noticed any rattling so far. I did not do the junkyard thing, it was all re-manufactured or new stuff, for some piece of mind. just wanted to chime in! interested to hear how your ep2 rotors work out.
cat4lyst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in