Suspension feels unstable under high boost - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2014, 05:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 alextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default Suspension feels unstable under high boost

I admit, when it comes to suspension I'm a n00blet . The issue I'm having is that when I'm under hard acceleration/high boost the steering wheel basically feels like it is doing nothing the front end of the car is lifting/rear squatting so much. Once it gets up in the triple digit MPH it feels very squirrely and slightly scary.

My suspension is completely stock right now...I know I need to upgrade, but being on a budget, where is the best bang for my buck to get things under control? Shock/springs? Poly bushings? Bracing? Traction bar? It's a 97 coupe. Etc. I'm open to all suggestions. The car is built for drag, but I wouldn't mind doing some road course stuff once in a while.
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2014, 05:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Replace all bushings with HardRace or OEM and keep the RTA bushing OEM.

And keep the fucking on road speeds down and giving us other Honda owners a bad name

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 Toyota Matrix XR (1ZZFE 6spd)
2005 Pontiac Vibe GT (2ZZGE 6spd)
1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You will be missed but not forgotten.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2014, 06:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 alextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropes

Who said these were on road? And not on a closed course/drag strip?

Old 07-07-2014, 07:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

I bet your 1/4 trap speeds are under 100mph if your sig is correct.

But none the less, did you want help with your setup or just argue about your illegal driving habits. I got all day either way.

1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

Old 07-07-2014, 07:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Me too. I would like to defend myself against your accusations. There are other closed courses besides the drag strip. Being that I have never said anything about the location that I achieved these speeds, you are merely assuming that I do not have access to any other closed courses besides a drag strip, despite the fact that many exist. So please show me where I either said that I was driving illegally, or present your proof.

Otherwise, please don't make accusations and assumptions about someone that you don't know. Someone who may have access to a test track. Or brought their car to a road course. I live in Detroit, and I'm an engineer. Closed courses are plentiful. And so is my access to them.

I am all for help with my suspension, which is why I asked. But I'm not okay with blind and false accusations and being told to "keep my fucking on road speeds down" and told I'm giving other Honda owners a bad name.

Last edited by alextrebek; 07-07-2014 at 07:20 AM.
alextrebek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2014, 07:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
MuthaFuckaUppa

Rep Power: 17 CripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcano
CripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

I was trapping at 102-4 with less hp. Torque is rotational acceleration.

Stock suspension with ETD traction bars. Felt fine at speed, but I had 205 Hankook tires, and my bushings were in good shape.
CripTofer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2014, 07:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Well if you didn't just start off by defending yourself like a kid then I wouldn't have kept going. You're just being overly defensive if you aren't doing anything wrong

Get those bushings replaced. Made a world of difference in my old ED with 260k on it.

Chillax bro, it's just the internet.

1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

Old 07-07-2014, 07:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 0 colelmt is worse than Satan's assholecolelmt is worse than Satan's assholecolelmt is worse than Satan's asshole
Send a message via Skype™ to colelmt

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextrebek View Post
Who said these were on road? And not on a closed course/drag strip?
Nobody, but you're also not really denying that they were...

I doubt you'll find reliability in budget suspension parts. I got the Eibach Sportline-plus kit complete with springs, pro dampers, and front and rear anti-roll bars. ~$700. Over a year and couldn't be happier. *1 million mile warranty on the springs and the roll bars*

D16Z6

EJ255

Last edited by colelmt; 07-07-2014 at 07:38 AM.
colelmt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2014, 07:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Teh internets is real!

I checked out the HardRace website. Did you just replace the bushings? Or did you buy the whole arms with the bushings already in them? From what I've read about replacing the bushings it seems to be a PITA. Burning them out with a torch, etc. I do have access to a big press though.

Also, I figured a traction bar would be on that list of things to do. CripTofer - How do you like that ETD bar? I've heard good things. Install and fitment were good?
Old 07-07-2014, 07:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Do to my original needs I bought OEM style bushings and I did still burn some old ones out though. I would buy the hard race if I had to do it again though but I still think the RTA should be OEM.

1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

Old 07-07-2014, 07:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 0 colelmt is worse than Satan's assholecolelmt is worse than Satan's assholecolelmt is worse than Satan's asshole

I have the 26 piece HardRace Bushing set. Unfortunately I have been too lazy to put them in. I was planning on just using my press.... hopefully that works. I think better springs/struts will help a lot with the front end of the car going up and down

D16Z6

EJ255

Old 07-07-2014, 07:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerDrinkin View Post
and keep the RTA bushing OEM.
Why?

D16Z6

EJ255

Old 07-07-2014, 08:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by colelmt View Post
Why?
poly RTA bushings can/will bind up and cause unpredictable and unsafe rear suspension actions.

(i.e. RWD-like snap oversteer when you least expect it)
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2014, 08:08 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 15 CaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcano
CaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by colelmt View Post
Why?
Because the poly RTA bushings give little warning before they give, and your ass end comes swinging around like your in a mustang.

New - 5/25/12
.002 P2W
75.5mm Z6
TD04H 15G @ 22.6psi ??WHP

Quote:
?
Put a new motor in?
Dont race your car?
If you see smoke don't insert face?
If any of this confuses you die!
R.I.P - Pat Primmer
CaliLegal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2014, 08:27 AM   #15 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Well maybe the hardrace ones are OK but the old ES poly bushings if improperly clocked and lubed would crack/rip while turning and the whole car would lose control. Even properly installed this could happen but IDK about the hardrace ones. The pillowcushion ones sound good but I have no experience with them. They also make these if you are a balla Password:JDM Rear Trailing Arm Spherical Bearing Kit | Password JDM

My .02 about RTA bushings. I will only use OEM or spherical (if I was rich) and I may try the hardrace pillowcushion ones but no need anytime soon.

1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

Old 07-07-2014, 08:31 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Very interesting about the RTA thing, I had no idea. What about shocks/springs? Coilovers seem to be more desireable, why is that? Adjustable ride height? They seem to also be quite expensive compared to something like Koni Yellows and some springs. It would be nice to be able to raiser the car in the winter though...

Edit: That spherical bushing sounds baller. But probably overkill for where I'm at now.

Last edited by alextrebek; 07-07-2014 at 08:33 AM.
alextrebek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2014, 09:03 AM   #17 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Ground control makes decent coilovers if you can call them that, real coilovers will be around the $2k mark. Ground controls and some tokico's or AGX struts would do you very well.

1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

Old 07-07-2014, 09:41 AM   #18 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

If your front end is lifting too much try using a higher spring rate in the rear ... this will also help with rotation (which is helpful for road course and AutoX type stuff). A bushing refresh and a traction bar can't hurt. You might also consider investing in some proper aero bits to keep the car planted ... just make sure you do it right (front AND rear down force). That will help with all around traction/plantedness when you end up at those higher speeds.

How uncomfortable are you comfortable with the car being, this is the real determiner when if comes to suspension set up. Look into PIC coilovers they have adjustable damping units for ~$1100 (or there abouts) and you can pick your springrates if you call them. I really like mine I got the off the shelf 12kf/10kr set and am qute pleased with it.

Poly RTAs are not as big a problem as everyone keeps playing them out to be. I've been running mine for years and my car is completely predictable.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2014, 10:41 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Found some pretty good info over on HT. It definitely seems that if you are on a budget it is best to avoid coilovers and just get a good spring/shock combo. And not to try and do budget coilovers. Pay to play, as usual.

It sounds like new bushings, shocks/springs, and a traction bar will get me about where I need to be. Full race or ESP t bar, need to decide. ES bushings. Either Koni Yellow/GC or Progress CS-II seem like a good choice for my budget.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:11 AM   #20 (permalink)
MuthaFuckaUppa

Rep Power: 17 CripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcano
CripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

They do the job. Fit fine.
I have had them for a few years now, they are corroding up now from daily driving them in the rust belt.
CripTofer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in