overkill? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2014, 03:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default overkill?

Finally getting around to swapping out my springs/shocks on my Del Sol Si. Are Koni/GC overkill on a weekend car? It's not a daily, I drive it on Saturday nights and Sunday. I'm not boosted yet so racing/tracking isn't a priority at the moment. The car currently has kyb shocks and tien springs. I'm happy with the current ride height, but cornering is a little loose; previous owner removed the rear sway bar for some reason. Just curious as to your guy's opinion on whether the money for gc/koni's will be a waste?
BCarter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2014, 03:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Get a rear sway bar.
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014, 06:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

Replace your suspension bushings and rebuild your steering system. That will help more than new shocks and springs. If you do put in a swaybar don't go too big with a Del Sol. Those things are wet noodles. heh

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 06:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Just a stock one would make the car feel way different than running no bar.
The thing must understeer like crazy.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

why would they remove the stock rear sway? it's only like 13mm or something
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2014, 05:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebox_civic View Post
why would they remove the stock rear sway? it's only like 13mm or something
I haven't understood most of what was done to the car before I got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Acid_Beaver View Post
Replace your suspension bushings and rebuild your steering system. That will help more than new shocks and springs. If you do put in a swaybar don't go too big with a Del Sol. Those things are wet noodles. heh
I'm glad you said that I was eyeing the one that comes with the asr brace. Shocks need replacing either way. Was toying with the eibach pro plus system if I didn't do koni/gc. Already have Hardrace flca and rlca about to order the other bushings. Also picked up their last heater hose kit for a d series eg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Tilt View Post
Get a rear sway bar.
Already on it.

Thanks for all the input. Basically seems like a yes it's overkill. Lol
Old 06-11-2014, 06:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yeah for a street car, if you keep the ride height up and the spring rates low, the car will ride and handle well on OEM stype shocks (which include shit like GR2, blues, etc.)
Old 06-11-2014, 11:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 32 Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

If my car had needs like bushings, bearings, tires, etc. to address, I would do all that first and foremost, then, once I knew the car was solid, assess whether or not I felt it was worth taking to the next level...

Which I did lol...I don't think that setup is "overkill" for any type of driving, I would think even somebody that thought the stock suspension was perfect would be impressed by the K/GC with appropriate spring rates. Firm but not harsh or bouncy, easy to adjust, well made.

Function > Form

RTFM!!!
Cali Noob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2014, 02:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 BLACK EJ1 is learning the way of the DBLACK EJ1 is learning the way of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Noob View Post
If my car had needs like bushings, bearings, tires, etc. to address, I would do all that first and foremost, then, once I knew the car was solid, assess whether or not I felt it was worth taking to the next level...

Which I did lol...I don't think that setup is "overkill" for any type of driving, I would think even somebody that thought the stock suspension was perfect would be impressed by the K/GC with appropriate spring rates. Firm but not harsh or bouncy, easy to adjust, well made.
I agree, not overkill. I just installed the koni/gc setup on my ej, and ever since then I look for reasons to go drive my car..and I commute 500+ miles a week in it already!
BLACK EJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2014, 05:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 TheSteelBreeze is a name known to allTheSteelBreeze is a name known to allTheSteelBreeze is a name known to allTheSteelBreeze is a name known to allTheSteelBreeze is a name known to allTheSteelBreeze is a name known to allTheSteelBreeze is a name known to allTheSteelBreeze is a name known to allTheSteelBreeze is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

i love my koni/gc set up..

TheSteelBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2014, 06:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 spAdam smells like BoratspAdam smells like BoratspAdam smells like BoratspAdam smells like BoratspAdam smells like BoratspAdam smells like Borat

Definitely not overkill. Koni/GC are an awesome budget setup for a daily. I drive ~1600 miles a month on mine.
spAdam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2014, 07:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 23 jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to jvtec8k Send a message via AIM to jvtec8k Send a message via Yahoo to jvtec8k Send a message via Skype™ to jvtec8k

I think it would be perfect I'm about to do my suspension as soon as i get off work

11.7 119mph 2013 Ebay turbo 18psi
11.0 125mph 2014 23" M&h slipping clutch
10.8 132mph 2015 clutch slipped 418whp E85
10.4 150mph 2017 62mm D16 D2b

Insta: jvtec8k

jvtec8k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2014, 10:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Noob View Post

My laundry room has a wall full of hard race boxes awaiting me to put them on. Just wanting to do everything at one time. Also addressing my brakes at that time.

Thank you everyone for the input. I had my mind set on the k/gc combo for awhile; along with asr subframe/rear sway combo. The only other option would be to get the eibach pro system plus to save money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in