powder coat springs - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2014, 08:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default powder coat springs

Is there any sense in powder coating the springs on my skunk2 coil overs, or just replace them?

You can see how al the yellow paint is coming off here:

lassoguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2014, 04:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

I'm not sure how powder coating would work on springs. It is typically a hard coating. It might not like being on a spring, but I could be wrong.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2014, 04:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 23 jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to jvtec8k Send a message via AIM to jvtec8k Send a message via Yahoo to jvtec8k Send a message via Skype™ to jvtec8k

It's rusted already maybe sand blast it first, but I would just replace it with new ones if you're really concern with the looks. I think powder coating would stick that good on a rusty springs so I'm not sure if it's all worth the trouble. Just my 2 cents

11.7 119mph 2013 Ebay turbo 18psi
11.0 125mph 2014 23" M&h slipping clutch
10.8 132mph 2015 clutch slipped 418whp E85
10.4 150mph 2017 62mm D16 D2b

Insta: jvtec8k

jvtec8k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 07:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 spAdam smells like BoratspAdam smells like BoratspAdam smells like BoratspAdam smells like BoratspAdam smells like BoratspAdam smells like Borat

For what it would cost to get them coated you could just put that money toward a set of name brand springs. Those appear to be some Ebay specials on Skunk2 sport shocks.
spAdam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2014, 09:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 15 staticchmbr is learning the way of the Dstaticchmbr is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Do you guys think the plasti dip stuff would work? I'm not talking about the spray cans, but the actual dipping cans
Old 06-08-2014, 10:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....
iTrader Score: 47 reviews

I powdercoat all the time, there is certain types of powder that are more durable in those applications but colors are limited. Most springs have some kind of powdercoating because it's the easiest and most durable solution over paint. It really depends how much you want to spend, it might not be worth it to you. The cheapest solution is just to paint them, use some engine enamel and it will stay looking good for a while.

ZCHONDACRX91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2014, 10:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

No one will see them so for looks no.

Not to protect them. I'd just sand blast or wire brush them.
Then spray with some rustloium

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2014, 10:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by staticchmbr View Post
Do you guys think the plasti dip stuff would work? I'm not talking about the spray cans, but the actual dipping cans
I was going to suggest plastidip, it's flexy and would stick just fine
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2014, 10:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 6 DontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

I agree with these guys or you could look for a rubberized paint something that has some flex to it that wont crack at the first pot hole
DontGrabMeThere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2014, 10:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 6 DontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Or heat shrink the entire spring itself
DontGrabMeThere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2014, 12:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I have a set of springs for an oval track car, they are powder coated, 3 seasons old, and look like the day that they were put on. no cracking or nothing
civic17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2014, 05:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

hotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 30 reviews

Truck bedliner in a spray can works great, nice matte look.

Quote:
Take it from somebody who has actually done it more then once and not read about it on the internet......
hotrodj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 11:00 AM   #13 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 19 d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!
d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

The price of replacement springs from Skunk2 (rate of your choosing) is less than the cost to powdercoat your current ones.
d-serious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 06:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-serious View Post
The price of replacement springs from Skunk2 (rate of your choosing) is less than the cost to powdercoat your current ones.
Best advice I've heard yet. Thank you!
lassoguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2014, 03:41 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 spAdam smells like BoratspAdam smells like BoratspAdam smells like BoratspAdam smells like BoratspAdam smells like BoratspAdam smells like Borat

Same advice I gave back in post 4

Measure up the ones that are on there first. They may or may not be the same size as the sk2 ones (the sleeves and springs you have are not). I would just look around for some used Eibachs or Hypercos, you'll find a lot of them in racing forums where people are changing rates.
spAdam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2014, 10:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 Kevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to all

Ive used regular por-15 after giving springs a quick sand with 36 grit and a wire wheel for the tight areas, Doesnt chip or flake off with the flex, very strong and durable paint. only downside is por 15 is brush on, takes a while to paint a spring

:
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in