Inboxes Koni Str.t and I think one may be bad - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2014, 04:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 11 Rexsi90 is learning the way of the DRexsi90 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Inboxes Koni Str.t and I think one may be bad

Hey guys as the title doesn't say (sorry I'm on my phone), I unboxed my Koni oranges this morning and one of the struts did not even go up when I took the plastic off it. I took a video of it next to my other rear strut. Is it bad? I got it from tunersports so I am sure they will replace it. I'll put that video up as soon as my phone lets me.
Rexsi90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2014, 09:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 32 Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

It might be stuck from sitting, try and pull it out a bit and see if it goes up, then, if not, may have lost it's charge and therefore bad.

If you want to play it safe, call tunersports first and see what they have to say on it

Function > Form

RTFM!!!
Cali Noob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2014, 09:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

It shouldnt ever get "stuck"

A gas charge, Nitrogen, is what is responsible for pushing the piston back up.

If its not returning, the shock is deficient and needs to be replaced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 09:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 32 Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

No, it really shouldn't, but they do sometimes. I've worked auto parts a long time, granted I was pedaling lower quality shocks than Koni lol, but sometimes the gas shocks did not extend on their own right out of the gate. Pull it out just a bit and they would sometimes function normal...other times not. Just sharing what I know

Function > Form

RTFM!!!
Cali Noob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2014, 10:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Yeah man only super cheap off shore crap does that, and when it does do that, its because the nitrogen charge is not right. The only way a shock would stick is from a defect like a damaged o-ring, dented body, depleted gas charge, scored/bent piston or damaged piston guide...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2014, 04:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 11 Rexsi90 is learning the way of the DRexsi90 is learning the way of the D

I took it a mod shop down the road and showed it to the guys there. They played with it. It seemed like the more they played with it the more responsive it got. They told me to put it in, drive it around, and even bring the car up there and they would ride in it and see what they think. I put them in last night and they seem okay. I will never buy them again though the install was ridiculous.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

PM me and I will talk with Lee Grimes at Koni NA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2014, 10:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 jpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexsi90 View Post
the install was ridiculous.
Do you mean they were more difficult than another brand?
jpciii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 11:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Message sent to Koni, awaiting reply.

Also, if you are going to Hyperfest 2014, talk to him at the Koni trailer.

Sorry, with trip to east coast it is taking me a while to get caught up, not having my tools here either sucks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

Last edited by transzex; 06-04-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Reply from (CRX) Lee Grimes of Koni-NA...

Quote:
It should not be an issue at all. When a shock self-extends it is simply a side effect of the presence of a nitrogen gas charge and is not at all a function or reflection of actual function of the shock. The more gas pressure inside the harder it is to push down by hand and the faster it extends and vice versa. All of the STR.T s are a thin tube low pressure gas charged design and therefore have a very limited nitrogen charge internally. The lower the charge pressure, the more things like brand new shock guide and piston rod seal friction can slow down or stop the self-extension rate. The fact that he said it began to move a bit more as they played with it further shows that it is a simple case of new friction vs. low gas pressure. Most people incorrectly think the self-extension does actual work or means something but it just doesn't really. I think he should install them and drive, don't bother with rechecking as there is nothing to really gain in taking them back off. Just run them and keep the receipt in case there is an issue downstream like leakage, funky handling, etc.

Quote:
Old 06-07-2014, 11:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Transzex: Yeah they ride great. I went ahead and put them in and I have no complaints about them. In fact, I hadn't even thought about it until I jumped on and checked my messages. Thanks man!

jpciii: Yeah the install was a bit nutty. I've done suspension many times before. When I did my Skunk2 install on my CRX, and two EK installs, the hardware provided always fit no problem. Not only did the hardware they provided with the front struts not fit, but they did not include instructions. I took it up to a local shop and they were able to drill the hardware out to fit properly. However, that cost me more $$$. I also did not like the way they knotched the bottom of the front struts to fit the wishbones. However, all in all, I learned how to deal with Koni and I like the way they ride so I would probably go Koni again. I was very frustrated after my install though. Didn't help that I had to take my stock rear struts to the machine shop and have the LCA bolts cut out... The bolts rusted inside the bushings.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Let me guess, you installed these on a 88-91 chassis???

If so you needed to use 92-95 Forks, STR.T fronts are not made for a direct fit the 88-91 chassis.

The orange struts are valved to be the same as the street yellows.

Quote:
Old 06-08-2014, 08:19 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Transzex: The stock forks on my 91 Civic Si fit the strut perfectly. I did not have any issues with the wishbones other than that it was a real pain in the ass getting them to line up. I did the install with the axles in, so I had to mount the strut at the top, then install the wishbone, so it made it hard to line the wishbone up on the strut so I could run the bolt through with the strut in the car. I consider it a learning experience.

Are you sure that they are not supposed to fit? Fitment of the wishbone on the struts seemed perfect.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

I looked up the part numbers and they might have finally made them for the earlier models. My 91 EX Sedan was gonna be a test subject due to the mileage I drove around Cincy on our known shitty roads. Koni-NA is just south of Cincy.

PS: Lee is also a transmission customer of mine

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in