Suspension Overhaul - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2014, 11:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Suspension Overhaul

I know build threads are touchy depending, but I'm posting this here in case anyone wants to weigh in... and to build my post count.

One of the biggest autox events of the season is this weekend, so what do I decide to do? Overhaul the entire suspension the week before.

Si LCAs all around, VTEC 21mm front sway, ASR 24mm adjustable rear sway (I have the ASR brace too, just not included 'cause I'm an idiot).

430f/340r GC/Konis (OTS rates even though I requested custom ), and GC top hats.

Thank God I got the top hats. I was hemming and hawing over them, but Goddamn there is not much travel with them set where I have them. My spring rates are pretty high so I'm not really worried, but it is definitely noticeable.

I'd also like some opinion on preload. I've read around that it isn't that big of a concern, but I have about 1/4-1/2 inch of slack in the front, and a full inch in the rear at full droop. I'm not too concerned since I'm sure the sway bars will keep them in check, but if the rears are too far out of spec I'd like to know.
Mitchness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2014, 12:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 16 SOHCitTOem is hot as a volcanoSOHCitTOem is hot as a volcano
SOHCitTOem is hot as a volcanoSOHCitTOem is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 20 reviews

how about bushing and joints? what chassis is this going in?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
built single cam.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
track tool.
SOHCitTOem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2014, 12:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

what class you running?
SamEJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 12:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

"Tender Springs"

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2014, 12:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 32 Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Tires and brakes up to task? No worn suspension parts? Leaks? Battery hold down in place? Seat belts are good? Already passed scrutineering? Cause all this fun stuff you're doing aside, if you haven't sorted out all the not so fun stuff, every event I've ever been to, they will send you packing if the car isn't sorted

Function > Form

RTFM!!!
Cali Noob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2014, 01:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHCitTOem View Post
how about bushing and joints? what chassis is this going in?
Del Sol chassis. Bushings in the LCAs are all good. I'm getting the TA bushings replaced with HardRace bushings as we speak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamEJ1 View Post
what class you running?
Carbon fiber hood and trunk force me up into SMF. Could put the stockers back on and run ST, but the JRSC I have up next will make SMF concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
"Tender Springs"
I know. I DD this car as well so Koni Races were kind of off the table. I would've liked to go into the 600s if I had my way, but Yellows wouldn't stand up to it. Also why I'm upgrading the sways- to take up some of that slack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Noob View Post
Tires and brakes up to task? No worn suspension parts? Leaks? Battery hold down in place? Seat belts are good? Already passed scrutineering? Cause all this fun stuff you're doing aside, if you haven't sorted out all the not so fun stuff, every event I've ever been to, they will send you packing if the car isn't sorted
Direzza Z2s for tires. Brakes are in decent shape right now, but I plan to upgrade them in the near future. The 9.5" front discs are obviously too small, but since I'm running HX wheels the largest I can go would be VTEC or Integra 10.3"s. I'll snag them from a yard here soon, add some Brembo blanks and Hawk pads, upgrade to DOT4 fluid, and throw some braided lines on once the TA bushings are done, and call it good (for now). Practically brand new suspension parts as of now (even did the shifter bushings). No leaks. Battery is good. Seat belts work. Already passed tech and ran two events this season and they approved me for season tech as well. Though they'll have to tech me again now that I've made these changes, but I'm not worried.

All great questions/concerns guys. Definitely the best forum for getting my questions answered and build critiqued correctly. I'd have three pages of "Why no F&F coilovers, brah?" over on HT.

Last edited by Mitchness; 04-25-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

since it's a Sol, what have you done chassis bracing-wise? I noticed a huge difference on my sol when I put an H-brace on, much less so when I did a front strut brace
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2014, 01:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

I have front/rear strut braces and fender braces in the mail right now, and I'm running the top temporarily for overall rigidity. I also already have the front lower subframe brace from an Integra installed, and the ASR rear subframe brace will be going on as well.

There is a custom builder affiliated with the autox club that builds every racing platform out there, minus F-1, and I'll be consulting him for bracing options. Likely gonna have to be a cage of some type, but if possible I'll try to convince him to attempt underbody bracing.

Last edited by Mitchness; 04-25-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

let me know what he comes up with underbody-bracing wise, and what he wants to make one. I might be interested in one myself because when that top is off I can see things flexing and that's no good

you're pretty much building the suspension I will be going with soon though
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2014, 11:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Forgot I hadn't posted this.

Ran into a big problem during reassembly of the front, but at least I got the rear all mounted up.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Y U No 32mm?

Am I the only one?
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2014, 01:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

I got the 24mm for cheap ($50 w/endlinks) so I'll see how it does for now. It's set to the stiffest setting so I'm sure it won't be soggy by any means. Maybe 32mm down the road... after I have the front spindles rebuilt from the damn stud wallowing out in the hub. X(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in