Bolt stuck in bushing rear upper control arm - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 06:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Bolt stuck in bushing rear upper control arm

I'm pretty stumped on getting this B**** out. Trying to replace the right rear upper control arm and the bushing is just spinning in the arm. Bolt is seized to the inner sleeve. The more I back out the bolt, it just pries the trailing arm apart even more. It's to the point that the welded on nut looks like it's about to break off. I've about had it with this crap. Anybody have any ideas? I'd like to leave the trailing arm on as with how one bolt is going, I'd rather not open a whole new can of worms. F***. I don't think burning out the bushing will accomplish anything, I believe there's a metal sleeve inside of it? Anyways, here's a pic:
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2014, 12:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 jpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regularjpciii is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

You have to cut the bolt. Cut/destroy the bushing, destroy the upper control arm, try not to further destroy the trailing arm. Whatever it takes - grinder, sawzall, torch if you're awesome.

If you have an old Honda from the rust belt, you should just expect every bushing with a bolt through it to have this problem. Even my Wagon from California had a couple stuck bolts in the rear lower control arms.

Beware, those bolts that hold the UCA to the body might be stubborn also. Don't want to break them. Heat and an impact works better than a breaker bar.
jpciii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2014, 10:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Brings back painful memories.

Get a torch or a cutoff wheel.

Also, be careful removing the bolts by the chassis too. Those can also be a rusted pain.
NARFALICIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 02:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

I was trying to replace my BMW Control Arms & Suspension Bushings due to some internal problems and vibration problems over the bumps. But I was not unable to understand whether to fix only the upper control arm ,lower or both.After trying hard I could finally fix the issue properly.
ryanjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2014, 08:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

cut bolt head off. Cut threaded end off, leave enough lenght to grab with plyers to thread bolt rest of way out of welded on nut. replace upper control arm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
you will get stuck in the "willfully ignorant" category and I will do what I can to see that you never get an answer to any question you ever ask on this forum again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BiggieBert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2014, 09:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 15 Wischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcano
Wischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

Mine is the same way, but I didn't go as far as you did.

I stopped when I saw that it was seized and pushing the arm apart.

Going to cut the bolt / bushing and replace the bolt. Already have a new upper arm ready to go in so that's not an issue.

The bolts are cheap from Honda.

Quote:
I mess with cars because it's more socially acceptable than a cocaine habit ... although the cocaine would probably be cheaper.
Wischmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2014, 11:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Cut the bolt. And pb blaster it.
I hate dealing with old rusted bolts to many problems. I normally pb blaster it the day before I have to work on them.

Also you can try to heat it to break the rust and then unbolt it.

But as other side don't mess up the trailing arm. It cost more to fit that then the bushing or camber arm.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2014, 11:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

get an impact and unbolt it as far as you can then just cut the bushing on thr boldhead side. and rip it out. rebend the metal part that got distorted
thats how i do
Old 05-10-2014, 11:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

jeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussie

yup, time to cut shit up.
Any way possible.

1995 Delcamino D15Beater7
Synchrotech EX trans / LSD clutch
Ebay Header/Hackpro Custom 2" Exhaust
Nitrous Express Wet Kit
Hackpro Custom one-off tow hitch.

Quote:
You win at everything forever!
jeremy85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2014, 12:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

If you can remove the two bolt on the other end of the arm, I'd unbolt there and remove whole trailing arm just for ease or working on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in