Possibly bent hub, thoughts? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2014, 06:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to xotic_crx
Default Possibly bent hub, thoughts?

Ok, so I had some wheel bearings and studs pressed on my EX spindles about a month ago. I kept noticing a slight noise from the front brakes, like something touching the rotor on part of it as it turns, and it wasn't all the time. I pulled the pads and trimmed the retainer clips some because I had an issue with them dragging the before.

Well, that did nothing, so I pulled the wheels and put it on stands and put it in gear and the right side has a wobble back and forth as it spun o_O. Wheel bearings have no slack, axle nut torqued properly, etc. I thought it was a rotor, so I swapped it for a new one, impacted lugs on and put set screws on. It looked better after re-installing, little to no wobble. Thought it was fixed and took it to autocross the next day. While pushing the car in grid, my co-driver heard it touching again *facepalm*.

Now, I'm going to pull it apart tomorrow and see more about it. Could the hub itself be bent/warped, or is it more likely something went awry on the bearing/hub install?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
< Like us on FB
xotic_crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2014, 07:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Do a runout test on the hub face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2014, 07:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 51 reviews

Maybe the hub is worn out where it contacts the bearing. Usually only happens when the bearing wears out badly.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NeonPinHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 08:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 22 xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerD View Post
Do a runout test on the hub face.
I don't have the tools to do that unfortunately. Did a homemade "hold my finger here" to check it after re-installing the new rotor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonPinHead View Post
Maybe the hub is worn out where it contacts the bearing. Usually only happens when the bearing wears out badly.

I've had a hub get damaged and it just had slack in it like a bad bearing. Could be I suppose.

< Like us on FB
Old 03-31-2014, 08:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

About $20 at HF will make a run out setup, same setup cam be used to check cam lobes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 05:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

Only need a wire. Bend it into a loop. Built the loop to the caliper mounting point. Bend it to the face of the hub. Rotate the hub. If the gap changes, you have runout. You can approximate the runout with feeler Gauges.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 07:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!

If the runout is that bad you can usually tell by eye balling it. Like you said before first step is taking it apart and checking it out.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
About $20 at HF will make a run out setup, same setup cam be used to check cam lobes.
Closest HF is over an hour from here, or else I'd have a lot more stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Acid_Beaver View Post
Only need a wire. Bend it into a loop. Built the loop to the caliper mounting point. Bend it to the face of the hub. Rotate the hub. If the gap changes, you have runout. You can approximate the runout with feeler Gauges.
Don't know why I didn't think of this. Did this today and didn't notice any runout on the passenger side. I did have only one set screw on the driver side, so I got some at the hardware store and put two new ones in. I'll drive it later this week and find out, but I couldn't hear anything just spinning it by hand.

< Like us on FB
Old 04-01-2014, 03:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

What set screws? The ones that hold the rotor to the hub? With the lugs on the screws do nothing

Old 04-01-2014, 04:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

If the lug nuts are torqued properly, yes. If not, then that can cause issues. The screws do help locate things and that is not a bad thing at all.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 04:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

I always torque mine with a torque wrench to 90ft/lbs. And that's the way I've always felt about it, but I remember rustbucketrex had an issue with his car having a wobble, and didn't have any set screws but torqued lugs properly; he put some in and it went away.

Anywho, I impacted the lugs onto the rotor with the wheel off, put set screws in, hand-impacted them tight and put it together. I'll test it tomorrow. Thanks for the input guys.

< Like us on FB
Old 04-01-2014, 05:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

IMO....If the hub was bent...you'd feel it...not hear it.
Are u sure its not the rotor shield making intermittent contact while the suspension is flexing?

Last edited by theotherchris; 04-01-2014 at 05:17 PM. Reason: spelling
theotherchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 05:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 hoorah smells like Borathoorah smells like Borathoorah smells like Borathoorah smells like Borathoorah smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Max rotor runout is .002". If you have Over that, pull the rotor and check the hub. Should be 0. If the hub is at 0 try changing the rotor position may reduce it.
hoorah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 05:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 21 robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!
robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Have you checked the dust shield?
robscrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 06:16 PM   #15 (permalink)

I'll recheck them later, but I did have to bend them out of the way after initial install. This isn't a constant noise, it was a clear scrape sound with every rotation of the wheel. It could be a dust shield now, since it is faint and possibly changes with direction and wheel input.

Initially, whatever was causing it on the passenger side was so bad that I could see it with the naked eye and the caliper itself was sliding back and forth. Couldn't feel it in the wheel at all; in fact I had gone on a cruise with the local Miata group the morning before I pulled the wheel off to investigate the noise and never once felt it.

< Like us on FB
Old 04-01-2014, 07:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotic_crx View Post
Closest HF is over an hour from here, or else I'd have a lot more stuff!
$6.99 shipping, 25% off coupon, what is your excuse now?

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

Quote:
boom knowledge lol
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2014, 06:29 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm...uh...it's...hmmmmmmmm.

Lol, for real, I didn't realize you could order stuff online!

< Like us on FB
Old 04-02-2014, 12:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Due to my transportation issues, it costs $8 in gas to go to local HF and back. So if your order is enough, it is worth it.

Now returns might be an issue.

Quote:
Old 04-02-2014, 05:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

The HF "vice grip" style runout set for $20 is so worth it.

You can spec so much stuff with it. Its a no brainer decision to buy one.

Also, this noise you hear. Same sorta thing happened to me once. it was due to how I had installed my cotter pins on the LBJ castle nut.

THey were pointing towards the rotor, and when the car was in the air, it had plenty of clearance. When lowered on the ground, the clearance was VERY minimal on the side that didnt touch, and the other side was barely touching.

Trimmed them down with side cutters, noise gone.

Who knows...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in