Good DD setup on a budget? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2014, 07:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Good DD setup on a budget?

I'd like to replace the suspension in my car but I'm not sure what to buy, I want my car to just be less bumpy and hard on my back when driving. I want performance but still something I can comfortably drive in for around 2grand or less.

Car is a 98 coupe with 168k miles it has aftermarket springs but idk what kind .

I was looking at gettin bushings and coilovers would that be all I need to make it a more enjoyable ride?

Also should ask if I want to just replace the whole suspension what do I need
Springs/shocks
Bushings
Camber kits?
Tie rod
I don't know what else is need

Thanks
ginger jankins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2014, 07:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

Also I'm looking at one of the Eibach complete kits the problem I have is I don't know how to put springs on shocks.
Think I can find a shop who would put the springs on for me?
Old 03-27-2014, 08:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 95coupeD16y8 is learning the way of the D95coupeD16y8 is learning the way of the D

Did you say your budget was $2,000?

If yes, Koni yellow sport shocks and ground control coilover sleeves will be shoved down your throat. Why? Because it's a great combo, custom spring rates, rebound rate and dampening on shocks.

H&r sport lowering springs are rather soft with Koni oranges.

If you want a full coilover, check out Progress cs-II's, again custom spring rates

For bushings I would personally get hard race bushings, but you wanna soft ride so not too sure.

Camber kit is not needed in this situation. Those are only needed when your car absolutely floored and on the ground.

Last edited by 95coupeD16y8; 03-27-2014 at 08:09 AM.
95coupeD16y8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 12:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

So to get something that doesn't make the back seat passengers head hit the ceiling I should get the H&Rs with the orange?

Then where could I get the two put together i don't know my way around suspension stuff, would a regular auto shop do it? Or maybe a tuner shop?
Old 03-28-2014, 09:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

https://www.d-series.org/forums/suspe...-overhaul.html
CrxCarl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2014, 06:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 52793 is worse than Satan's asshole52793 is worse than Satan's asshole

You can always overhaul the bushings and go from there. It was night and day difference when I went through and replaced all of the bushings.
52793 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 11:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 BLACK EJ1 is learning the way of the DBLACK EJ1 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Get the koni yellows with ground control springs. Do it yourself man it's easy! Research DIYs on it there's only a few nuts and bolts involved. I'll try and find the DIY thread I used and post it up, I just did mine a couple weeks ago.
BLACK EJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 11:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

My .02.

1) Stock or oem replacement shocks, kyb gr2 or another.
2) Springs, eibach are the best bang for the buck in my opinion for a daily.
3) Bushings, go ES for the LCAs, OEM for the RTA, and good ball joints.
4) Tires, good rubber saves lives, lol.
5) Tie rods, in and out.

Just did this for my DD and I am liking it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 11:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

I am with Whosot on alot of this. I have eibach sportlines and love them for my DD. Just enough low and not a harsh ride. Bushings I would go with OEM only in the RTA and if you want a soft ride then OEM everywhere. Also freshen up the motor mounts with some new ones and I think ES offers a motor mount insert to stiffen them up a little.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 Toyota Matrix XR (1ZZFE 6spd)
2005 Pontiac Vibe GT (2ZZGE 6spd)
1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

You will be missed but not forgotten.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 01:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 15 CaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcano
CaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

For your daily on a budget, you will feel the most difference from new bushings and new "good" tires with light weight wheel. Light wheels helps handling but may push your budget out. From there go with shocks and springs. If you still have money to blow, come back and let us know....

But as someone already said, on 2k budget...

Koni yellows and GC custom coilovers = $950-1k <== great proven setup

new bushings depending on what brand you get $150-$280 for complete set

RTA bushings $25 per - you need two

Should leave plenty for wheels and tires... May need to come up with dough for labor, or find a buddy with a press.

ONLY by the camber kit when you actually need it.

New - 5/25/12
.002 P2W
75.5mm Z6
TD04H 15G @ 22.6psi ??WHP

Quote:
?
Put a new motor in?
Dont race your car?
If you see smoke don't insert face?
If any of this confuses you die!
R.I.P - Pat Primmer
CaliLegal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 01:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

I need a camber kit to correct my rear wheels with my eibachs. Otherwise I will continue to eat my rear inside tires up.

2007 Toyota Matrix XR (1ZZFE 6spd)
2005 Pontiac Vibe GT (2ZZGE 6spd)
1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

You will be missed but not forgotten.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 01:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 15 CaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcano
CaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerDrinkin View Post
I need a camber kit to correct my rear wheels with my eibachs. Otherwise I will continue to eat my rear inside tires up.
Yes because the Eibachs are a set drop... sport lines are 2.0 in the back??

The GC coils he can adjust the height to his desire, which is why i suggested he leave them until he actually needs them.. But rear cambers can be had for $90 for a good set. You can always rock ebay crap but I dont trust it.

New - 5/25/12
.002 P2W
75.5mm Z6
TD04H 15G @ 22.6psi ??WHP

Quote:
?
Put a new motor in?
Dont race your car?
If you see smoke don't insert face?
If any of this confuses you die!
R.I.P - Pat Primmer
CaliLegal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in