Tips for getting the steering rack seperated from the yoke? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2014, 01:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver
Default Tips for getting the steering rack seperated from the yoke?

So, Steve (turbogheylude91) said he just unbolted the yoke from the column and then just slid the whole thing through. I am gonna try that.

Does anyone else have any tips on how to get the steering rack off?

Pertinent info:

1989 CRX.
I'm chilly.
I'm frustrated as this is the last thing that has to come off so I can drop the darn subframe.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2014, 04:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge

For future reference, you have to remove the bolt, not just loosen it.

Duh.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Gotta love that little machined recess in there that keeps it in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 04:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Can you tell I've never done this before? heh

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Acid_Beaver View Post
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to the suspension.

Had to do it lol

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
HondaDNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 10:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 29 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

As you always say, RTFM!

:P

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 10:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

I was tired and cold. I really thought it said to just loosen the bolt.

Like I keep saying, I'm an idiot most of the time. No one believes me, but it's the truth.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 bake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Too funny Beave!

Was going to comment saying it should just fall out once you remove the bolt. Glad you got it out!
bake82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 10:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Do I dare say I told you so? ahahaha

Jswap 4dr

Boost 4dr

Twin scrol

F2B
turboprelude95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 10:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Yup. Total retard moment. Enjoy it while you can.

And Steve, don't forget who is likely tuning your car. Heh

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 92CXyD is hot as a volcano92CXyD is hot as a volcano
92CXyD is hot as a volcano92CXyD is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:

LOL DSO blackmail...... sorta

Quote:
ENMO.

An Emo car would cut its own tires and never get out of the garage.
92CXyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 10:43 AM   #12 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Lol! Yeah. I'm not that serious, though. Both Steve and I know that we need other people to call us out and keep us humble once in a while.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:51 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:

muhahahahahha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92CXyD View Post
LOL DSO blackmail...... sorta
Quote:
Lol! Yeah. I'm not that serious, though. Both Steve and I know that we need other people to call us out and keep us humble once in a while.
Soo true and makes it a lot more funny. Beave calls me an idiot on a regular bases hahahah

Jswap 4dr

Boost 4dr

Twin scrol

F2B
turboprelude95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 11:51 AM   #14 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Hey Matt, RTFM!

error: ID10T

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 01:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

Haven't run across a pinch bolt on a sterring shaft that doesn't have to be completely removed. Kind of an extra safeguard.

snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 01:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

I've never pulled a rack before. On anything. Ever.

I'm ignant.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:33 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Learning by doing > learning by just reading about it.

Quote:
ENMO.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:19 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 jabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

My cousin was driving his miata around the block when i went down to GA to visit. He pulls into the driveway and there's a slight bump, steering wheel becomes disconnected from the rack. Whoever put the rack in before him (previous owner) didn't put the bolt in the recess, they just tightened the bottom set of splines of the rod to the top of the rack splines. It's a good thing he hit the bump in the driveway and not on the highway he was about to drive down.
jabberwock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 06:44 AM   #19 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92CXyD View Post
Learning by doing > learning by just reading about it.
True, but books are very important, too, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwock View Post
My cousin was driving his miata around the block when i went down to GA to visit. He pulls into the driveway and there's a slight bump, steering wheel becomes disconnected from the rack. Whoever put the rack in before him (previous owner) didn't put the bolt in the recess, they just tightened the bottom set of splines of the rod to the top of the rack splines. It's a good thing he hit the bump in the driveway and not on the highway he was about to drive down.
That's scary.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:23 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwock View Post

They have a name for that moment....

Oh yeah that is what is called a OH SHIT!!!!!! moment, I experienced a tie rod separation from knuckle in a buddy's driveway and that was exactly what I said.

Quote:
ENMO.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in