DD suspension overhaul - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2014, 02:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 BLACK EJ1 is learning the way of the DBLACK EJ1 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default DD suspension overhaul

I'm looking for some opinions on a comfortable dd setup. I drive my car 500+ miles a week and although i want a sporty feel i also dont want to regret it while driving on the highway. I've done extensive research and I think ive decided on the PIC hrb bushing kit and progress cs-II coilovers. This will be the first aftermarket suspension for me so any feedback would be great.
BLACK EJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2014, 04:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

Chinese crud is not something I would consider for anything that reciprocates or oscillates.

Do yourself a flavor and get Koni Yellows and Ground controls or spend the extra and just get REAL coilovers like KW.

The PIC bushing kit is great. You may also want to consider overhauling your ball joints, steering and brakes while you are getting down and dirty.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2014, 04:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 BLACK EJ1 is learning the way of the DBLACK EJ1 is learning the way of the D

Wow that's the first negative thing I've heard about progress coilovers, but I will def take it to heart I know you are a long time member and have read many of your posts. As far as steering I am going to do inner and outer tie rods. Brakes, I've thought about rear disk but is it really necessary for my dd?? What else would you recommend in the brakes department?

Old 03-22-2014, 05:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge

The Progress stuff is better than most, but I am wholly opposed to cheap suspension parts. I prefer shocks that have predictable and relatively matching damping curves (not much of anything made in China or even most of Taiwan, as far as "tuner" brands go, fit that bill), springs that are a known quantity and made from materials I know can handle abuse, as you are driving enough to put serious wear and tear on things.

I detest civic rear discs. They are heavy, poorly functioning and cause more headaches in my experience than they are worth. I would just go through everything and clean and grease up the pivot points correctly, making sure everything is good. I usually change my brake fluid once a year, too, if it is just a daily. (Track cars need brakes bled every event, IMO.)

Basically, make sure everything is in correctly working order.

You might also like a stiffer rear sway bar, but that can be a matter of personal taste, and I'd highly recommend attempting to drive a car similar to yours with a thicker rear bar before you go all in on a setup.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Forgive me if I am wrong but all of progress technology's products are manufactured in the USA

http://www.progressauto.com/about-us
Old 03-23-2014, 07:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 32 Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

I'll 2nd the praise for the Koni/GC, I have it, I love it...you can spend less on "decent" shocks and this or that brand springs and come out happy, but with the K/GC, you can effectively adjust dampening with Koni Sports (the yellow ones), though it is a process and requires alignment every time you do it, you can adjust ride height, and the springs can be replaced in pairs, as opposed to the full set, if you want to change the ride characteristics.

I also agree with Beaver, don't put a sway bar on until you've done the other stuff, might be overkill.

And, while it goes against my instinct to disagree with a site titan, regarding rear disc brakes, I'm not convinced they carry so many negative attributes, guess I'm just going to have to find out for myself. When I do swap, I think I will hold on to my old parts for awhile just in case

Function > Form

RTFM!!!
Cali Noob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2014, 08:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK EJ1 View Post
Forgive me if I am wrong but all of progress technology's products are manufactured in the USA

Progress Technology: Anti-roll bars, sport springs, coil-overs, camber kits and more since 1995!
I am not aware that they are made int he US. If they are, cool. Overall, they seem to be very well liked and Progress' customer service seems to be very good, too, on occasions that stuff needs to get replaced. If they are actually made in the US, I'd say give them a try, though I think that if I ever get coilovers, I'd likely spend the extra coin on KWs since they have SS shock bodies that can actually not rust to heck in the North East Road Salt season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Noob View Post
I'll 2nd the praise for the Koni/GC, I have it, I love it...you can spend less on "decent" shocks and this or that brand springs and come out happy, but with the K/GC, you can effectively adjust dampening with Koni Sports (the yellow ones), though it is a process and requires alignment every time you do it, you can adjust ride height, and the springs can be replaced in pairs, as opposed to the full set, if you want to change the ride characteristics.

I also agree with Beaver, don't put a sway bar on until you've done the other stuff, might be overkill.

And, while it goes against my instinct to disagree with a site titan, regarding rear disc brakes, I'm not convinced they carry so many negative attributes, guess I'm just going to have to find out for myself. When I do swap, I think I will hold on to my old parts for awhile just in case
I am not a titan. I am opinionated idiot. Do whatever you want. I will still dislike ANY combined parking/disc brake combo that is not either disc over drum or has a completely separate parking caliper. It's just stupid and unsafe and usually poorly implemented, especially in Hondas. I've replaced more of those rear calipers than I'd care to think about. I'll take my lighter and more effective rear drums any day.

Again, the above is just my opinion. Others can and do strongly disagree. IDGAF. heh

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Static grabbing force of disc brakes is garbage.

And thats why everyone does rotor over drum now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 03:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

A little off subject, but the wheels I want are 15x8 and 16lbs(klutch sl1 bronze). How much would it benefit me to get a much lighter set of wheels??

Oh, and I have decided to go with koni/GC..thinking 350 front and rear.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 30 BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BigJnWorldWide Send a message via Yahoo to BigJnWorldWide

May I suggest contacting THMotorsports????? He is a site sponsor on Honda Tech. I'm sure he will give you some kind of discount.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
On top of that you have a special knowledge, an understanding of the complexity of the things happening. Others see you turn the wheel and push down on the gas, not you. You see a symphony of combustion and physics. You see a balance between frictional coefficients, tire roll over, spring rates, and throttle. It's a beautiful thing to see all these components working in harmony, it's literally a ballet of force and mathematics!
BigJnWorldWide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 05:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Too late. Think I got a good deal tho. Ordered from Redshift motorsports. Koni yellow/GC for $775 shipped?
Old 03-28-2014, 05:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

dnice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Nice Report back and let us know what you think.
2014 Honda Grom
dnice78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 05:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

Will do. I am very excited.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:56 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series lover

Wheels tires and bushings are next.
PIC bushings
I WANT the klutch sl1 bronze wheels but am still researching whether 16lb wheels are too heavy so any input would be great
Old 03-28-2014, 06:36 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 30 BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BigJnWorldWide Send a message via Yahoo to BigJnWorldWide

What spring rates did you choose?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
On top of that you have a special knowledge, an understanding of the complexity of the things happening. Others see you turn the wheel and push down on the gas, not you. You see a symphony of combustion and physics. You see a balance between frictional coefficients, tire roll over, spring rates, and throttle. It's a beautiful thing to see all these components working in harmony, it's literally a ballet of force and mathematics!
BigJnWorldWide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 06:39 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series lover

350/250
Old 03-28-2014, 09:42 AM   #17 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Beaver's is the first negative I have ever seen about Progress. But, he doesn't own them. The reviews on them are impeccable. They are US made, customer service is great, quality is strong. That's why I have a 350-250 CSii kit on my CRX. I have very little time on them, but they have been really good. Just Google Progress CSii reviews. Forum after forum of satisfied, real-life experiences. I got mine shipped for $595 because I am a member at Honda Tech and they had a special going on. I don't work for them, but feel like I have been posting about them a lot the last two days. Everybody is thinking Spring I guess and upgrading suspension set ups.
CrxCarl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 09:48 AM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-28-2014, 09:59 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 51 reviews
Default DD suspension overhaul

If you are doing pic bushings did you look into pic coil overs? I have apex p3's on my ej1 dd and love them.

The progress coilovers posted above in my opinion look cheap but for the price who would complain? Even f&f's are more expensive. I like the ability to adjust spring load and ride height separately. Thats why i didnt go gc/koni, the only thing i lack on my apex's is damper adjustment but my shocks are matched to my springs so i dont miss the feature.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Last edited by NeonPinHead; 03-28-2014 at 10:04 AM.
NeonPinHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 10:05 AM   #20 (permalink)
n00b

What about them looks cheap? Never having had coilovers before, I have nothing to compare them to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in