Honda D Series Forum banner

Build thread/pic whoring

28K views 151 replies 53 participants last post by  AutoXCivic 
#1 ·
FedEx arrived about 10 minutes ago and dropped off this:

Everything is coming together ... slowly. Unfortunately a couple of unexpected bills came up this month so I may have to wait a bit on some of the other parts.

Still on my list of things to acquire:
Downpipe
Injectors
BOV
Wastegate
Oil Lines
Clutch

Hopefully the initial stage of this build will be done by Christmas.

See less See more
#3 ·
black fmic's ftmfw

#7 ·
That's what I thought ... but Greg said the black would have a minimal effect (if any) on the efficiency of the intercooler.

Nice.. What Bov are you going to get?
Tial as per Greg's suggestion. As soon as I have money, and a tial external wastegate.

sweet! i like the black intercooler so nobody would know ur boosting it :TU:
That's the idea, going for a clean, stock look.

#10 ·
my IC is painted black. if you think about it the sun wouldnt do anything since you are driving 70mph with the wind blowin over it thus droping the heat soak you would get from the sun. also its kinda covered by the bumper as well.

painting my IC black was the best thing i ever did you dont see it at al unless i pop my hood and you see the goods.

#11 ·
I think the black turned out great (I'll more than likely do mine the same way) The coats on the core are extremely thin, you can't tell in the picture, but in direct light at side angles it's easier to see. There are several coats on the endtanks to help endure the scratches. (took alot longer to do than it may appear)

Tial BOV FTW!!

#13 ·
Sexiness. Me likey.

#17 ·
man, i love the feeling when you get home and theres a nice big box of goods on your doorstep. makes my smile and say:haha:ya every time. ...what do yall think of having a white ic provided it matches the car good.... and doesnt look ricer if at all possible. im just thinking about different color ic besides the reg and black ones you always see.

#18 ·
Yay ... more parts. Getting this installed on Thursday. I figure since I've never had a boosted car it would be better to get used to driving with this first. Instead of trying to get used to boost and a really grippy clutch at the same time.

#19 ·
Yay ... more parts. Getting this installed on Thursday. I figure since I've never had a boosted car it would be better to get used to driving with this first. Instead of trying to get used to boost and a really grippy clutch at the same time.

dont worry that clutch wont have a grip issue.......:haha:

#20 ·
I'm not worried about it having a grip issue. I'm just worried about being able to drive with it. I've never driven on anything other than a stock clutch ... and I'm sure there's some sort of learning curve.

#23 ·
Holy dead thread revival batman.

Well now that I've gotten settled into my new house I've had some time to build up more funds and get some more work done on the car.

First up ... brembo slotted rotors. My left front rotor was slightly warped so it was time for an upgrade. New brembo slotted rotors all the way around.

Old rotors (not so pretty):

New rotors (yay, some bling for my ride):

Also the car is going to the shop today for the z6 head swap. I'll have it back by Thursday (I think).

Here's some before shots of my dirty ass engine bay.

I will be posting after shots when I get the car back from the shop. I will also post butt dyno results.

#25 · (Edited)
It's my only vehicle, so I want to make sure it's done right. And yeah the wiring is really intimidating to me.

I seems simple but until I have an alternate form of transportation (aside from borrowing someone else's) it goes to the shop for work. Mostly.

#27 ·
Thus far no problems. Running a d15b7 w/ i/e/h, so not a whole lot of torque, certainly not enough to make it slip. The shop I'm taking it to built a car that's putting down close to 300whp (not sure about torque) using the same clutch and it seems to be holding up just fine. We'll see how it takes to the mini me, and then later how it feels with the turbo.

#28 ·
Well shit. Just got a call from the shop ... apparently letting the head sit around in a box for two years wasn't the best idea in the world. It has to be sent off to be resurfaced, and there's some rust that has to be sanded out. But hopefully it will still be done sometime this week ... and won't be too much more expensive. Oil pan is also being prepped for future turbo goodness while everything is apart.

Guess it was a good thing I didn't try to do the swap myself after all. I probably wouldn't have noticed some of that stuff.

#30 ·
All right time for after pics. Got my car back yesterday ... mini me is all done. Now I can haz m4d tyte USDM vtaks. Anyway gained about 40whp out of the deal and I can feel it everywhere in the powerband. Much w00tage.

New pics of the engine bay.

It ended up being way more expensive than either I or my tuner expected. But that's what I get for letting things sit around for 2+ years. But I pretty much ended up with a minty fresh head out of the deal. So next step (when I acquire fundage) is to get the turbo kit put on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.