D16Z6 Turbo Building..... and going all out... 1st time you've heard of one of these - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else Showcase

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2018, 04:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default D16Z6 Turbo Building..... and going all out... 1st time you've heard of one of these

What's up DSO crew. I am just about to start my rebuilding project for my Z6 and just thought I'd post it up for anyone interested. I'll be asking for some opinions ( which I have read tons of on DSO and many other places ) but the point of this forum is to share with you guys and ask this group so I will. I will cal this my DSO group turbo Z6 build.

Im starting with pulling my stock motor out ( think I bent a valve missing third right before I decided this ) so this is perfect timing. I messed up and didnt think about photos so missing some.

I decided to go all out while I'm at it. I have had a GSR brake swap laying around with stainless lines and also booster/master cylinder. Seems like the perfect time to try a wire tuck so I think I'm going to give it a shot too.

I'll update with the work so far.

Goals:350-500 whp

Here are my main questions:
1. Injector sizes ( 1000cc ) is the plan. Someone mentioned on of our DSO sponsors/member who does injectors??

2. It's going to be an ebay turbo, anyone know a good kit that retains AC or a way to make one compatible? I have seen many, looking for input from anyone who has actually found/used one.

3. ECU, should I just go with a hondata 300 v3 or are there actually better options ( I will not be tuning, so best for a tuner to work with )

4. Wideband O2? Brand?

5. Do I really need a new fuel rail and FPR ( I probably with get this anyway )? What about fuel filter?

5. Is an oil catch can a must?

6. Adjustable Cam gear necessary? Best tunable brand?

7. When you guys have put your motors back together, do you put back that bracket that connects the ITM to the block?

8. Oil pump? I dont believe the one I'm pulling is a factory Honda. Is any replacement ok? Honda factory only? What about ACL Race oil pump?

9. What about water pump options?????

10. I'm sure I will have many more. Thanks to all who have made it this far down the list and I appreciate it. I only ask to please speak about what YOU have actually used and your opinions on their performance. I have been reading about these builds for over 15+ yrs, just like many of you but dont know many ppl with actual real life experience using parts so thats why I asking, not because I haven't done my own research.

Thanks DSO
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181117_173858_1544058122880.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	339.7 KB
ID:	125339   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181113_220612_1544058297448.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	374.9 KB
ID:	125341   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180325_235005_1544058545909.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	520.0 KB
ID:	125345  
hot94hatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2018, 07:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Updated:

Ordered some parts.

8. ACL Race Oil Pump ordered

9. Gates Racing timing Belt, Water Pump and tensioner.

Any love from you guys on the other questions?
Old 12-12-2018, 12:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot94hatch View Post
Goals:350-500 whp

Here are my main questions:
1. Injector sizes ( 1000cc ) is the plan. Someone mentioned on of our DSO sponsors/member who does injectors??
Use an injector flow calculator to work out what capacity you need if you're just taking a stab in the dark.

Quote:
3. ECU, should I just go with a hondata 300 v3 or are there actually better options ( I will not be tuning, so best for a tuner to work with )
I'm running Hondata and it works well for me, just make sure you can find a tuner locally that is comfortable with tuning on Hondata. If you have a preferred tuner, ask what they're comfortable tuning with.

Quote:
4. Wideband O2? Brand?
I'm using a PLX wideband and it's working well, heaps of good reviews when i was researching them too.

Quote:
5. Do I really need a new fuel rail and FPR ( I probably with get this anyway )? What about fuel filter?
Most importantly, a fuel pump that can out flow your injectors. I'd get a FPR so you can keep your fuel pressure where you want it, but i haven't heard of anyone out flowing the OEM fuel rail.

Quote:
5. Is an oil catch can a must?
Yes.

Quote:
6. Adjustable Cam gear necessary? Best tunable brand?
Are you shaving the head at all? Or changing HG thickness? No? Then not really. You'll be able to pick up some power if you can move it around on the dyno though.

Quote:
7. When you guys have put your motors back together, do you put back that bracket that connects the ITM to the block?
ITM? InTake Manifold? Not really necesssary, but why wouldn't you?

Quote:
9. What about water pump options?????
OEM>aftermarket

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by EFB055; 12-12-2018 at 12:07 PM.
EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 06:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Quote:
ITM? InTake Manifold? Not really necesssary, but why wouldn't you?

this is the first mod that I do on these engines ,get rid of that bracket...
robgoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2018, 07:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 19 civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!
civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

ill throw in neptune for tuning option.

civicdxude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2018, 07:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
MuthaFuckaUppa

Rep Power: 17 CripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcano
CripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Your first mod should be an ECU, and either find a good tuner or learn for yourself.

Hondata S300 is great, with the newer add on components it is capable of almost everything you could ever want.

AEM makes some pretty bad ass stuff.

I would also recommend an adjustable cam gear just so you can degree your cam, even if it is the stock cam, and stock head. Machining the head/block deck will change timing, where you will definitely need it then.

I have PLX works great, make sure you have extra sensors and know your sensor is working correctly before you try tuning. Uses a VW/Bosch wideband sensor.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgoof View Post
this is the first mod that I do on these engines ,get rid of that bracket...
I was trying to pull a head off an EG at a yard a few months back, couldn't figure out for the life of me why it wouldn't come off. 20 minutes later i realise that bracket is still on the underside of the IM, haha. It's been so long since i had it on my motor (removed it for the SC) i'd completely forgotten about the bastard thing.

EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2018, 02:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

1.) Injector Nation is HiProfile’s store and I highly reccomend them.

3.) hondata s300 has anything and everything that you’ll ever need for tuning. If you can afford it, I would use it.

4.) innovate lc-1 can be had for relatively cheap these days and is a good choice. Requires periodic calibration which some newer sensors don’t.

5.) Fuel rail isn’t necessary but offers a good way to mount a gauge on the rail. Aftermarket FPR is required if the pump outflows the injectors at idle or if you want to up the fuel pressure. A vented oil catch can is needed, yes.

6.) Not necessary unless you milled/decked a lot off the head/block but offers some additional tunability.

8.) Ported/shimmed OEM oil pump is your best bet.

9.) OEM water pump.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2018, 10:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Wow, thanks for all the info guys or girls if any.

7. Bracket GONE! I don't know why I hate it so much, Ive put a few of these together and I guess it really bothered me!!

8. and 9. Wish I was patient but I ordered and received the ACL Oil pump and Gates Racing water pump ( can't be bad right? ). BTW, is there some marking on an oem oil pump I can look for on the one this engine has so I can check if its oem?

1. I will definitely reach out to HiProfile. I figure to 1000cc will give me future options. I'm going to see how far I can push this build. I'm pretty sure from the site its the standard tall injectors, not the short ones. I was just wondering on the option where it says 11mm wireless adapters or EV6 clips, which was the right one. I'm pretty set on going with those, waiting for an answer from them, I emailed them on the site.

3. I like the Hondata options but you guys are right. I will check for tuners first and see what they like or what they know first. Anyone know any good in NYC, Westchester area of NY?

4. I am looking into the PLX and the AEM. Is it a problem mounting the PLX into a gauge pod? You guys using the phone app or the pod? AEM has the regular model and a new x-series kit. Anyone worked with that, is it a better option? Difference is literally a few bucks.

5. I will look for a good FPR. I bought an AEM 340lph fuel pump.

anyone make their own catch cans or know who sells them with nice valve covers?

6. I did not have the head shaved, only checked to make sure it was decked, which it was. I ordered a cometic head gasket. Told not change anything right? I 'll look into Cam Gear. Any good brands anyone is using?

Thank You all for your help and all the info. I appreciate it. I'll tell you my cheap eBay build, has begun to get out of control though. NOT a cheap eBay build at this point. Ugh
Old 12-20-2018, 05:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
MuthaFuckaUppa

Rep Power: 17 CripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcano
CripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

PLX gauge is thin, but mounts in a standard diameter gauge hole. 52mm I think, or 2"
I ended up putting a zip tie around the back of mine to hold it in, it does not use mounting screws like normal gauges.

PLX in the center.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Oh boy. Started tear down of donor motor for the crankshaft I need and found a bunch of oil in the transmission housing. Took apart the pressure plate, disk and flywheel of new clutch (less than 1k miles ) and stillen lightweight flywheel. Heres what they look like. Can cleaning these up save them????
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190107_224156_1547003040555.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	358.8 KB
ID:	125429   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190107_224013_1547003070013.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	317.1 KB
ID:	125431   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190107_223831_1547003085140.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	366.7 KB
ID:	125433   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190107_223953_1547003105580.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	335.0 KB
ID:	125435   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190107_224242_1547003283584.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	603.7 KB
ID:	125439  

Old 01-09-2019, 08:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!

Stillen... for Honda? Are you sure?

I don't see anything there that couldn't be reused. Although, replacing just the clutch disc might be worth it. Contact Action Clutch, they will sell you just the friction disc. I'd recommend an unsprung disc, as well.
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2019, 06:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Ok. So I sent my donor crank to get polished and sent my original one to be cut and polished also. The donor came back fine and will fit with the factory sized bearings ( king race ) that I ordered. The original was cut to .10 and I have the matching oversized bearings to match ( king race also ). Question is, both should work perfectly fine since their matched right?? I should have everything now to put it all back together. Looking for some injectors and then the turbo kit. Btw, yes I do have plastigauge and will measure the clearances anyway b4 I close her up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190303_094024_1552531544872.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	384.4 KB
ID:	125701   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190303_093932_1552531560246.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	317.5 KB
ID:	125703   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181206_184504_1552531625463.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	125705  
Old 03-16-2019, 08:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Question....... should I install a block guard or no? Any brands in particular?
Old 03-16-2019, 08:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

no.
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2019, 05:41 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!

block guard needed ,prolly not.
robgoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2019, 02:21 AM   #17 (permalink)
n00b

Ok. Got a lot of my parts in. Started installing the bearings. Started playing with the C Rods, now. I'll be filing down the rings next so I can install them on pistons and pop them in. I did email the crew at speedfactory racing and they gave me the recommended ring gaps for each. They are a very helpful group. Looking for some Injectors, Wideband, oil pressure gauge, Ecu ideas, and then the turbo setup. Thoughts?...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190404_100855_1555582628388.jpg
Size:	442.5 KB
ID:	125873   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190404_104012_1555582703098.jpg
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	125875   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190404_113536_1555582758578.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	225.2 KB
ID:	125877  
Old 04-18-2019, 11:15 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 25 all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!
all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 19 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot94hatch View Post
Ok. Got a lot of my parts in. Started installing the bearings. Started playing with the C Rods, now. I'll be filing down the rings next so I can install them on pistons and pop them in. I did email the crew at speedfactory racing and they gave me the recommended ring gaps for each. They are a very helpful group. Looking for some Injectors, Wideband, oil pressure gauge, Ecu ideas, and then the turbo setup. Thoughts?...
I got some of the parts your looking for. Injector Nation 900's, innovate wideband, and a go auto mini ram. Pm me if you're interested.

RIP SFC Dwayne Torres "Brother in arms"
RIP CALI NOOB
all_rice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2019, 05:34 AM   #19 (permalink)
n00b

Hey Guys, little update. I installed my king race bearings on the mains. Also installed the YCP's and the Speedfactory no notch connecting rods with king race rod bearings. Ended up using the crank that I sent to be polished to factory spec, not the one that I have oversized. I'll probably use that in the stock motor as a spare.

While installing one of the pistons, one of the rings must've slipped out of the compressor and when I was knocking it down, it chipped one of the rings. Luckily I noticed it before I closed it up. Had to order a whole new set from speedfactory, now I have spares.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190503_001537_1558272804162.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	126041

Turbo kit is on the way.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190421_171110_1558272550950.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	342.1 KB
ID:	126033   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190503_000100_1558272606189.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	265.4 KB
ID:	126035   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190503_000310_1558272702938.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	126037   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190503_000341_1558272723628.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	126039  
Old 05-19-2019, 05:37 AM   #20 (permalink)
n00b

Also installed the AEM fuel pump. Pretty easy and this should cover any flow issues.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190508_095501_1558273047971.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	126043   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190508_101829_1558273099374.jpg
Size:	346.9 KB
ID:	126045   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190508_113309_1558273130209.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	279.3 KB
ID:	126047   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190508_123200_1558273162709.jpg
Size:	333.9 KB
ID:	126049  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in