Honda D Series Forum banner

Not even a Honda, but I like it here

7K views 92 replies 18 participants last post by  AutoXCivic 
#1 ·
So after my car was stolen and I got my insurance check ... I set about looking for a new set of wheels. The garage I go to is really liking Subarus so they talked me into going that route. I had initially planned on finding myself a decent GC impreza, but the universe had other plans (as it often does).

Picked it up yesterday. I'll get some more pictures when I get home (had to do it as an attachment, work interwebs won't allow me to photobucket).

2005 Legacy GT Limited (I even managed to find one with a five speed)

It's got higher mileage and the associated quirks (blown strut, some severe bushing wear) but nothing that wasn't going to (realistically) be replaced anyway. There's some small cosmetic issues, like some paint flaking off of the front bumper, but nothing glaring that would turn me away.

Not going to go quite as all out as I was going with the Civic, a few tasteful updates to increase the fun factor, but definitely not going quite as race car.

Definitely can feel the fact that it's much heavier, but still poised and nimble. So far I'm loving it. Going to leave it mostly alone and just do maintenance to get it up to snuff and keep it reliable.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
This plus a few minor tweaks to the OEM tune will go a long way towards longevity.

IBringlandfailuregloomanddoom

Check your oil religiously.

Also, head on over to legacygt.com for some good info and a pretty good group of people.

Even though I don't have a Honda anymore, I still check in over here once in a while.

:)

#6 ·
Came with a Catted downpipe and an up-pipe (with a small crack in it :/) Access Port and a tune is high on the next things to get list.

Getting all fluids flushed and changed on Friday.

Also as a side note: holy hell so that's what torque is!!!

#9 ·
based on what ive learned working on them, subbies need some love at first.

do valvecover gaskets, timing belt, water pump, plugs, fresh exhaust gaskets, new radiator, and expect the belt tensioner bolts and brackets to snap if the slightest bit rusty.

One big payment towards overall maintenance, but the bastard will run another 100k miles with zero problems guarenteed

#10 ·
Yeah it's about 20K from needing a "reseal" which is that whole deal. I'm going to save up the cash and get it done sooner rather than later. This particular beast needs to have the engine pulled for the job so it's a bit expensive.

Actually came with a new radiator too.

We'll see what the tax return brings in and discuss it with the wife.

#11 ·
Ive found in general they are pretty darn tough. I think you will enjoy it quite a bit.

#12 ·
I've done a lot of reading today and I've come to several conclusions:
1) I don't need to do a 6-speed swap ... cool as that might be
2) The whine from the transmission in 1st - 3rd is normal.
3) I may want to source another 5 speed, just to make sure I have one that's in really good condition. I'll have to drop it for a new clutch and front LSD anyway, this would reduce down time.
4) Subarus are expensive.
5) This is going to be fun.

#13 ·
the 5 speeds are very strong boxes.

yes, subarus are expensive. do not falter and attempt any of the cheap aftermarkets.

dont forget though. subaruas have a massive oem interchangability as well. you have a HUGE parts library to build it to your wants and needs. remember that!!

#14 ·
I learned my lesson about cheap parts with my Honda ... not going the same route here (as that would be a much more expensive lesson). Respected name brand or OEM parts are the only thing going on this car.

I've got some of the parts list already sorted out. Doing massive amounts of research for the rest of the bits.

#21 · (Edited)
All right you needy fuckers, took a few pictures:

Arg ... a little dark I'll get a better picture of the wheels later:

Needs a little cosmetic help, but overall pretty clean.

Any other picture requests? I'll get some interior shots later ... kids are getting antsy.

#22 ·
cosmetically, it looks solid though.

perhaps a front lip in the future? looks almost like previous owner ripped his/her lip off and took paint with it

#27 ·
I figured something along those lines, or a poor hole fill job since that is very much not the stock license plate location.

It looks like it had some mild modifications at one point ... perhaps there was a FMIC and the license plate was moved for better air flow or to show it off. There's also some peeling around the headlights ... so maybe they used to have an aftermarket one and this one was stored poorly. Who knows? Getting it repainted properly is on the ever lengthening to do list.

Fluids were flushed yesterday ... and they were all gross. Also a good number of bubbles came out of the right rear brake line, so I'm glad I got all of that done before I head for Vancouver on Monday.

#28 ·
perhaps previous owner thought the subby rep for toughness was "i dont have to do shit" mentality

#31 ·
keep an eye on oil leaks, especially from the oil pressure sender. its fairly common, and can be disguised simply as lack of cleanup from filter change messes.

pcv also tends to get plugged up and can cause decent oil loss randomly.

we had a customer with a tribeca come in for an early oil change due to much lower oil levels, and it took only 1700 miles to get nearly off the dipstick.

issues: pcv clogged, oil sender leaking, filter housing leaking, both valvecovers leaking. at a glance, each was leaking the tiniest bit. gravity + operation = check fluid levels every fuel fill up.

#32 ·
When I first started driving, it was common for car owners to fiddle with and/or service their vehicles at very regular intervals. Over the years, of course, cars became so reliable and service intervals stretched so much that most owners now take what they have for granted.

Subaru have long flown the flag for keeping to these old ways. Most Hondas (especially non-vtecs) can give long service to people with no mechanical sympathy whatsoever. The Justy is the only Scooby that can match Honda in this respect.

But paying attention to what the car needs is amply rewarded.

(Mind you, there are loads of cars I'd rather have than an Impreza!)

#33 ·
When I first started driving, it was common for car owners to fiddle with and/or service their vehicles at very regular intervals. Over the years, of course, cars became so reliable and service intervals stretched so much that most owners now take what they have for granted.

Subaru have long flown the flag for keeping to these old ways. Most Hondas (especially non-vtecs) can give long service to people with no mechanical sympathy whatsoever. The Justy is the only Scooby that can match Honda in this respect.

But paying attention to what the car needs is amply rewarded.

(Mind you, there are loads of cars I'd rather have than an Impreza!)

I never skipped regular checkups with my Honda either ... for the most part. I don't plan on changing that this time around.

I'm really glad I ended up with a legacy instead of an impreza ... hooray room.

#34 ·
Sweet can't wait to meet her. There is a weird Subi crowd up here, if you lived closer I would send you to PRE on Airport way, I know the shop manager, and they know subies, COBB down in the Tualatin area too, I know the main tuner there. Any way, nice choice.

Reactions: slo_eg8
#35 · (Edited)
The boys at Garage 808 have turned Subie too ... and they're a five minute drive from home.

Actually when my car got stolen the owner suggested I buy a Subaru, and he's a die hard Honda guy ... but he doesn't like the newer Hondas as much, and the older ones are just getting to be clapped out.

#36 ·
There's loads to like about these cars:-
a) The general purposefulness of the shape is just right.
b) The car outperforms just about every stock Honda except for an NSX3.2.
c) Character? Can be bland - I actually prefer the Prelude to drive and the D-series Teg reminds me a lot of the cars I had years ago.

I just wish I knew someone who could tidy up the engine bay ....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.