Impromptu togue run, my EJ1 vs Cobalt SS - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else Races/Shows/Events

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2008, 10:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Nor Cal D-series rider

Import Al It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Import Al Send a message via Yahoo to Import Al
Default Impromptu togue run, my EJ1 vs Cobalt SS

Don't you guys love it when your cruising a nice stretch of road you know well and see someone fly by, so you give chase? Well that's what happened today on my way to work.

I live off a WILD road in the foothills of Nor*Cal. This area is far removed from the modern living you find in SoCal or the metrosexual "I'm in my blue Prius bumping 'Blue Man Group' talking on my Bluetooth checking my Blueberry & have blue balls from my pounding my blue haired boyslave" San Francisco shit. Out here are mostly hard working blue-collar folk & drug fiends.

This is my commute:

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Loch+Lomond,+Uninc+Lake+County,+CA&geoc ode=&dirflg=&daddr=Middletown,+CA&f=d&sll=38.86046 ,-122.7207&sspn=0.012381,0.025921&ie=UTF8&ll=38.8233 93,-122.699089&spn=0.1982,0.414734&t=h&z=12

It rocks! The last 6 miles are flatland highway, but the beginning takes me down a pass between Boggs & Cobb Mt., dropping 1800 ft. in about 7 miles. Perfect esses, chicanes, switchbacks, hairpins & widening and narrowing radii downhillers that only real drivers appreciate.
Well, I get to the stop where I enter the highway as a Sunburst Orange Cobalt SS coupe rips by, looked like deece..

Decent competition. I highlighted my suspicions; his car has better acceleration, I have better handling & brakes.

0 - 60 (sec): 6.96
1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 15.42 @ 96.98
200 ft skidpad (average G): 0.89
600 ft slalom (mph): 69.0
60 - 0 (ft): 120.15

So I pull out and mash 1-2-3rd and am about 250 ft. back when he notices me and drops a gear, making the SC'ed Ecotec 2.0 whistle as we climb uphill. I'm now less than 2 cars behind, flooring my D16Z6 to stay on him. The grip from 205/50/15's General Exclaim UHP's on 10.8lb Konig Heliums is letting me close even harder, as we double every turns posted limit in frenetic tandem.

It's 4 PM on a Friday so roads are desolate, but we do manage to come up on a Volvo who thankfully pulls off. Bad timing tho, as a straightaway gives him time to add nearly 4 cars on me. But he brakes for his corner much sooner and I get back under 3 lengths. Now we enter a very scary section, lined by 100 ft. pine trees that hurt visibility and left moisture on the road from yesterdays rain. He goes cautiously thru here, well I get so close I could ram him but chose to not employ the P.I.T. maneuver lol.

Now I notice the sunroof is closed, he's serious! Again comes a fast sweeping stretch where his 205 hp beats 135-ish, but brakes early and quickly has the "H" badge in his rearview again. As we near the bottom, he starts crossing the double-yellow and wringing out his gears to no avail. The brilliant Honda independent double wishbone suspension just holds more speed before slipping, the 11.1" Type R brakes violently halt me miliseconds before that "Oh Sh!t" moment would happen.. He is doing all he can, but I give him no more than 15 ft. of mercy space incase he loses it.

Now in the last dark, tree lined section he again goes over the center line, this time by about 4 feet. I see him WHIP it back into his lane & getting a little sideways, narrowly escaping 20 tons of garbage truck! At this point I've proven Civic > Cobalt on my road, so I give him another 2 lengths as to not panic him & cause a wreck. We hit the bottom & are on the 6 mile stretch outside of town. We get behind a truck and both pass him at the first opening. I hate my LX tranny, but even passing the truck in 3rd @ a tick above 4K from 55 mph, he only pulls ~3 cars ahead & stops gaining, again losing every bit of lead thru the 2 last windy sections.

When we get into town, he goes North & I go South, exchanging thumbs up & stupid grins. He looked about 18, the lucky youngster reminded me of myself back then. He definitely had skill, but I'm not very surprised I out-togued a FWD Chevy lol.

Oh, heres some old pix of my '93 EX before Konigs/brakes. Has only:

AEM CAI
Edelbrock header
??? Springs/KYB shocks
15" Konig Heliums & 205/50 General Exclaim UHPs
4x100 ITR brakes
15/16" master cylinder
Ford/Motorcraft 550* F brake fluid
Weight reduction
All the above cost me under $3K total, car included & ran harder thru the hills than a $23,000 car. to

Sorry for the novel, hope you enjoyed!

Last edited by Import Al; 03-15-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Import Al is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2008, 10:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 25 cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cory jordan Send a message via MSN to cory jordan

i enjoyed your story. but be careful of dummies in domestics =P hahah j/k

haha edit:. if you would have had the ex trans... best motoring would have came out and declared you teh winnarz ; since you kept with him on the lx trans. that to me is funny.. i do now like the cobalts this much less.

Last edited by cory jordan; 03-15-2008 at 12:13 AM.
cory jordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2008, 12:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Nor Cal D-series rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory jordan View Post
i enjoyed your story. but be careful of dummies in domestics =P hahah j/k

haha edit:. if you would have had the ex trans... best motoring would have came out and declared you teh winnarz ; since you kept with him on the lx trans. that to me is funny.. i do now like the cobalts this much less.
Haha for realz B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuchiya San
The Honda is more ah stable.. like a ahh redneck version of my dopefreshhotlikeachimichanga NSX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orido San
Yes ah, Keiichi you are correct. But redneck driver in Japanese car will never beat the Japanese Redneck in JGTC LAWLZ. Best Motoring declares t3h Honda WINNARZ!!1

I bet when Cobalt dude saw my asstastic paint job, dented fender & scratched as fawk lip when we reached the stoplight he was like...

Old 03-16-2008, 08:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
d-series resident crybaby

Rep Power: 14 3rdgenhatchdx is starting to learn the ropes3rdgenhatchdx is starting to learn the ropes3rdgenhatchdx is starting to learn the ropes3rdgenhatchdx is starting to learn the ropes3rdgenhatchdx is starting to learn the ropes3rdgenhatchdx is starting to learn the ropes3rdgenhatchdx is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

LOL wtf... good story
3rdgenhatchdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2008, 12:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Nor Cal D-series rider

Glad you enjoyed my tale of triumph. I would have past him & never looked back @ the bottom of the mountain if I had an EX/Si gearbox & probably just an exhaust & my P28 ECU tuned.. Cobalt SS/Ion Red Lines noticeably stop scooting in 3rd and fall on their face hard in 4th & 5th.. It seemed pretty gutsy below 60 mph for sure tho.

The car appeared stock & the driver seemed like a good guy too.
It had very little body roll, a lot of grip & quick steering.. just not quite double-wishbone 92-95 Civic good. And brakes? They seemed straight doodoo next to mine.. I'll edit & post a shot of the actual setup, but I have redrilled 4x100 rotors, stock pads, calipers & brackets from one of these little devils.. Except my car is 270 lbs lighter!

Old 03-24-2008, 09:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I test drove a Cobalt SS w/LSD option while my dad's Vette was in the shop. It drove well enough. I hated the shifter, but the car handled very well for a stock ride, especially with the LSD. Would I spend $22K on one? Hell no, but they are leaps and bounds above the old J bodies.
Sushiboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2008, 10:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
CR-Vtakin

Rep Power: 48 Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Levi Send a message via MSN to Levi

I seriously need to come over and lay the smackdown on these guys dont i? lake county needs a smackdown from my civic again, it has been too long.

1996 Acura Integra LS Sedan

Laying Claim To My Own Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1996 Integra Project Car:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2008, 12:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Nor Cal D-series rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushiboy
I test drove a Cobalt SS w/LSD option while my dad's Vette was in the shop. It drove well enough. I hated the shifter, but the car handled very well for a stock ride, especially with the LSD. Would I spend $22K on one? Hell no, but they are leaps and bounds above the old J bodies.
Yeah they are EON's ahead of Cavys & Sunfires.. What a quantum leap forward from those dinosaurs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
I seriously need to come over and lay the smackdown on these guys dont i? lake county needs a smackdown from my civic again, it has been too long.
Yessir, it has! Bring your stank butt down here man, these ricer & domestic clowns need to see what a clean, fast import should look & perform like!

Oh oh guys, the above story happened in almost the exact same sequence & outcome last Saturday on my way to work. The only differences were that the car I chased opened up bigger gaps on the straighter portions that closed embarrassingly faster in the corners than the Cobalt SS. Also, its a fun 5-spd domestic icon that makes 260 hp / 302 lbs tq & was built from 1999 to 2004... *Jeopardy theme song*

You guessed it, a Ford Mustang GT droptop. Dude's looked like this, nice car & appeared stock:

When I got up behind him, the top was down & he was blasting AC/DC's "Back In Black." No classic metal was emanating from the GT once we hit town. He anxiously parked right where the sidewalk began so I did likewise.

The guy JUMPED out of the Mustang to check out my car & exclaimed "That fucker giits it man, its pretty fast! What's it got done?" God I felt good saying "Wheels & tires, brakes & lowering springs. The engine just has an intake & header. Oh, it has a 30% taller-than-stock tranny."
He essentially called :bull:I proceeded to pop the hood and sure enough their was no swap, forced induction or NAWZ of any sort.. Just a dirty little D16Z6 with an intake, header & stock exhaust. I guess I know exactly how fast I can push this car into corners before it heavily understeers or 4-wheel drifts me into the cemetery... 100+ mph corner entries make most affordable performance cars chassis' show their true colors.. or their driver's sanity!

: 2 , Chevy & Ford : 0 lol.

Last edited by Import Al; 03-25-2008 at 02:47 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 25 cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cory jordan Send a message via MSN to cory jordan

hahah i think i need to visit this road .... be careful doggy, its not just you on teh roadz
cory jordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2008, 04:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I love seeing the "underdog" kick some serious rear.
D15BCPE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2008, 06:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
CR-Vtakin

Rep Power: 48 Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Levi Send a message via MSN to Levi

Al, we are going Lake county ricer hunting here soon.

1996 Acura Integra LS Sedan

Laying Claim To My Own Thread:

1996 Integra Project Car:
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2008, 04:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
d-series Member

hatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Import Al View Post
Oh oh guys, the above story happened in almost the exact same sequence & outcome last Saturday on my way to work. The only differences were that the car I chased opened up bigger gaps on the straighter portions that closed embarrassingly faster in the corners than the Cobalt SS. Also, its a fun 5-spd domestic icon that makes 260 hp / 302 lbs tq & was built from 1999 to 2004... *Jeopardy theme song*

You guessed it, a Ford Mustang GT droptop. Dude's looked like this, nice car & appeared stock:

When I got up behind him, the top was down & he was blasting AC/DC's "Back In Black." No classic metal was emanating from the GT once we hit town. He anxiously parked right where the sidewalk began so I did likewise.

The guy JUMPED out of the Mustang to check out my car & exclaimed "That fucker giits it man, its pretty fast! What's it got done?" God I felt good saying "Wheels & tires, brakes & lowering springs. The engine just has an intake & header. Oh, it has a 30% taller-than-stock tranny."
He essentially called :bull:I proceeded to pop the hood and sure enough their was no swap, forced induction or NAWZ of any sort.. Just a dirty little D16Z6 with an intake, header & stock exhaust. I guess I know exactly how fast I can push this car into corners before it heavily understeers or 4-wheel drifts me into the cemetery... 100+ mph corner entries make most affordable performance cars chassis' show their true colors.. or their driver's sanity!

: 2 , Chevy & Ford : 0 lol.
woot for you, i out cornered a dude driving a drop top mustang cobra... no straights all corners and my pos honda dx hatch on 17x7's stock everything else left him behind at rather high mph boo to too much power in the corners- its all about control
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in