Took the 4dr to a track - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else Races/Shows/Events

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2006, 09:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 strykersd is almost a somebodystrykersd is almost a somebodystrykersd is almost a somebodystrykersd is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Default Took the 4dr to a track

So last friday I took my 97' 4dr civic out to Qualcomm Stadium here in San Diego for a racelegal event. We have a 1/8 mile track. It was cool, I got 21 runs it. Here's my mod list and best time.

97 Honda Civic 4dr
- full interior
- D16y7/z6 mini-me
- 4-1 header
- flowmaster american thunder axleback
- no cat
- AEM underdrive pulleys
- Stock P28 ECU with conversion harness
- Y8 IM
- AEM SRI

Here's my fastest time

I'm not so happy with the setup, since I ran an 11.1 with a DX tranny, wrong ECU (P2P on Z6), stock header, cat and muffler. I was hoping to at least run a 10.5. I'll be going back in two weeks, so I just ordered a Hondata IM gasket, hoping to pick up a little more power. Maybe I'll even try raising the hood with washers seeing if engine bay temps go down. Everything helps, right? Originally I planned on just adding I/H/E and a few more bolt ons, but now i crave more power, I really want at least a low ten second 1/8 mile. So now I'm considering a big cam, turbo, or possibly a swap (B18b for the torque to push around a 4dr, only if it's more cost efficent). But I'll get the car dyno'd on 10/14, before I make my decision. I wasn't too happy about how the car ran, but in better news I won a raffle for a Sony Explode stereo with free install. But thinking about it, when it was a stock automatic Y7 4dr it would of ran what, a 12 flat 1/8?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	12687  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by strykersd; 09-25-2006 at 03:15 PM.
strykersd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2006, 02:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 17 konigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

go with the turbo, you will never think twice about it once its done..

konigcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2006, 03:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 strykersd is almost a somebodystrykersd is almost a somebodystrykersd is almost a somebodystrykersd is almost a somebody

Konig, what times are you running with your boosted 4 dr?

Old 09-25-2006, 03:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 15 93civiccx is a name known to all93civiccx is a name known to all93civiccx is a name known to all93civiccx is a name known to all93civiccx is a name known to all93civiccx is a name known to all93civiccx is a name known to all93civiccx is a name known to all93civiccx is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

It definitely should of been faster. Your 60 foot times are horrible. Get your 60 foot times down. Don't go turbo or anything else until you finally reach your lowest time. I had a 93 civic cx hatch with a d15b7, cx tranny, 4-2-1 header, 2.5 inch exhaust, and a 40 series flowmaster. My 60 foot was a 2.35 and my 1/8th time was a 10.24 @ 68.29. Your setup should be at least that low. Just keep practicing your launch. Don't add anymore mods til you reach atleast a 10.30 in the 1/8th.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 15 93civiccx is a name known to all93civiccx is a name known to all93civiccx is a name known to all93civiccx is a name known to all93civiccx is a name known to all93civiccx is a name known to all93civiccx is a name known to all93civiccx is a name known to all93civiccx is a name known to all

By the way glad you had fun. it's addictive isn't it?
Old 09-25-2006, 04:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

How can I get the 60 ft times down? My setup consists of an EX tranny, open diff, 205/50/15 all weather tires, eibach springs and an upper strut bar. Is there a special technique for launching hondas? I'll try to stop myself from buying more parts, but I just picked up some Skunk 2 coilovers and I've had the lower strut bar in my garage waiting to be put on. And yeah, drag racing is addictive. This was my fourth time to the track, plus since I volunteer to tear down, I race for free. hhmm, i'm wondering how your hatch ran a 10.2, isn't the weight between a hatch and 4dr only like 200lbs? Maybe my ignition timing is a little off, can anyone refresh my memory to what P28s ignition timing is supposed to be at idle? Thanks

Old 09-25-2006, 05:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 DirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Your 60' is totally what ruined your time. You should look into tuning it with Crome to make more power.

I'm 10-flat @ 70 (15.76 @ 87) with 2.39 60's. I can't wait to get better tires and 2.2 60's. Better 60's is the only way to get faster if you don't plan on changing much.
DirtyDC4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2006, 06:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

And how can I get those better 60' times? I've played with air pressures, that didn't yeild much gains.

Old 09-25-2006, 06:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
I can't read...

Rep Power: 41 myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 48 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by konigcivic
go with the turbo, you will never think twice about it once its done..
yep...
i love to rape kids...*silence*

let me touch you.
myHonda1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2006, 08:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 17 konigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by strykersd
Konig, what times are you running with your boosted 4 dr?
no idea, i havnt been to the track since last year.last year i was boosted but running an auto trans and the afc hack..

its all different now, converted to 5 speed and running crome. once i get all the little stuff worked out mid 13's will be easy.

konigcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2006, 08:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 15 little white crx is learning the way of the Dlittle white crx is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

running only 65mph the car should go no faster than 10.4s 1/8th at very best from what i ve seen your right where you should be with that mph in order to hit a 9.99 you are going to need atleast 69 mph and the only way to get mph is horsepower about 20 more wheel horsepower will get you easily in the 9's. (these are estimates based on street tires w/ slicks you can dip ets way lower with the same mph just because of 60fts)

as for everyone saying your 60ft is horrible, yes a 2.50 is crappy but im guessing your on stock 185 series tires with a heavy four door which is killing your 60ft.

ps incase your curious your car will run somewhere between 16.4s and 16.6s 1/4 at about 80 mph the time slip looks identical to my old auto dpfi setup that was in my crx 4 years ago
little white crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2006, 09:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
The H Badge is it!

Rep Power: 20 SOHC_Rules is hot as a volcanoSOHC_Rules is hot as a volcano
SOHC_Rules is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 30 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SOHC_Rules

those all season tires are killing you man

get something better.... and boost it!
Old 09-25-2006, 09:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Yeah I had a feeling the tires were hurting my times. They are pretty nice daily driver tires, but oh well. I have 8 steelies sitting around and a $75 refund from Discount tire, so I'll go in and see if I can get a set of decent performance summer tires just for the track.

Old 09-27-2006, 12:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Just keep trying different launch methods. Some people like riding the clutch. I like the controlled spin method. Dump the clutch and let it spin, but pedal it so it doesn't spin wild, but light spin but working the throttle. That way you keep pour rpms up so it doesn't bog.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 Misfit will become famous soon enoughMisfit will become famous soon enoughMisfit will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Misfit

ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........reaction time. work on launching your car and wake up when you race. i learned by going to a random straight stretch road near my house and launching over and over again until i thought it felt right. try to learn the timing on the lights at you track too. good luck. rep those 4 drs!!

Misfit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2006, 12:19 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Oh there is one thing I forgot to mention. Since our 1/8 mile track was orignially a stadium parking lot our drag strip has a slight incline, so you're actually racing uphill. Another thing I just discovered is that it is really hard to get traction at this track. I wonder how much time this can account for. Plus it'd be nice if I had some torque for the slight uphill. I'll try to visit a flat track some time, theres the Barona speedway about 20 miles away, only problem is that the majority of the cars there run 7s 1/8s. But I hear you get really great traction up there.

Last edited by strykersd; 10-01-2006 at 01:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in