Video from race at Sebring 10/6/12 - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else Races/Shows/Events

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 latapx  is accepted as part of the communitylatapx  is accepted as part of the communitylatapx  is accepted as part of the communitylatapx  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Default Video from race at Sebring 10/6/12

Not sure where to post this...so I figured this is the spot.

Anyways, enjoy!

This was race #1...I'll see if I can get race #2 up soon.

Like what I had to say??? - Add REP!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 FARA MP-4B Sprint & Endurance Champion
latapx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 mattbatson is learning the way of the Dmattbatson is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

so any info on the car?
were there any other cars on track in your class?
Was that grey evo in your class?

I'm seeing some time in both turn one and the last turn, but I'm not sure if you posted this for critique?

I would just try slowing a little less on entry into both of those turns...little at a time...and you might be surprised by how much speed you can carry into those two fast corners.
and the most time to be made on a track is the fast corners
mattbatson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 latapx  is accepted as part of the communitylatapx  is accepted as part of the communitylatapx  is accepted as part of the communitylatapx  is accepted as part of the community

Trust me, I have NO issues with critique! I'm usually the one dishing it out the hardest on myself. Fortunately (for data's sake) and unfortunately (for my ego sometimes) I have data acquisition in the car. This makes it VERY easy to see where I'm screwing up! There was A LOT of that going on this past weekend!

Some details:

Last time I was at Sebring was June of 2010! WAY too long to be away from a particular track. There have been changes to the car since...but more details...and NUMBERS...after all, I'm an Engineer!

June 2010
Best lap time 2:38.8
Tires - Hoosier R6
Car weight - 2,152 with driver
Car Power - 120whp on a good day

Oct 2012
Best lap time 2:38.3
Tires - Toyo RA1 shaved
Car weight - 2,120 with driver
Car power - 150+whp

Looking over the data, I was slower than before in EVERY corner without exception. Available grip from the tires has some part to play, but not all of the blame. A perfect example of this was turn 1. The minimum speed through this corner on my fastest lap was 81MPH...back in June 2010 it was 91MPH. 10MPH delta is a huge difference. I'll give the tires 3-4 MPH difference in grip levels and the rest was the driver who never had a chance to get comfortable. In the same manner, to describe the difference the extra power made...although my minimum speed through Turn 1 was 10 MPH slower, by the time I made it to the braking zone for turn 3, i was 4 MPH quicker then before. This new motor boogies!

According to the data...my theoretical fastest lap (the software takes quickest sectors from various laps and puts them together to form a theoretical fastest lap) would have been 2:36.2 if my brain would have been functioning long enough to make it happen. Unfortunately, I missed the morning practice session due to a faulty electrical kill switch on the car and qualifying was only 2 laps due to a close friend stuffing his car into the wall hard. At the drop of the flag i had completed 2 laps on the track in 2+ years and was still thinking about my biy who was hurt. I wasn't going to go for gold at the moment. My head just wasn't in it. My friend who crashed would have been my closest competition with a K-swapped EK coupe. We were running similar times. The other 2 cars in class were behind me and their fastest lap times were off of the pace...I actually lapped one of them (red/white/blue EF hatch) towards the end of the race. None of the cars I passed (with the exception of the hatch), or that passed me were in my class...i was just mixing it up with whomever was around and trying to keep my nose clean.

Info on the car...D16A6 massaged to @150whp, typical custom Koni's with GC springs, ST front sway bar and ASP rear. All spherical suspension pickup points. 4.9FD, helical LSD. Fastbrakes 11.75" 4 pistons front brakes and integra rear disc brakes. Nothing crazy or out of the ordinary...just a lot of attention to detail where it matters.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 mattbatson is learning the way of the Dmattbatson is learning the way of the D

well I'm no expert on sebring myself.
I ran the short course once and the long course...or whatever they call it....once.

from my short experience there, I seemed to see those two corners as giving most drivers the biggest problems.
The final bridge corner for obvious reasons due to it being blind and very bumpy
I never got it fully mastered in that one weekend.
I got to see chip herr's data after the weekend and saw that I was doing it wrong and had lots of time to gain there.
Turn one I got pretty good though.

I would approach each lap trying to increase my entry speed just a little bit each time.
It is tough because again it is blind and it is fast.
I got it to the point where I was fighting traction all the way through and all the way to track out on the right curbing at the exit.

Dont remember exactly what I was running there in my SCCA ITB car, but I think it was around 2:39...but I'd have to go back and check.
I ran a 1989 suzuki swift GTi that dynoed out at 93hp. The torque actually didnt register on the dyno
but the car was light and the brakes were big.
I always ran RA-1's. they were cheap and wore like iron and didnt go off like hoosiers.

I had to stop when the son was born....our discretionary income went out the window , lol

I"m nobody special, but just know one or two things, and am perhaps a better critiquer than a driver, ha ha.
mattbatson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 16 SOHCitTOem is hot as a volcanoSOHCitTOem is hot as a volcano
SOHCitTOem is hot as a volcanoSOHCitTOem is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 20 reviews

that's some nice driving man! do you have a build thread on the car?

built single cam.

track tool.
SOHCitTOem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

Any more info on the engine?

89s1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Where's the drag strip?
Anti-Ricer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

track > strip
driver > car

built single cam.

track tool.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

The others drive around looking for the track
Anti-Ricer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 07:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89s1 View Post
Any more info on the engine?
https://www.d-series.org/forums/natur...uild-dyno.html

Old 11-01-2012, 07:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Ricer View Post
Where's the drag strip?
Between Turn 16 - 17 and 17 - 1.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:31 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHCitTOem View Post
that's some nice driving man! do you have a build thread on the car?
I posted a link on the engine information, but in all honesty I've been pretty bad about documenting stuff as it got done. The car is a 91 Si with a cage built by Gary Pyle who has done some of the Speedsource RX8's. Suspension is full bearing with custom Koni yellow's and GC sleeves with Eibach springs. ST from sway bar, AST rear bar. Camber/caster adjustment, explicit traction bar. Brakes are fastbrakes 11.8" kist int he front with Wilwood 4-piston calipers and Integra rear disks. 15x8 wheels with 205/50-15 Toyo or Hoosier (this video had Toyo). Tranny has carbon coated synchros, a 4.9FD and helical LSD. I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of crap...but that gives you a general idea of what I'm dealing with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	242587com.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	33054  

Old 11-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

pretty sweet man. How are the wilwood calipers working out? are using the dynalites?

built single cam.

track tool.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

The calipers are Dynapros...they are radial mount rather than axial mount like the Dynalite and therefore MUCH stiffer.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

I see, that's the reason why I asked. I've read that dynalites were prone to flexing because of the design. Those are some beastly brakes man!

If you don't mind me asking, how much have you spent all together? I'm planning a build for similar purpose of road course. But I'd probably concentrate on actual track time instead of throwing money at the car. I'm sure you have years of experience tracking.

built single cam.

track tool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in