Ractive Gauge Face Overlays - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Product Reviews

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2004, 08:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Prowler

First off, I should've looked closer at the eBay auction and not won gauge faces that are for an automatic.

Second, if it says Toucan, Ractive, or Eurolite, don't buy it.

Their gauge faces are just overlays and not electro-luminescence (sp?). Meaning the numbers on the gauge faces are transparent so the stock dash lights work through.

Two downsides to this. First thing is they don't line up very well so the numbers don't light up very good. Second, the two bulbs above the gauge cluster make the white faced gauges look like crap. But if you take those out, you can't see the white needles at night.

During the day, the gauges look fairly good. But because of their poor nighttime use, I'm gonna replace them eventually in the future.

I'll go with what my Accord had; mutlicolored reverse indiglow gauges. The whole gauge face lighted up white with blue/green numbers. The trouble will be finding red/white gauges that do the same. Until then, I'll use these $5 gauge faces.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2004, 04:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
ridin on rotas

Rep Power: 16 gftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to gftgrill

so I just bought some from ebay a couple of weeks ago. they were arospeed I think. anyway this is how they look

I bought a small bottle of scratch paint from orielly's. I think it's the supra red, can't remember.

From the looks of it, you didn't remove the plastic covering both sides. until I removed those, I had a hell of time seeing my guages due to the reflection.

if you paint your needles, you'll have no problems with these, but if you want to buy reverse glows that only last a month then so be it, thought I'd give you some insight to what I did, and I love how everything turned out.
gftgrill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2004, 07:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Prowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gftgrill
From the looks of it, you didn't remove the plastic covering both sides. .
what exactly are you talking about?

and sorry for the crappy picture. i took it with my palm pilot lol.

Old 05-14-2004, 08:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
ridin on rotas

Rep Power: 16 gftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to all

there is a very think clear plastic covering both sides. I didn't notice it until I put it back together and couldn't really see the gauges. I found them when I pulled it back apart to paint the needles.

It's takes a little work get off the plastic. it's like when you buy a new tv or something and the remote has that clear plastic over all of the printed stuff on the remote. All you have to do is peel it off. but maybe yours doesn't have this. but from how shiny the guages look, I would say that they do.

I suggest running your fingers around the outside and trying to pull at that plastic. it's kinda hard to get started, but when you get it started, it's very easy.
Old 05-14-2004, 06:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Prowler

now i see the film. i gotta pull me dash apart again lol...

anyways, did you pull those two bulbs out that are above the cluster?
Old 05-16-2004, 06:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
ridin on rotas

nope, I left all of the bulbs the same. I just painted the needles and screwed in the overlays. the white faces look kinda grey at night. but other than that I like them. let me know if that helps you out. Hope you like them when you're done and decide to not go with indiglow gauges.
gftgrill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2004, 07:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Prowler

removed the plastic film today. the gauges still suck at night. in the day they look ok.

i'll still go with indiglows. i bought some off of ebay for my accord and they worked awesome for well over a year. i still believe they're working good, but i haven't talked to the kid who bought my car for a while.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

makku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to makku Send a message via MSN to makku Send a message via Yahoo to makku

I will have an answer to your problems in a couple of weeks... I can't say more. It's a product I am developing, so things are a little hush-hush I'll update when I can.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
forecast for tomorrow... a few sprinkles of genius with a chance for DOOM!
Quote:
But I thought you said TV was bad?
It is... but we fucking need it.
makku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2004, 08:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to freeturkeys

mysterious...
Old 06-07-2004, 08:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

makku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussie
Send a message via AIM to makku Send a message via MSN to makku Send a message via Yahoo to makku

Testing phase... needs some work, but you get the idea. A new lighting system for your gauge cluster I'll have stuff for sale in a couple of weeks. Should work for EGs and I think EFs too. In a variety of colors.

Pictures are a little bit overexposed due to a camera phone... BUT keep in mind this is lit in the daytime.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-23-2004, 02:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
Shackle me NOT!!!

flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....

^^^^^^..........whatever happened to this?.......get anything done?
flatfourfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2004, 04:35 AM   #12 (permalink)

the stuff is sitting in my closet gathering dust

I haven't had any time to mess with it at all... the problem I need to work out is getting the light to show through evenly, instead of having super-bright patches here and there.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-23-2004, 04:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
Shackle me NOT!!!

flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....

good idea though.........I want to do something fresh with my cluster, just dunno yet..........looking for ideas..........
flatfourfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2004, 07:39 AM   #14 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 17 green_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eagle

looks like makku's been having too much fun with LEDs or something
green_hornet_96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2004, 12:12 PM   #15 (permalink)

eh, not LEDs... something else

but it was one of those projects where I thought, "piece of cake" but it turned out not to be. I will make it work right one of these days when I have the time. In fact, that shit is mounted in my car right now... it's just not even brightness all around. I haven't bothered to remove it yet . But it is fucking bright as hell at night. I see people staring at my gauges...

(they probably think I'm a ricer... that, or really fucking cool )

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-23-2004, 06:58 PM   #16 (permalink)

Top Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

cool makku

tough luck prowler, u always seem to have bad luck man
Top Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in