Suspension Techniques sway bars - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Product Reviews

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2004, 06:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
EGR

Here's a review about my experience with the Suspension Techniques sway bars.

specs:
<-- not the exact foto
suspension techniques for 96-00 civics - F:15/16"(25mm) R:3/4"(19mm)

eibach (for comparison) anti-roll kit for 96-00 civics - F:25mm R:17mm

why I bought them:
coz they make a set for civics(!) and have one of the thickest rear bars out there for 6th gens (3/4" or 19mm). the SB cost me around US$300 front+rear+brackets new two years ago, and it seemed like a deal compared to other brands and factory SI bars.

my expectations:
when cornering, my DX used to lean like grandma reaching for the ribbon candy she dropped underneath the chair she's in. the obvious choice would be to get stiffer springs but the SB can achieve the same result without screwing up the factory shock/spring settings or suspension geometry, and also I find it beautiful that, with SB, the inside springs actually help increase the rate of the outside springs during cornering, effectively reducing sway and maintaining contact patch. not to mention carefully choosen front and rear bar diameters can cure understeering, which is a pain for our FF civics. in short, SB is way better choice than springs if you don't have much to spend. so don't bullshit me if you slam your SB-less 'vic to the ground and say you want to improve handling.

installation:
if we compare suspension techniques to eibach SB, ST is relatively more difficult to install at the rear because it doesn't use the factory mount holes. you need to drill one hole for each mounting bracket and rotate the rear shocks 180 degrees to bolt on the bar ends [illustrated in photo].

result:
day and night. I can corner about 40% faster and with more confidence (due to the ability to give more gas during the turn without fear of understeering). the squeeking of the urathane bushings were a bit annoying at first but now I don't even hear them. one thing you have to be aware of is that driving habit needs to be changed after the SB. it's now a lot harder to recover from highway emergency menoeuvers (so I guess manufacturers put in understeering for a reason). and don't even think about letting go of the gas in the middle of a long turn at full speed... or get ready to counter steer.

my thoughts:
no regrets, the performance gain was worth every dollar spent and more. the thick rear bar of ST makes my civic corner like dream. :thumb: for street use I think some people might prefer the eibach for ease of installation and safety (smaller rear bar = less oversteer = safer). my $0.02

my rusty sways
Rear:

Front:
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2004, 06:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool User Title Here

Location: 7.5 hours north of Modshxcivic, 6.5 hours north of Rexinre's house (he says only 5 hours) (MAINE)
Rep Power: 24 Honda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcano
Honda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Honda4VW Send a message via MSN to Honda4VW Send a message via Yahoo to Honda4VW

Nice write up!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Honda4VW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2004, 05:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
EGR

thanx, civic4ges! I was taking some "before" photos of my car before getting new springs on. then I thought to myself: I wish the SB was not tied to the shock, coz that makes the job harder.

just thought I'd give you guys a heads up about the ST SB.

Old 05-06-2004, 05:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

your comment about less over steer with the Eibachs..........

I see different, been known to "drift" my 5g HB with the Eibach kit.

Each driver has their different likes........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2004, 02:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
EGR

I have no experience with the 5g eibach kit. I'll take your word for it, transzex. I'm not saying with eibach it would not oversteer (I'm sure it will), rather I'm saying with ST it will oversteer more (to a point I think I'm putting my life at risk, haha, hence my opinion about eibach being safer). just by numbers the 6g ST rear bars are thicker than the eibach ones (12% increase in diameter is about 25% increase in stiffness), and I can tell you my hatch is very tail happy.
Old 05-16-2004, 07:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
YellowVtec

nice write up thanks....will be taking your advice!
Old 05-18-2004, 07:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 17 konigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

i put the kit on my cousin's 99 gsr with the lower tie brace. it was awesome.. i would do it to mine but it costs to much.. all i did to mine was lower it and put the urathane sway bar bushings in the front and even just that made it handle alot better...
konigcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2004, 04:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

while the bar may me thicker, the pickup point GREATLT effects leverage.

I've only had the Eibach kit and am perfectly happy with it on MY car and MY driving style.

Just MY opinion........

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2004, 08:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
EGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex
while the bar may me thicker, the pickup point GREATLT effects leverage.

I've only had the Eibach kit and am perfectly happy with it on MY car and MY driving style.

Just MY opinion........
I agree. so mounting it further from the lower arm's pivot point makes the bar stronger or weaker?
Old 05-21-2004, 10:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
ridin on rotas

Rep Power: 16 gftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to gftgrill

I don't think that it makes the bar "weaker" or "stronger", but actually effects over/under steer. I used to have the type where it mounted to the rear shocks, and it felt normal, then I switched to a ST sway/tie bar combo

I find it very easy "drift" my car now. both bars that I use(d) are 22mm.
but the over all effect of the bar during corners I feel are the same. they both make the rear end stay very flat to the ground. but I think the sway bar that I had by it self could hold the rear end to the ground as well as the sway/tie bar combo that I now have. I did not have a tie bar with the first sway bar either.
gftgrill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2004, 12:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
EGR

I meant stronger as in more effective.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
ridin on rotas

Rep Power: 16 gftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to gftgrill

I feel they were equally effective at keeping the rear tires in place.
gftgrill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in