Dynatech 4-1 Header Review - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Product Reviews

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2004, 07:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Recently I purchased a Dynatech 4-1 header for my 94 Z6. So far, I am impressed with the quality and the power increase. First of all, I will list my setup:

92 VX Chassis (with 230k miles, stock suspension/springs/shocks)
94 Si Drivetrain/exhaust (completely stock with about 100k miles)

Performance increase:

After installing the Z6, I purchased a G-tech Comp Pro to "guage" any performance increases that I would make from tuning/bolt-ons. After learning how to launch pretty consistantly (2.4 60fts, yeah I know it sucks - but I am at least consistant with this ), I was able to muster 15.6 in the quarter fairly consistantly. With the addition of the new header (keep in mind this is with the stock Si exhaust), I dropped this time to 15.4. I also found that my cheapo O'Riley replacement clutch is slipping - so I feel better times will be had once I get a better clutch. I haven't gotten to a track to see how accurate the Gtech is as far as 1/4 mile times, but it is really consistant run-to-run - so it can be used to see improvements, and the reason that I purchased it in the first place.

Fit and finish:

The Dynatech header is a very nice piece. Thick flanges, nice ceramic coating, nice welds, and a nice merge in the collector area. The only area that I had even the least amount of trouble with was the support bracket that is just before the catalytic converter - it is a tight fit. But, once you get the bolts in, every thing else lines up perfectly.

Extras:

Included with the header is a sintered metal donut gasket (the part that goes between the collector and cat) and an extension wiring harness for the Oxygen sensor. Both work well, although I replaced my O2 with a generic type and can't vouch for the length as mine was now "custom". The wiring harness is a basic piece, but includes OEM type connectors and a loom around the wires. My header was shipped to me without the harness, but all it took was a call to Dynatech and I had it the next day!

Not included:

Exhaust manifold gasket - had to purchase this along with a new stud (found that one of mine had broken) from Honda. What is interesting is that I personally know of 2 other people who have had problems with these studs on their Honda's - one another Z6, the other a B18. Mine was broken off in the head, so an EZout was used for removal.

Overall:

Very pleased with this mod - didn't notice a loss in Low-end like I had thought would be possible with the 4-1. Even with the stock exhaust, it defintately sounded meaner - can't wait to hear it when I get the new 2.5" exhaust run! Fits good, looks good, performs well.

My $.02
civicminded92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2004, 09:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 robtec is learning the way of the Drobtec is learning the way of the D

any pics??
robtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2004, 10:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 robtec is learning the way of the Drobtec is learning the way of the D

i found some info:

Polished silver ceramic high temperature finish inside and out.
Long tube 4-1 equal length design for increased horsepower.
1 5/8 mandrel bent premium grade tube for maximum exhaust flow.
CNC laser machined port matched flange.

SportMaxx Features & Benefits

Extra thick (.375), CNC laser machined header flange for Superior Gasket Sealing.

Heavy-wall premium mild steel (.065)header tubing for outstanding performance and durability.

Long tube 4-1 design header for increased mid-range and top-end power.

Smooth, long transition 4-1 collector, is fully welded and retains factory location of hanger bracket, outlet flange, and O2 bung, for direct fit.

High-flow mandrel bent tubing has increased exhaust velocity for improved horsepower and torque over OE style press bending.

High temperature silver ceramic coating is applied inside and out, then fully polished, for a show quality finish and thermal barrier protection.

if only i could see wath does the collector look on the inside
robtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2004, 10:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

S Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

looks damn nice .. how much did you pay for it ?
S Q A D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2004, 06:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

I bought the header from Jeg's for $319 and change - heres a link:

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...78&prmenbr=361

The collector is a pretty nice merge piece, wish I had taken pictures before I put it on. Almost makes a sharp point in the middle - it is a good design.
civicminded92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2007, 05:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 dkid15  is slowly gaining respectdkid15  is slowly gaining respectdkid15  is slowly gaining respectdkid15  is slowly gaining respectdkid15  is slowly gaining respect
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dkid15

Thats hella nice for 319 why dont people buy these header like the DC piece, The long primaries on these look like theyd make great power. Im gonna mak a thread.
dkid15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in